Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Plans On Big Changes After 2012-2014: No More Navigation?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-10, 04:11 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That would be pretty dumb. Imagine how many car thieves would target Lexus. My phone has a better navi anyway so i dont really care.
Old 12-25-10, 04:25 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

this will never happen.

replacing oem nav with ipad ? hahaha.

with the ipad's limitations, that is simply a dumb move.
Old 12-25-10, 10:56 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That has to be one of the more stupid rumors I have heard. I guess the person who made up that rumor figures the iPad will always have direct line of sight with the satellite and a good GPS signal. No need for Dead Reckoning in THEIR opinion I guess.
Old 12-25-10, 11:49 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Certain items in cars will always be targeted theft items, but I think if the tablet is used, it will be non removable and unique to whatever brand adopts it.

What they have now is great, just I would like to update my maps without a yearly fee, should be wifi capable at least in the garage or driveway to do so
Old 12-25-10, 11:53 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Just imagine having to unhook the thing and carry it with you everywhere you go cuz your car will get broken into. Just imagine, a 10inch tablet is with you everywhere you go, including the bathroom. I'm ok with my Droid X plugged in playing music while giving me directions at the same time.
Old 12-26-10, 01:43 AM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
5) Using a standard gizmo like an iPad will reduce costs both to build and repair. When my Nav screen died, the dealer said a complete system is as much as $11K.
How does a $2,500-ish option cost $11,000 to replace? If it cost $11,000 to be produced and installed then is Lexus actually losing money on each vehicle they make that's equipped with NAV?
Old 12-26-10, 10:27 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

Felix

That is the auto parts game.

If you bought all the parts it took to make a car, you would spend a multiple of the purchase price.

This is one of the drivers for car theft (the parts).

The tablet theft point is and interesting one and something I am sure the manufacturers will resolve prior to putting these in cars. My guess would be something similar to theft deterrent radios with a code of some sort.
Old 12-26-10, 03:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by felixsc300
How does a $2,500-ish option cost $11,000 to replace? If it cost $11,000 to be produced and installed then is Lexus actually losing money on each vehicle they make that's equipped with NAV?
find a dealer and ask them about putting in a full factory navigation systems (including all harnesses) in a non-nav car and you will get a better idea. like s2000 said, automation helps a lot, that's the reason for production line
Old 12-26-10, 04:03 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

I would suspect that Toyota will have a base package and would hopefully allow end-user firmware and software updates. Hardware advances are a losing prospect though. With a touch screen interface, they could theoretically design hardware modules that could be updated with features. Now if one desires 3D or super high resolution screens...that is another problem.
Old 12-26-10, 11:26 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Thumbs down

1) Anything is better than an iDrive derived set up
Agreed.

2) Templin admitted they can't keep up with tech so just leave it to Apple
Have a reference?

3) Having an iPad does not keep Lexus from having their own software package driving the screen.
True enough, but how is Lexus going to keep it to themselves? Apple may not be willing to sign any type of proprietary thing for another company, despite requiring it for themselves.

4) As long as Apple keeps a standard size/packaging, this set up would allow for easy updates through swap outs.
Easy, as in quick and free? Or it's going to cost every time you do a simple update? And how is Lexus going to get things under control and prevent people from pirating the software?

5) Using a standard gizmo like an iPad will reduce costs both to build and repair. When my Nav screen died, the dealer said a complete system is as much as $11K.
Maybe, but what is the warranty on an ipad? Are they going to step up and offer a longer warranty because of the car you drive? Doubtful.

6) Internet stuff is going to be common in cars and the iPad makes that part easy.
Define. I don't see how that would make it easy, since the would still need to be wifi more available since the ipad doesn't have a Qualcomm chip in it.

7) Who makes better interfaces than Apple?
Can't say their interface is good since I refuse to purchase any products from them. I don't buy proprietary products if I can help it, and $85 to change a battery that doesn't hold a charge is ridiculous.

8) If Apple hardware is in place from the factory, iPhone integration will be perfect
Great, provided you have or want an ifone. I have no desire to own one, nor will I. ipad has even less of a chance of getting my money, which is interesting since ifone has zero chance, now we're talking Apple would have to pay me to take that piece of Macintrash.

Big Mack
Old 12-27-10, 05:43 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

The iPad has a data option, so anywhere you can get lousy A T & T service you can get the internet. WiFi is not needed. Same with GPS, if a car can read the satellites so can the iPad.

The iPad battery would not be a concern as the car would power it. Now if the car battery goes dead...

I say the iPad is not an option, because you have to touch it so much to interact with it. Voice command, voice command, voice command...beam me up Scotty type interface is where it's at.
Old 12-27-10, 06:45 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It looks like "factory" nav systems are going the way of side curtains and running boards. Most consumers have discovered the little Garmin, TomTom, and Magellan devices are pretty bullet-proof. They have gotten pretty cheap too. I saw a TomTom at Sam's last week with lifetime maps and traffic for about $80. Why pay $1,200 to $1,800 for the factory unit, then pay $200-$300 every year or two to update the maps. In what world does that make sense?

Of course, if you've got a big screen up there you can use it to display a lot of other stuff, like back-up cameras, entertainment and HVAC settings, but we have other ways to display that information. True, the pocket nav systems don't have dead reckoning, but the satellite lock is so solid with most that you don't lose a fix for long - except for in a tunnel . . . but even my wife finds it difficult to get lost in a tunnel.

I'm afraid automakers haven't kept up with the price points established in the aftermarket, and as even your telephone can provide pretty good GPS positioning on the fly, factory nav may begin to look like a power connection built into the dash - for your own GPS.
Old 12-27-10, 10:42 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

regarding ipad:
sorry to say, but it took lexus forever to get rid of the cassette player ( more like pointing and laughing) and then to finally have ipod integration

Originally Posted by situman
Just imagine having to unhook the thing and carry it with you everywhere you go cuz your car will get broken into. Just imagine, a 10inch tablet is with you everywhere you go, including the bathroom.
doesn't this somewhat remind us back in the days with pull-out car stereo?

Old 12-27-10, 11:50 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

Bic Mack (not Mac)

Thanks for your replies/questions.

Regarding the paraphrase from Mr. Templin, I believe he mentioned that during a recent lunch time Q and A he did. He did not mention Apple though.

I like your points about Apple pricing and concede that they charge alot more than Micrsoft based tech for similar goods. The thing is, lots of people are paying those prices because the stuff is cool, just works and makes you happy. Mr. Gates (Satan dressed as a philanthropist) has lower priced stuff that non techies hate because we can't figure out how to use it or it freezes or conks out in the middle of a big project.

I think clanking on Apple as junk is going a bit far. Folks like what they like. Maybe a droid oriented gizmo will be an option too.

Regarding swap outs, no way that would be free, but then again it should be simpler than servicing what is in there now.

With the right software, there is no reason to believe an iPad couldn't do voice commands.

With in car internet, multiple providers would offer car oriented services like Nav so you could use the Lexus provided function or pick your own vendor.
Old 12-27-10, 11:59 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

initially, yes. But like all other devices, it will be so common that nobody would want to steal them...unless you are in a seedy area where they even steal the weatherstrip off the windows..

Toyota and Tape cassette....that is LOL.
In fact they still use the little digital clock on the IS that they started off with....

Quick Reply: Lexus Plans On Big Changes After 2012-2014: No More Navigation?