Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

C&D: Hyundai Equus tops the LS460L AWD

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-11, 11:20 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by madoka
So now sticker price and warranty are things no one cares about? I've repeatedly criticized the Hyundai for being overpriced. Yet to suggest that price does not matter is simply laughable. I don't exactly see any one driving around in Bugatti Supersports around here.

Any you think C&D is biased?!?!

Frankly, I find it humorously ironic how people on this forum want to pat themselves on the back over how fair and unbiased they are around here, unlike those nasty BMW fanbois or Honda ricers. Then comes a thread like this and shows how thin skinned people really are around here.
I could give a rat's azz about a 10 year warranty. Why would it matter to me? As long is it's covered for 2-4...maybe 5 years tops that's all that matters to me.

As far as price, I have zero issue with paying a premium for an S-Class, Panamera, or LS over this car. Guess which cars are on my shopping list.....the Equus is not.

Interesting that you chosen to ignore all the actual questions I asked about the "comparison" and the positives that I acknowledged.

I'll repeat it for you again. C&D is a rag that I wouldn't use to wipe my azz. They are biased and provide little useful commentary other than hard technical data that they can't "spin".

How are people here thin skinned? Because the majority of the members here aren't as enamored with Hyundai as you are they are now all fanbois and you're comparing them to BMW/Honda fanbois???

You are the one that appears to be the Hyundai badge humper that wants to ram Hyundai down everyone's throat. Good for you, you like Hyundai and the Equus....some of us here don't.

Just curious when yours is being delivered so we can all praise your superior car knowledge and congratulate you on owning the best full size sedan on the planet???
Old 01-01-11, 11:30 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

There's a good opinion about Haiyondie's "superior" warranty that I saw on another forum.

If you take a POS and slap a 10 year warranty on it, you end up with a guaranteed POS
Old 01-01-11, 11:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

everyone gets back on topic, and only post constructively. if you can't do that, leave this thread or take it to pm. if i see anymore personal baiting or attacks going on here, actions will be taken
Old 01-01-11, 11:51 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

let's take a step back and try to look at this objectively.

by comparing to the LS, C&D is only pointing out that Hyundai has a pretty damn good car in its line up.

it does not expect anyone to cross shop the 2, or even buy the Horse.

to buy equus over an LS, or even a bmw 5 series for this kind of money, you'd have to hate lexus and bmw very very much, or be an extreme Korean loyalist.

99.86958% of people are not ready to shell out $60k for a hyundai. Not even Jay Leno, and he bought a chevy Volt.
Old 01-02-11, 04:18 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
There's a good opinion about Haiyondie's "superior" warranty that I saw on another forum.

If you take a POS and slap a 10 year warranty on it, you end up with a guaranteed POS
Ha,Ha, ... Finally the truth put in a few words.
Old 01-02-11, 06:11 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally, the Equus is a complete waste of money when compared to its own Genesis...

... and C&D is better for lining birdcages than reading any "informative articles"...
Old 01-02-11, 06:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

($98,330 vs $65,400)

I'm happy the Equus won but I wouldn't buy one and I don't know one person outside the internets talking about it. They will need all the positive press they can get.
Well, Mike, I'm back home now fom surgery, and after a 4-week recovery where I'm not allowed to drive, I sure plan to review an Equus ASAP (if Hyundai will allow traditional test-drives)...along with (by CL request) the new Explorer, Focus, and Dodge Ram 1500.

I agree that those outside of the Internet are not as aware of this car as surfers. Hyundai, even at auto shows, has not done a good job of marketing it. They keep changing too many U.S.-market specs.

Keep in mind, though, when you compare these two cars, there is a big price difference. If the Equus can come anywhere near to the LS, at the prices it is projected to be going for, it may turn out to be a bargain and a half. Of course, we saw that before with the VW Phaeton.....a superb luxury-car with a bargain price......and the American public turned it down.
Old 01-02-11, 06:46 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, Mike, I'm back home now fom surgery, and after a 4-week recovery where I'm not allowed to drive, I sure plan to review an Equus ASAP (if Hyundai will allow traditional test-drives)...along with (by CL request) the new Explorer, Focus, and Dodge Ram 1500.

I agree that those outside of the Internet are not as aware of this car as surfers. Hyundai, even at auto shows, has not done a good job of marketing it. They keep changing too many U.S.-market specs.

Keep in mind, though, when you compare these two cars, there is a big price difference. If the Equus can come anywhere near to the LS, at the prices it is projected to be going for, it may turn out to be a bargain and a half. Of course, we saw that before with the VW Phaeton.....a superb luxury-car with a bargain price......and the American public turned it down.
Nice seeing you post.Mike.
Speedy recovery.

The Equus is will sell a few units but most people want that luxury badge.
Old 01-02-11, 08:05 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,268 Likes on 1,377 Posts

Originally Posted by madoka
Frankly, I find it humorously ironic how people on this forum want to pat themselves on the back over how fair and unbiased they are around here, unlike those nasty BMW fanbois or Honda ricers. Then comes a thread like this and shows how thin skinned people really are around here.
madoka, please exit this thread. You've been warned several times already on this exact topic both publicly and privately and had several inappropriate comments removed last night.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 01-02-11 at 08:18 AM.
Old 01-02-11, 08:07 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,268 Likes on 1,377 Posts

Members,

This thread has already had to be moderated for personal attacks and insults many times.

That continuing issue ends NOW guys. If you can't post in this thread about the comparitive merits of the vehicles being discussed and leave out the jabs at the individuals in the thread or general insults at membership of the CL community, then I'm going to ask you to not reply at all.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 01-02-11 at 08:28 AM.
Old 01-02-11, 08:20 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have seen the Equus a few times now and while I DO agree that it is another big step for Hyundai, I remain unimpressed by it. My roommate transports cars, and Hyundai is one of their accounts (is how I got to see it). The car is huge, lavishly appointed and def along the lines of the Genesis that they intr'ed, but IMO it just looke like a bigger version of the Genesis. They even transport the car COMPLETELY covered with the "EQUUS" name prominently displayed on the cover(Think along the lines of how an Audi or VW is transported on a truck and you will get the picture). Nice car,,yes. Will it sell,,,maybe a few for the purist of Hyundai enthusiasts. Will it overtake Lexus,, no, don't even think so. Honestly, IMO, I think we are looking at another version of what VW had on their hands with the Phaeton. I mean in the repect that the car is nice, well appointed, and uber expensive; however it WILL be biased against b/c of the name that it displays. Such was the case of the VW Phaeton, and looks to be such with the Equus.
Old 01-02-11, 08:57 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Personally I think C&D are not competent to test luxury cars. They should stick to testing cars stiff sport cars.
Old 01-02-11, 09:47 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, Mike, I'm back home now fom surgery, and after a 4-week recovery where I'm not allowed to drive, I sure plan to review an Equus ASAP ......
Originally Posted by Joeb427
Nice seeing you post.Mike.
Speedy recovery.

The Equus is will sell a few units but most people want that luxury badge.
+1... welcome back Mike, glad to see you're back... get well, we'll all look forward to the review
Old 01-02-11, 09:56 AM
LexFather

Welcome back Mike.
There is a $32,000 price difference in this comparo. However most LS's are in the 70-80k range before any discounts so the price advantage won't be as dramatic as in this comparo.

The Phaeton didn't really have a bargain price, it was quite pricey especially in W12 form.

Surely the Equus is a fantastic car and I don't think the issue or battle is with the LS, S/7 etc. What is the battle is Hyundai offers something Caddy, Saab, Volvo, Acura, Infiniti, Lincoln does NOT offer. That is saying something.

Don't expect people to drop their Lexus, Benz, BMW for this. However expect people from those other brands to maybe move into an Equus since they already own a brand with average to little image. So the Equus makes sense to them.

I am sure we both agree this is an amazing car to be offered by the brand.

Old 01-02-11, 10:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Welcome back Mike.
Thanks. Yep. Just getting back home is one big step.

The Phaeton didn't really have a bargain price, it was quite pricey especially in W12 form.
I guess it depends on what you consider 'bargain". I saw Phaeton W12s on the showroom floor for 88-90K....which sounds like a good chunk of cash, until you compare it to what rival Mercedes and BMW V12s were running at the time (often 150K or higher).

I am sure we both agree this is an amazing car to be offered by the brand.
I'm impressed with the interior I've seen in prelimimary pictures, but I'll leave judgement, as always, to a review/test-drive. One thing I don't like though, is that the U.S.-market pedestrian-impact regs may not allow the nice RR-style Flying-Lady hood ornament. Maybe (?) Hyundai will offer it as a retractable under-hood option like RR does.

Quick Reply: C&D: Hyundai Equus tops the LS460L AWD