Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

C&D: Hyundai Equus tops the LS460L AWD

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-11, 08:03 PM
madoka
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C&D: Hyundai Equus tops the LS460L AWD

In the latest Car and Driver, they compared the two and the Hyundai beat the Lexus.

Reasons for the victory:

- better sticker price
- better warranty
- less body roll
- tracks better
- better NAV
- better transmission
- "grittier"
- better steering
- better feedback from brakes and steering
- better owner's manual

Personally I think Hyundai screwed up the introduction of this car to the U.S.

- the all-important reclining rear passenger seat in the Ultimate version is strictly for midgets

- everyone knows the 5.0 V8 (about 40 more HP) with 8 speed transmission is coming out next year. However, if the 4.8 can already beat Lexus, then Lexus better come out with something great to counter the 5.0.

- they priced it too high relative to the street price of the Lexus LS460. Hell, it's priced too high relative to the V8 Genesis which has the exact same engine/transmission for $27,000 less

That said, it's an impressive win. Now cue those that think C&D is worthless, biased against Lexus, are a bunch of hacks, etc.
Old 01-01-11, 08:19 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by madoka

That said, it's an impressive win. Now cue those that think C&D is worthless, biased against Lexus, are a bunch of hacks, etc.
EDIT. They LOADED up the LS, look at the PRICE DIFFERENCE!

($98,330 vs $65,400)

I'm happy the Equus won but I wouldn't buy one and I don't know one person outside the internets talking about it. They will need all the positive press they can get.

The Equus is a one way car, one engine, only RWD. The LS can be had in SWB, LWB, Hybrid, SPORT and AWD. They tested the AWD LS vs a RWD Hyundai for whatever reason. You want more sport, you can get a LS sport for example.

I'm sure my issue is in the mail and will read it before I post my thoughts on the article.

Download issue here

http://hotmags.net/index.php/magazin...february_2011/

Last edited by LexFather; 01-01-11 at 08:31 PM.

Old 01-01-11, 08:23 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

based on logic and not fan boy behavior:

- better sticker price: this is not a pro necessarily, you have to price the car based on the fact that the Lexus is a more prestigious brand, has better craftsmanship, has better dealership experience, loaner cars, etc etc. Does this mean that the Lexus is in turn a better car than a Bentley because its cheaper? no.

- Ill give you better warranty

- less body roll? What if the car wasnt tuned to be performance oriented? how about a smoothness rating? db numbers? same for tracks better, better steering, better feedback

- better nav? perhaps...but to me, the hyundai nav looks like its a copy of the Lexus nav with an iDrive/COMAND controller. Is this due to the fact that the Lexus nav has a lockout?

-better owner's manual? ipad is a gimmick. Please, since when are owners' manuals part of rating a the criteria?
Old 01-01-11, 08:48 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

all those positives seem very petty and insignificant. They're really picking the trees, and not seeing the forest.
Luxobarges were never designed to navigate the twistys.

i wonder how much Hyundai paid under the table.

and yeah, anyone can make an ipad owner's manual. haha.
but it still doesn't have a usb port, and can't multitask....

exterior appearance is the main reason i wouldn't buy an equus. the thing just has odd proportions all around the car.
the LS looks like a jumbo camry, but the equus is worse in the aesthetics dept.
Old 01-01-11, 08:52 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

better owner's manual? WTF?!

This totally makes me want to buy an Equus. I could really use a better owner manual.
Old 01-01-11, 09:00 PM
LexFather

lol, article title

Hyundai Faithfully Clones Lexus's Iconic LS and Offers it at a Steep Discount.

Final results, LS lost by ten points 199-189. Guess what., the LS lost ten points due to price ($98,330 vs $65,400).

Also the LS AWD has 357hp and not the 380 of the other LS 460s. The article basically says the car is a clone but cheaper.

So don't believe the hype, article was decent and price was the main factor here. Not sure how they got a LS loaded to that level.

I also couldn't' help but notice the obvious mistakes and odd Lexus timeline they made with jabs at the brand whereas the Hyundai timeline they made help little or no opinion.

Last edited by LexFather; 01-01-11 at 09:06 PM.

Old 01-01-11, 09:00 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

- However, if the 4.8 can already beat Lexus, then Lexus better come out with something great to counter the 5.0.
The 4.8 already beat Lexus 4.6 in what ways?
Old 01-01-11, 09:40 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

- better owner's manual
LOL!

I don't think I have ever actually read an owners manual. When I want to know what something does, I ask a technician. I guess the Equus needs a better manual due to there being no one around to take any enquiries...
Old 01-01-11, 09:58 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

So what? Would I buy it over a LS460L , no way! I just don't see myself spending a huge chunk of money on a Hyundai yet it reminds me when VW came out with the Phaeton, I wouldn't spend that much either, $25,000 to spend on a Hyundai is OK, but $65k and unknown resale value, i'll take the Lexus all the way even a GS I would take over it.
Old 01-01-11, 10:00 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the latest Car and Driver, they compared the two and the Hyundai beat the Lexus.

Reasons for the victory:

- better sticker price (who cares? )
- better warranty (who cares? )
- less body roll (at what speed? who's racing these cars? )
- tracks better (please define)
- better NAV (matter of opinion, but the Lexus lockout is a major pita)
- better transmission (interesting as the 8 speed is pretty solid)
- "grittier" (wtf does this even mean???)
- better steering (how so?)
- better feedback from brakes and steering (this is a significant win )
- better owner's manual (who cares? )

Personally I think Hyundai screwed up the introduction of this car to the U.S.

- the all-important reclining rear passenger seat in the Ultimate version is strictly for midgets

- everyone knows the 5.0 V8 (about 40 more HP) with 8 speed transmission is coming out next year. However, if the 4.8 can already beat Lexus, then Lexus better come out with something great to counter the 5.0.

- they priced it too high relative to the street price of the Lexus LS460. Hell, it's priced too high relative to the V8 Genesis which has the exact same engine/transmission for $27,000 less

Comments on "win" above.

To your last comment. I'll be happy to tell you again that C&D " is worthless, biased against Lexus, are a bunch of hacks, etc". This article does nothing to change that opinion.
Old 01-01-11, 10:28 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts

I'd definitely take the LS over the Hyundai...
Old 01-01-11, 10:54 PM
madoka
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Final results, LS lost by ten points 199-189. Guess what., the LS lost ten points due to price [B]($98,330 vs $65,400).
Deny and spin it all you want. The Lexus also lost in every subcategory, which includes powertrain, chassis, and driving experience.
Old 01-01-11, 11:05 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

The only thing attractive to me about the Equus is the price.
Old 01-01-11, 11:05 PM
madoka
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Comments on "win" above.

To your last comment. I'll be happy to tell you again that C&D " is worthless, biased against Lexus, are a bunch of hacks, etc". This article does nothing to change that opinion.
So now sticker price and warranty are things no one cares about? I've repeatedly criticized the Hyundai for being overpriced. Yet to suggest that price does not matter is simply laughable. I don't exactly see any one driving around in Bugatti Supersports around here.

Any you think C&D is biased?!?!

Frankly, I find it humorously ironic how people on this forum want to pat themselves on the back over how fair and unbiased they are around here, unlike those nasty BMW fanbois or Honda ricers. Then comes a thread like this and shows how thin skinned people really are around here.
Old 01-01-11, 11:08 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

is the equus even awd? seems like C&D wanted to buy the most expensive LS they could find

the LS-L awd starts at over 74K with destination...that also conveniently limits the the LS's horsepower ratings and probably suspension capabilities

Quick Reply: C&D: Hyundai Equus tops the LS460L AWD