Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

C&D: Hyundai Equus tops the LS460L AWD

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-12, 04:51 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so it is very well possible that people on this very site/thread could be getting money from hyundai to bump these threads?

well i can assure you that aside from giving me a free eqquos i'm afraid they wouldn't get any positive remarks from me, even then i would prolly just criticize it,,, they may get some POS remarks out of me, but not positive remarks

i'm just trying to figure out how these new hyundai's come with such a large ego boost? seems like everyone of them lately drives down the highway like their in a new Rolls. "its just a hyundai dude, get over it, in a year your car won't even be new and thats all its got going for it anyways "

Last edited by sojah; 01-09-12 at 05:05 AM.
Old 01-09-12, 12:12 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Exactly. Their paid marketing team inundates car forums with Hyundai/Kia posters. Multiple sites have caught on and complain about it, even Hyundai forums!

[
They are annoying.
Old 01-09-12, 12:48 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

there is a new user on the LS430 section that keeps bringing up hyundais in a few various LS430 threads and i'm like, qua¿¿¿
Old 01-09-12, 01:43 PM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

LS equals timeless, Classic, lasting impression - not to mention it is built by the most elite teams of disciplined automotive assemblers in the world. These other car companies go out and purchase the superior products like the Lexus, tear it down, reverse engineer it and try to clone it without infringing on patents and design cues.

Lexus has done wonderfully in attracting masses to thier Luxury Brand and continues to give satisfaction to a loyal customer Base.

I don't care how hard other car manufacturers attempt to match what Lexus has done and is doing - because the fact of the matter is they are still well ahead of the competition due to a solid foundation they erected years ago. There is no other car company that made such a lasting impact as Lexus. They did not introduce an inferior product that only deteriorated a few years later forcing the consumers to make face like all other manufacturers did, no sir. They unveiled not only a product but a practice that STOMPED the competition into a mudhole.

these other companies eventually caught on to the game sure - and Lexus may have slipped up here and there and fell behind in some areas I admit, but it is well in the 4th quarter, Lexus has the Ball, 1st down with a remarkable lead....still.

to all you other Cloners,

good luck.

Last edited by Marklouis; 01-09-12 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-09-12, 04:44 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

What he said ^ ^ ^. +1
Old 01-09-12, 05:12 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

I stopped reading or believing anything these car "magazines" put out a long time ago.

For example, Motor Week... those guys seem to only talk about the positive and sugar coat the crap out of anything negative so it doesn't seem so bad. It's like they are afraid to hurt someone's feelings. You will never get the truth out of these magazines or tv shows. I bet they have a guide that only allows them to say certain things and completely forbids them to say what really matters to consumers (ie... nobody gives a rat's *** how well the Accord sedan does the slalom run).
Old 01-09-12, 05:27 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,369 Likes on 1,554 Posts

Originally Posted by Marklouis
There is no other car company that made such a lasting impact as Lexus.
i'll have what you're drinking or smoking.

lexus' (i.e., toyota's) accomplishments are many and highly impressive and i'm not trying to take any of that away! but saying no other company has made such a lasting impact about a division with only 22 years of longevity is funny. i mean... ferrari? rolls-royce? mercedes benz? oh and gm and ford!
Old 01-09-12, 07:09 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Although the Hyundai may be seen as a better value for the dollar now, I can remember when the Pony looked like a way better deal than the Civic or the Corolla. Those that bought them found out five years later
is that their vehicles depreciated more than 70% while the other two stayed at more than half of original price. I say this based on my sisters and my experience. I paid 2K more for a civic and sold it for 5k more than she was able to sell her Pony for. A month later the bottom dropped out of the market on them.

When you are buying a Lexus or other Luxury car then you are buying prestige and reliabily and heritage. Hyundai does not offer that at this point. If you want a cheap car, then buy a cheap car.

Value is a personal ideal. I have a 450H, people ask why I would spend the extra for the Hybrid. My answer is because I wanted a hybrid and I fully expect to get back the premium later when I sell. The gas milage will be my own personal benefit.
Old 01-10-12, 06:25 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i'll have what you're drinking or smoking.

lexus' (i.e., toyota's) accomplishments are many and highly impressive and i'm not trying to take any of that away! but saying no other company has made such a lasting impact about a division with only 22 years of longevity is funny. i mean... ferrari? rolls-royce? mercedes benz? oh and gm and ford!
ok, you caught me on my soap box. and yes it was before the championship game yesterday so I had a little "tunnel" vision.

how about "more of a lasting impact than any other car in it's category in it's era?"

so there.

I actually like the story of Ferruccio Lamborghini's start-up best.

Last edited by Marklouis; 01-10-12 at 06:43 AM.
Old 01-19-12, 06:13 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

I just looked at an Equus yesterday and I have to say I was very impressed. I thought the car looked great and had all of the options of a loaded Executive package LS460 for $65k which is about $30k less then the LS. While I too would be worried about depreciation, $30k is a lot less, the warranty is longer and they pick up the car for service. Maybe a lease would be better if one were to buy this car because of the depreciation and since the lease price for the couple 2011's left at the dealer were about $600 per month, that is tough to beat. I like the looks of my LS better but I will say this car looks good too and I personally wouldn't mind leasing one since you can just get rid of it after three years. The only downside for me is they don't make them in all wheel drive.
Old 01-21-12, 09:04 AM
Fulorian
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All the talk of depreciation is entirely assumed. Go look at the MSRP on Hyundai Genesis vs what they resell for. It's actually extremely high relative to similar cars. Definitely some logical fallacies going on here: Hyundai products are better, but still depreciate massively! Gee, I wonder what causes depreciation in the first place...

Their old products were junk. So they depreciated. Their new products are not junk. Their new products aren't depreciating as much. THEY know their products aren't depreciating as much, but the consumer doesn't, which is why they do things like the guaranteed trade in value program. They already have a good idea what their products will do, and they're putting their money where their mouth is.
Old 01-21-12, 10:10 AM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll admit, Hyundai is definitely taking over the market somewhat with their vehicles. Im glad to see them come such a long way.
Old 01-21-12, 02:02 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Can I ask why the average US consumer chooses to buy junk at dirt cheap prices rather than pay a little more for something quality???
Old 01-21-12, 03:20 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sojah
Can I ask why the average US consumer chooses to buy junk at dirt cheap prices rather than pay a little more for something quality???
those are silly people, same goes to the magazine review.

Who would do a performance test comparison on AWD LWB vs RWD? It's utterly silly. I wonder how much Hyundai paid them to do so.
Old 01-21-12, 05:55 PM
Dema
Pole Position

I do not know where you got the data about average consumer, but I am confident every financial adviser will tell you that buying a new car is silly, why take deprecation hit, when you can buy 3 years old car with CPO warranty twenty grand less?

Quick Reply: C&D: Hyundai Equus tops the LS460L AWD