Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

C&D: Hyundai Equus tops the LS460L AWD

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-11 | 06:34 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
the owners manual in the Equus is an ipad
I would be willing to bet that used Equus will not have owners manuals, they could of easily put an extra drive on the car just for the owners manual with the ability to watch videos on the display screen
Old 01-12-11 | 06:58 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Saw a TV ad last night and the Equus comes with 5/60 free maintenance which is a nice incentive..
Old 01-12-11 | 08:38 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Saw a TV ad last night and the Equus comes with 5/60 free maintenance which is a nice incentive..
really? funny to see how that catches on years after bmw started doing it.

shouldn't we bash this coz' people argue the cost is added to the purchase price already?
Old 01-12-11 | 08:44 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl

shouldn't we bash this coz' people argue the cost is added to the purchase price already?

Probably not because the Equus has a lot for the price tag.
Old 01-12-11 | 09:56 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl

We've had this discussion many times before Henry.

You and I both know it is included in BMW's pricing. The convenience of it being rolled in is fine by me.

Like Joe mentioned, at the price point of the Equus there is a lot of car there. Remember most people buying this car will be moving from one of the other lower tier brands, not coming from a BMW/MB/Lexus, so they won't be used to the "included" maintenance and will likely be very excited.
Old 01-12-11 | 10:30 AM
COOLIS
Instructor

Has Hyundai sold a single Equus yet? I see on the internet that dealers all over the country are starting to get them, but I haven't heard of anyone buying one. Hyundai is doing a great job revamping their line up, but they need to get rid of some of their models. I thought the Genesis coupe took the place of the Tiburon, but now I heard they're bringing it back along with the Azera. Hyundai is going to flood its line up with to many cars that are alike. Its all overkill. I will say the Equus is a nice car. It was getting swarmed at the LA auto show in November, maybe due to the placement right when you walk in.
Old 01-12-11 | 10:39 AM
LexFather

^^^ They sold 192 last month and I think it will be fair to assess sales after 6-12 months. The goal is 3k which is 250 a month which to me seems feasible.
Old 01-12-11 | 10:40 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

I finally read the article last night, is pretty lame article I would say, it really didn't give me much of an impression of how the Equus is.

It did mention and confirmed what I predict how the Equus is, lower material quality, lower build quality and overall feel more gritty compare to the LS460L.

I am surprise to hear the Equus got less body roll though.
Old 01-12-11 | 10:45 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
^^^ They sold 192 last month and I think it will be fair to assess sales after 6-12 months. The goal is 3k which is 250 a month which to me seems feasible.
I feel it is feasible too. It is not a bad car, especially for $30k less, planty of people would appreciate that.

A fully loaded BMW 528i is $61k, the Equus Ultimate offer way more then a 528i for the same price. For anyone who actually care about what the car is then the badge, would pick the Equus.
Old 01-12-11 | 10:50 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by COOLIS
Has Hyundai sold a single Equus yet? I see on the internet that dealers all over the country are starting to get them, but I haven't heard of anyone buying one. Hyundai is doing a great job revamping their line up, but they need to get rid of some of their models. I thought the Genesis coupe took the place of the Tiburon, but now I heard they're bringing it back along with the Azera. Hyundai is going to flood its line up with to many cars that are alike. Its all overkill. I will say the Equus is a nice car. It was getting swarmed at the LA auto show in November, maybe due to the placement right when you walk in.
They are pushing the Genesis coupe upmarket on the next round to compete with the G37 coupe. The Tiburon will be a lower end FWD coupe to compete with Accord coupe. No overlap there.
Old 01-12-11 | 10:55 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by BNR34
They are pushing the Genesis coupe upmarket on the next round to compete with the G37 coupe. The Tiburon will be a lower end FWD coupe to compete with Accord coupe. No overlap there.
You know the more I think of it, every uplevel Hyundai attempt has mixed results at best.
Genesis never met sales goals
Veracruz RX 350 clone is dismal in regards to sales
Equus will be as low volume as you can get in this class
Azera never sold great

The fact of the matter is there is a lot of HYPE on the internet but it is not translating into any sort of sales domination or where the competition is taking a direct hit from them. Even the Sonata hasn't made any dent in Camry or Accord sales. There is no denying Hyundai has increased sales to all time records for them but where are they coming from?

This leads me to believe these cars are bought by loyal Hyundai fans moving up with minimal buying from people from the top brands. They probably will get a bunch of Mitsubishi and Suzuki buyers though.
Old 01-12-11 | 11:39 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
You know the more I think of it, every uplevel Hyundai attempt has mixed results at best.
Genesis never met sales goals
Veracruz RX 350 clone is dismal in regards to sales
Equus will be as low volume as you can get in this class
Azera never sold great

The fact of the matter is there is a lot of HYPE on the internet but it is not translating into any sort of sales domination or where the competition is taking a direct hit from them. Even the Sonata hasn't made any dent in Camry or Accord sales. There is no denying Hyundai has increased sales to all time records for them but where are they coming from?

This leads me to believe these cars are bought by loyal Hyundai fans moving up with minimal buying from people from the top brands. They probably will get a bunch of Mitsubishi and Suzuki buyers though.
Exactly. It seems a lot of Hyundai sales are actually coming at the expense of brands like Chrysler, Mitsubishi, and Suzuki. You can also add to a lesser extent some buyers from Ford and GM.

I think the sales figures speak for themselves, and that Hyundai is getting few Toyota and Honda buyers.

So it sounds like next-gen Genesis coupe will be what the Genesis coupe logically would have been in the first place, and the Tiburon will just be ... the Tiburon, which in other words is what the current Genesis coupe is. The question is was there ever really a need, and is there a need in the future, to have a premium coupe (G37 competitor) for Hyundai?
Old 01-12-11 | 12:09 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

The biggest negative they have going against them is their name. My mom actually likes the look of the Genesis and the Equus, but has said she would never buy one due to it being a Hyundai. The stigma that comes along with the name Hyundai is negative for the most part, although it is improving.
Old 01-12-11 | 12:26 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by COOLIS
The biggest negative they have going against them is their name. My mom actually likes the look of the Genesis and the Equus, but has said she would never buy one due to it being a Hyundai. The stigma that comes along with the name Hyundai is negative for the most part, although it is improving.
Hyundai obviously did some crazy indepth extensive research on the pros and cons of starting a new premium brand, the conclusion must have been they are better off financially to not start a new brand.

Something like it would cost X amount of dollars to start a new brand, but the extra cars they sell with the new brand is not even enough to cover the cost of the new brand......etc.

I wish Hyundai the best of luck. I like more competitions, it is better for the consumer. The next round of Lexus products will be much better and cheaper because of it

Benz/BMW/Audi sure got better because of Lexus!
Old 01-12-11 | 12:32 PM
ls460love
Driver

Default Holy *****! C&D has LS placing 2nd to Equus!

Read it for yourselves here! http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests

What a shame. It's a knock-off akin to the ones sold at flea markets. $33k less though...

Quick Reply: C&D: Hyundai Equus tops the LS460L AWD