Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

C&D: Hyundai Equus tops the LS460L AWD

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-11, 10:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
+1... welcome back Mike, glad to see you're back... get well, we'll all look forward to the review
Thanks, Russ. Just, this time, look forward to it for a little longer than usual.....it won't just be one or two weeks.
Old 01-02-11, 10:46 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by madoka
Any you think C&D is biased?!?!

Frankly, I find it humorously ironic how people on this forum want to pat themselves on the back over how fair and unbiased they are around here, unlike those nasty BMW fanbois or Honda ricers. Then comes a thread like this and shows how thin skinned people really are around here.
I imagine if C&D picked the LS as the winner, people would be singing the praises of C&D

As others have already pointed out, I too have doubts the Hyundai dealer network can market to potential upscale buyers. However, the fact that the Equus is competitive with the LS is very impressive.
Old 01-02-11, 11:09 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

The Equus will find its niche in the market just like every other new car does, and just like the Genesis before it.

It sounds like a decent car, nothing revolutionary, and a year from now it will be another decent car on the makret, and something newer will have taken its place.

Nothing to get fired up about either way.
Old 01-02-11, 11:10 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
I imagine if C&D picked the LS as the winner, people would be singing the praises of C&D

As others have already pointed out, I too have doubts the Hyundai dealer network can market to potential upscale buyers. However, the fact that the Equus is competitive with the LS is very impressive.
For me I think C&D has clearly favored the sport Lexus as the LFA and IS F have done very well in the mag. The review was decent to me and I have no real issue with it. The Equus competes well and cost 30 grand less and won the comparo by the ten points the LS lost due to price. If you read they really were reaching in the article.

Again they tested an AWD LS vs a RWD Equus and the AWD LS is down to 357hp instead of 380.

Again if one wants more sport in a LS, they can buy a LS sport or buy from the substantial aftermarket that offers modifications to the LS.

Old 01-02-11, 11:48 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whether the LS won or lost, this is still another worthless comparison from C&D. They tested a LOADED AWD LS against a RWD Equus? Why?

I also agree with others that C&D is definitely NOT qualified to test luxury cars, or more specifically luxury sedans.

Furthermore, I take C&D comments with a grain of salt here. I have heard from several reviews now that the Equus at high speed is "scary" to drive in terms of handling and stability. In comparison the LS is fairly calm at high speeds. I don't see how C&D could make such comments about the Equus with regards to tracking.

Also what about ride quality? That is far more important in a luxury sedan than the amount of body roll or feedback from steering and brakes.
Old 01-02-11, 12:07 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Whether the LS won or lost, this is still another worthless comparison from C&D. They tested a LOADED AWD LS against a RWD Equus? Why?

I also agree with others that C&D is definitely NOT qualified to test luxury cars, or more specifically luxury sedans.

Furthermore, I take C&D comments with a grain of salt here. I have heard from several reviews now that the Equus at high speed is "scary" to drive in terms of handling and stability. In comparison the LS is fairly calm at high speeds. I don't see how C&D could make such comments about the Equus with regards to tracking.

Also what about ride quality? That is far more important in a luxury sedan than the amount of body roll or feedback from steering and brakes.
They should have tested LS460 or Sport, and definitely not loaded up LS460 AWD.
Old 01-02-11, 02:12 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by madoka
In the latest Car and Driver, they compared the two and the Hyundai beat the Lexus.

Reasons for the victory:

- better sticker price
- better warranty
- less body roll
- tracks better
- better NAV
- better transmission
- "grittier"
- better steering
- better feedback from brakes and steering
- better owner's manual

Personally I think Hyundai screwed up the introduction of this car to the U.S.

- the all-important reclining rear passenger seat in the Ultimate version is strictly for midgets

- everyone knows the 5.0 V8 (about 40 more HP) with 8 speed transmission is coming out next year. However, if the 4.8 can already beat Lexus, then Lexus better come out with something great to counter the 5.0.

- they priced it too high relative to the street price of the Lexus LS460. Hell, it's priced too high relative to the V8 Genesis which has the exact same engine/transmission for $27,000 less

That said, it's an impressive win. Now cue those that think C&D is worthless, biased against Lexus, are a bunch of hacks, etc.
Well said. I'm pretty confident if we compare this same Equuis to the LS AWD 10 years from now and see which car will stand up to the test of time. Who is C&D joking...compare a 10 year old Camry to a 10 year old Sonata with similar mileage. No contest.
Old 01-02-11, 02:54 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Who is C&D joking...compare a 10 year old Camry to a 10 year old Sonata with similar mileage. No contest.
times are changing.

a 10 year old sonata in 2019 may end up in better condition than the camry.
i have seen plenty of beat up 2000-2002 camrys. so camrys are nothing to brag about

anyway, I'd like to see a C&D review of Equus vs Rolls ghost.

the equus is the newcomer, and everyone likes to chit on the newcomer.
it needs a gang initiation.
Old 01-02-11, 03:05 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
times are changing.

i have seen plenty of beat up 2000-2002 camrys. so camrys are nothing to brag about

Times are changing but Hyundai still has not caught up to the game. We'll have to wait and see if a 2001 Hyundai Sonata will even make it to 2019. Most likely, they will end up in a junk yard for spare parts. Just look at the street value for a private party good for a comparable Camry and Sonata. A lesser Camry 4cyl LE is worth 2k more than a high line Sonata with a V6 of the same year and mileage. I've seen plenty of beat up 2001 Sonatas, and they do not hold up, especially with interior materials, fit and finish.

Equus is certainly the newcomer as Hyundai is still behind. It took them 4 years to develop a car that Lexus had already started developing nearly 10 years ago.
Old 01-02-11, 03:08 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

the 2010 Sonata might be stand a chance next to the 2010 Camry 10 years from now, too early to tell but the hybrid and turbo models are surely going to put Hyundai in a great position
Old 01-02-11, 03:33 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why did they remove Air Suspension as standard from LS AWD?
Its a shame really because car like that should have it standard, much better ride. As a matter of fact it comes standard everywhere else except the US.
Old 01-02-11, 05:57 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

There are some pretty vast differences between the two. Before anything has said anything when comparing both vehicles, you have to have sat and experienced both. When I checked out the Equus last year, it was not comparable to the comfort of an LS. Like Lexus did, Hyundai will have to pay their dues, work hard and earn their respect, they know that already.
Old 01-02-11, 07:04 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dunnojack
times are changing.

The important part is that you actually see them. How many 2000-2002 Sonatas do you see on the road? I literally have not seen any 2000-2002 Sonatas for months now on the roads. It's commendable that there ARE that many old Camrys on the road. Old Sonatas have probably either rusted away, or had major reliability problems and went to the scrap yard.

Judging by the quality of even the newest Hyundai models, I doubt a 10 year old Sonata in 2019 will end up in better shape than a 10 year old Camry by then.

With problems like very thin exterior metal, poor anti-corrosion coatings on subframes, and suspect electrical wiring on fairly new Kia and Hyundai models (just to name a few), how well do you think a Hyundai or Kia will last long term?
Old 01-02-11, 11:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
The important part is that you actually see them. How many 2000-2002 Sonatas do you see on the road? I literally have not seen any 2000-2002 Sonatas for months now on the roads. It's commendable that there ARE that many old Camrys on the road. Old Sonatas have probably either rusted away, or had major reliability problems and went to the scrap yard.

Judging by the quality of even the newest Hyundai models, I doubt a 10 year old Sonata in 2019 will end up in better shape than a 10 year old Camry by then.

With problems like very thin exterior metal, poor anti-corrosion coatings on subframes, and suspect electrical wiring on fairly new Kia and Hyundai models (just to name a few), how well do you think a Hyundai or Kia will last long term?
just for counter argument (which i don't know the answer), i don't think hyundai sold as many sonata 2000-2002 compared to camry, if so then your comparison doesn't hold very strong. but i do get your point, old hyundai weren't as reliable. while i don't think recent hyundai quality (even the genesis) are as good as lexus, but they are far better than what they were in the past, and they are clearly improving
Old 01-03-11, 12:08 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
just for counter argument (which i don't know the answer), i don't think hyundai sold as many sonata 2000-2002 compared to camry, if so then your comparison doesn't hold very strong. but i do get your point, old hyundai weren't as reliable. while i don't think recent hyundai quality (even the genesis) are as good as lexus, but they are far better than what they were in the past, and they are clearly improving
Just to further add to this, the few 2000-2002 Sonatas that I have seen on the road over the past year were in pretty bad shape.

They are improving, but have yet to prove that they can match Toyota or Honda in long-term reliability. The Genesis, and all other recently new Hyundai models are still new. We have to wait and see several years before we get an idea of how reliable they will be.

I would also love to see the warranty claim data for Hyundai over the past several years, although that info is likely hard to get.

Quick Reply: C&D: Hyundai Equus tops the LS460L AWD