Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW guys were on an anti-Japan tirade, so I shared some data

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-11, 10:18 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i am just being honest here. trying to further separate lexus and toyota imho is more like avoiding the topic. i personally don't mind my car being a toyota (and i think it is). it's just an upscale toyota (fine with that) and it's solid
Well its fine if you say it, I am okay with it too, but most people bring the point up to be derogatory. They feel fine to call your Lexus a Toyota, but when you call their Audi a VW they will turn red with anger lol.
Old 01-01-11, 10:23 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikez
Well its fine if you say it, I am okay with it too, but most people bring the point up to be derogatory. They feel fine to call your Lexus a Toyota, but when you call their Audi a VW they will turn red with anger lol.
The difference between Lexus sedans and Toyota sedans (ES and SUVs excepted) is much more striking than the difference between Audi and VW sedans. The RWD/FWD difference, and the different engines, ensure a completely different driving experience. That can't be said of the A4, A5, A6, Passat, CC.
Old 01-01-11, 04:17 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by batman75
Yes this is an interesting point. The Tahara plant which built my car, only makes Lexus.

But the Dresden plant that builds the Bentley Continental Flying Spur also builds Volkswagens.
not true at all. My 06 4runner was build at Tahara plant.
Old 01-01-11, 04:58 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by STIG
not true at all. My 06 4runner was build at Tahara plant.
Yes you're right. For some reason I had read "The Lexus Story" by Jonathan Mahler, I had thought the plant was built exclusively for Lexus. However I just looked up the plant on Wikipedia, and it says they assemble several Toyota vehicles including the 4 Runner and the Rav 4.

BMW guys often say this is an example of Lexus being same as Toyota because it comes from the same plant. I think that's nonsense. I would say back to them, what about the X3.

X3 is built at the Magnasteyr plant in Graz which produces:
BMW X3
Chrysler 300
Jeep Commander
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Mercedes G Class
Saab 9-3 cabrio
Aston Martin Rapide
Mini
Old 01-01-11, 06:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by mikez
agreed
Old 01-01-11, 09:08 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by batman75
Yes you're right. For some reason I had read "The Lexus Story" by Jonathan Mahler, I had thought the plant was built exclusively for Lexus. However I just looked up the plant on Wikipedia, and it says they assemble several Toyota vehicles including the 4 Runner and the Rav 4.
It doesn't matter. My 06 4runner is one of the most well built car and Tahara plant is rated #1 plant in the world. My IS350 and my dad's LS460 was built there also.