Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Giving up GS for either a M35 or 530I

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-11, 08:15 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
See, this is why you should always know what it is, why you need it, and do your research before you just shell out the money.
well my check engine light is on and it will not pass North Carolina State Inspection because the light is on. I have to have the problem addressed first & If i do not get it inspected, there is a $250.00 fine plus I will continue to get pulled over for my tag being out of date & ticketed until i get it inspected.
Old 01-02-11, 09:38 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently helped my grandfather pick out a 2008 BMW 528xi. Took it on a 4000mi trip without any problems at all. Car is very tight with no squeaks or rattles. Build quality is top notch. The fit and finish in the interior is awesome with high quality materials used (if you have premium pack). Also shrugs off corners like no other (and it doesn't have the sport pack either). It also returned pretty good mpg on the highway (24-25ish). Very commendable performance by the 5 and I definitely walk away impressed (heated steering wheel sounds gimmicky but is a sweet option to have if you live in a cold area). The 528 will be the best on gas and most reliable out of the E60 family (no turbos, fuel pump failures to worry about).

I myself am 21 and have an LS430. I picked it up over the summer and so far so good (though I only have 28k mi on it). Yes I do admit it is a bit of an old person's car, but I love the styling inside and out. The level of luxury and refinement is unmatched. Sure it doesn't corner like the 5, but most of the roads in America are straight....and this is where the LS shines with its smooth V8. The gas is can get costly, however, with my avg being 16-17 mpg. I mostly get stuck in stop and go stuff, with the car returning lower 20s on highway runs. I drive pretty conservatively most of the time, but do like to let the V8 do its thing when the cops aren't looking
Old 01-02-11, 10:17 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

An ABS pump (aka actuator) will not cause a vehicle to fail the OBD test, or at least never that I've seen, so, fix the O2 sensor (air ratio sensor) for $150 or less, and be done with it. I'll ask again, whats wrong with the ABS? Does it work? Does the ABS light on the dash come on? There is a guaranteed functioning one on ebay right now for $400... I even found a brand new one for you for $962 at dealerdirectparts.com and I'm sure there are many other places to look as well...

I would like to point out one thing - those are not all repairs, those are mostly maintenance. The fouled catalytic converter, thats a repair, but it had some age to it too. Even with all of that, I would bet you could have saved 30% just by shopping around a little.

One of the beautiful things about internet forums is the ability to share knowledge. Just because you don't know doesn't mean you can't learn in a short amount of time. Many of us, myself included, hate when people blindly pay for repairs and maintenance without really knowing what they are paying for and why. Ask... simply ask... we would love to help out, save you some money and get you in the know...

Last edited by mitsuguy; 01-02-11 at 10:25 PM.
Old 01-03-11, 05:36 AM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
An ABS pump (aka actuator) will not cause a vehicle to fail the OBD test, or at least never that I've seen, so, fix the O2 sensor (air ratio sensor) for $150 or less, and be done with it. I'll ask again, whats wrong with the ABS? Does it work? Does the ABS light on the dash come on? There is a guaranteed functioning one on ebay right now for $400... I even found a brand new one for you for $962 at dealerdirectparts.com and I'm sure there are many other places to look as well...

I would like to point out one thing - those are not all repairs, those are mostly maintenance. The fouled catalytic converter, thats a repair, but it had some age to it too. Even with all of that, I would bet you could have saved 30% just by shopping around a little.

One of the beautiful things about internet forums is the ability to share knowledge. Just because you don't know doesn't mean you can't learn in a short amount of time. Many of us, myself included, hate when people blindly pay for repairs and maintenance without really knowing what they are paying for and why. Ask... simply ask... we would love to help out, save you some money and get you in the know...
Thanks man, I appriciate it. I do not know if the ABS thing will not allow my car to pass NCSI because some cars are not even equipped with it. But its still a nice feature to have so my brakes so not lock up in a certain situation. I'm just a safety person and I like to be safe. Thats all

But I reguardless feel that its time for something a little newer. I have kept my car in fairly good condition from the looks standpoint inside and out, still get compliments on it quite often, its just that i want something newer.