Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

C&D: Hyundai Equus tops the LS460L AWD

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-12, 06:15 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Hyundai has done a great job. To be compared to a Lexus is either great for Hyundai or pathetic for Lexus.

20 years, the press was comparing the LS to the S class and 7 series, today the press is comparing the LS to a Hyundai.

I hope the next LS is the top of class and the press would not dare compare to a Hyundai.
They compare it to the LS because it's an engineered LS clone. Note how most of these comparison reviews note that, and the Car and Driver one has it as the theme.

Originally Posted by CarandDriver
If this über-Hyundai isn’t a hit, however, it won’t be for lack of sedulous benchmarking. When Korean engineers set about copying the modern LS, they swallowed their inventiveness and simply deployed a really good Xerox machine. Consider: In length, width, height, and front and rear track, the Equus and Lexus LS460L are cut from common cloth. In our sound-level measurements, they *differ by a max of one decibel. Their 70-mph braking potential is *separated by 12 inches. Their skidpad clinginess hovers within two-hundredths of a g. Their acceleration to 30, 60, and 100 mph varies by but a tenth. Their elapsed times through the quarter-mile are identical. Their 4.6-liter V-8s differ in displacement by one cubic inch.
It's not a knock on Lexus for another brand to clone its cars and for the media to compare those clones to the originals. If anything, Hyundai choosing to clone the LS instead of the S-class et al speaks volumes about the LS.
Old 01-21-12, 11:05 PM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Dema
I do not know where you got the data about average consumer, but I am confident every financial adviser will tell you that buying a new car is silly, why take deprecation hit, when you can buy 3 years old car with CPO warranty twenty grand less?
because used cars have other peoples' icky germs on it?
Old 01-22-12, 07:05 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they always say bad publicity is better than no publicity
Old 01-22-12, 07:56 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
because used cars have other peoples' icky germs on it?
Is that the same as cooties?
Old 01-22-12, 07:54 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,483 Likes on 1,631 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
They compare it to the LS because it's an engineered LS clone. Note how most of these comparison reviews note that, and the Car and Driver one has it as the theme.

It's not a knock on Lexus for another brand to clone its cars and for the media to compare those clones to the originals. If anything, Hyundai choosing to clone the LS instead of the S-class et al speaks volumes about the LS.
great post

Originally Posted by sojah
Can I ask why the average US consumer chooses to buy junk at dirt cheap prices rather than pay a little more for something quality???
Originally Posted by cino
those are silly people, same goes to the magazine review.
meanwhile, walmart is laughing all the way to the bank serving those 'silly people'.

what i find funny is that lexus used to be considered the quality VALUE proposition and MB owners for example, snooty and rich paying too much. now many lexus fans are being snooty about scrappy upstart hyundai. hyundai's got a LOOOOOONG way to go to catch lexus, and maybe that's not really what it wants to do. but cars like genesis and equus are a heck of an accomplishment from a company that made some really crappy cars a decade ago. even more impressive perhaps, in their segments, are sonata / optima and elantra.

i don't know why this review is comparing an awd LS though to an equus and no surprise the lexus wins.

but the scrappy upstart is just getting started...
Old 01-23-12, 01:17 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
great post

meanwhile, walmart is laughing all the way to the bank serving those 'silly people'.

what i find funny is that lexus used to be considered the quality VALUE proposition and MB owners for example, snooty and rich paying too much. now many lexus fans are being snooty about scrappy upstart hyundai. hyundai's got a LOOOOOONG way to go to catch lexus, and maybe that's not really what it wants to do. but cars like genesis and equus are a heck of an accomplishment from a company that made some really crappy cars a decade ago. even more impressive perhaps, in their segments, are sonata / optima and elantra.

i don't know why this review is comparing an awd LS though to an equus and no surprise the lexus wins.

but the scrappy upstart is just getting started...
Ok, I take back the "silly" thing. Hyundai is trying to be the old Lexus, but I don't see it works for them, at least not this generation Equus. Equus is like the LS clone, seriously. At least the old LS was relatively similar to Crown( design wise), which is Toyota product when they competed with S class/7 Series.
Old 01-23-12, 10:03 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

my wife asked me the other day when we will likely see an original hyundai design... she is not a car person by any stretch but apparently can even tell that every model of hyundai is a direct rip off of 1 or 2 other present model cars... i was laughing so hard my eyes started watering after she said this
Old 01-23-12, 10:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
For example, Motor Week... those guys seem to only talk about the positive and sugar coat the crap out of anything negative so it doesn't seem so bad. It's like they are afraid to hurt someone's feelings. You will never get the truth out of these magazines or tv shows. I bet they have a guide that only allows them to say certain things and completely forbids them to say what really matters to consumers (ie... nobody gives a rat's *** how well the Accord sedan does the slalom run).
I've noticed a lot of media-sugarcoating, myself, in a lot of newspaper and auto-journalist-reviews. That's why, when I do a full-review myself, I will always put an extensive list of PLUSSES and MINUSES for each vehicle I do...no exceptions. Of course, I admit those are purely my opinions based on what I objectively find. Mike (1SICKLEX), IMO, also tries to be objective in his 1SICKREVIEWs.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-24-12 at 10:29 AM.
Old 01-24-12, 10:19 AM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Equus has a ways to go. The powertrain is highly competitive as is the ride comfort but Hyundai needs to get the bugs out such as the handling, weight(nearly 4600 lbs?!?) and interior design/materials. There was an Equus in the Martin Luther King Parade with Equus badges all around front and rear and let me just say it had an immense amount of presence. It has derivative styling but it looks more old school luxury than LS or S-class copy.

Old 01-24-12, 01:47 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

i think thats a horrible angle,, look at me talk about the car all of the sudden ^ ^ ^, but when i see one all i see is the bits and pieces of the car that it took those areas from. maybe its just me but i see an image reminiscent of a woman who got a lot of plastic surgery done,, you know how they all start to look the same after they get all that work done¿

maybe my opinion will change in a few years after they've established themselves and moved onto their 2nd and 3rd iterations of this body style.

it sorta reminds me of a ford 500 or a shiny chrysler that is trying really hard to fit into a category that it is not