Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Giving up GS for either a M35 or 530I

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-11, 08:58 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Giving up GS for either a M35 or 530I

Well its time to do a trade in and as much as I would love another Lexus product, the current generation of cars or any Lexus car new or used is doing it for me.

I already have a GS and you would think I may like to upgrade to another GS atlease a 2006 model, but this generation is not doing it for me, not sturring any emotion at all, especially the interior. It seems plain to me, but who knows I may have a change of heart when mid february rolls around.

Im 24 years old, currently drive a 2002 GS300 and wanting to trade in for either a 2006+ M35 RWD (would love the sport model w/ the aero kit) or a 2006+ 530i (RWD) BMW.

I used to work for infiniti so I driven all the cars quite often, and I love how the M35 is so stable on the road, love the interior, ride is a bit harsh but i can live with it, My GS is lowered with aftermarket wheels so its rather harsh.
I too know that the Infiniti will last longer and lower maintance cost being compared to the 530. But the paint on Infiniti's is very poor. hardly any paint on the car, so it scratches rather easily & it chugs gas big time! but everything else I love.

I Driven the BMW 530i with the Sport package and it too was very stable, so smooth and it was fairly quiet driving. I love the interior because the model I was in was loaded with everything like power rear sunshade with manual read door sunshades, head steering wheel & seats, navigation, the seats formed with my body (Sport Package) I find the Idrive isnt all that hard to use. But we all know about BMW backround and how it is not the mode reliable car, especially the generation Im looking at. Plus maintance for this thing probably would be a b*tch!

I would even settle for a 2008 528i BMW because the refresh is very sleek and modern (rather good on gas) as like the 2008 M. But I will settle with nothing other than atlease a 2006 from both brands

But I LOVE the look of the BMW with it HALO and Xenon lamps, the interior ambient lighting all over & I LOVE the look of the M with the aero kit, 19" wheels, interior layout is so relaxing i feel.

I'm going to purchase an extended warranty reguardless with any vehicle, but its still a rather hard decision because my parents are not gonna pay for anything, I'm doing this all by myself, I gotta grow up sometime.

I like bigger cars, so no compact car at all, dont want a SUV because gas prices.

I too was looking at (dont laugh!)
Audi A8 & LS430 both rather large but the A8 is a piece of crap I think, and the LS looks good but it too looks like a older person car from the side and rear.

You guys give me your honest opinion as to which you perfer. Input on other cars would be cool too, but the Bimmer and the Infiniti as to right now are at the top of my list.
Old 01-01-11, 09:03 PM
LexFather

I'd get the 530 sport, one finely balanced car and I now appreciate the exterior looks and I always liked the interior.The M35 is a nice car but never did much for me.

Old 01-01-11, 09:11 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

With the 5 series, the interior really depends on your options. I've been inside 5ers where the interior is just amazing, with even the headliner being suede, and I've been inside 5ers where the interior is minimalistic, cheap and ugly.

The last gen M didn't age well at all, and you're spot on about he paint quality. That paint develops so many swirls so fast, that it starts looking like an old Chrysler after just a couple of years.

I don't know what your budget is like, but keep in mind, when it comes to used cars, options depreciate much faster than the base car. For instance, you can get a used car that had 10-15k in options over a base model when new for just 3-4k more than a base model. And generally cars with premium engine options have more other options included - so if you were to go for a 545 or M45 they are likely to have more interior/tech/suspension/audio upgrades.
Old 01-01-11, 09:23 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
With the 5 series, the interior really depends on your options. I've been inside 5ers where the interior is just amazing, with even the headliner being suede, and I've been inside 5ers where the interior is minimalistic, cheap and ugly.

The last gen M didn't age well at all, and you're spot on about he paint quality. That paint develops so many swirls so fast, that it starts looking like an old Chrysler after just a couple of years.

I don't know what your budget is like, but keep in mind, when it comes to used cars, options depreciate much faster than the base car. For instance, you can get a used car that had 10-15k in options over a base model when new for just 3-4k more than a base model. And generally cars with premium engine options have more other options included - so if you were to go for a 545 or M45 they are likely to have more interior/tech/suspension/audio upgrades.
yeah that makes sense man. but I too have to factor in insurance and I know its going to go up with whatever I decide to purchase, I know with a V8 engine and gas prices soon to reach 4 dollars a gallon, thats not cool haha!

My buddy has a 545 and hes averaging 14mpg, yet he drives rather hard like myself. and the V6 infiniti drinks, i can only imagine how much the V8 will take.

I understand where ya coming from with the BMW interior too, the one I was looking at i cant remember what headliner it had but I dont think the headliner would faze me too much. Thats why I would like to have a 2008 model because of the updated interior but I would be happy with the atlease a 2006 model year, but I seen some pics of the interior if not taken care of, not pretty.

While we're on the topic of interiors, even though Im looking for used, the Brick interior on the BMW is BEAUTIFUL i think as like the orange-like interior on the Infiniti is nice. But finding either one, especially the BMW would be hard because I either would like White or Black exterior with the Infiniti & only Black with the BMW

Dont want to spend no more than 24k, and upon finding, there are quite a bit of choices. Plus I work for a dealer and I could get one cheap at auction and get a warranty through my dealership
Old 01-01-11, 09:29 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

There won't be that much difference in fuel mileage between a V8 and V6, trust me. Insurance could be a factor of course, being that you're still rather youngish, they will rape you
Old 01-01-11, 09:30 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts

I would go with the BMW. As for the Infiniti, I would get an 03-04 M45. In my opinion, it was one of the baddest sedans in the past ten years.

An LS430 would be sick!
Old 01-01-11, 09:35 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

LS430 Ultra is an amazing machine, not sporty at all, but its built with such quality and precision. It might be a little hard to find in the OP's budget range, at least with lower miles, but it will be reliable and probably a lot cheaper to insure than the other choices.
Old 01-01-11, 09:37 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
There won't be that much difference in fuel mileage between a V8 and V6, trust me. Insurance could be a factor of course, being that you're still rather youngish, they will rape you
yeah with the 2008 BMW, it would be an increase of $135.00 a year and I think $25.00 less with the 2006. Did not quote the Infiniti.
Old 01-01-11, 09:38 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kira X
I would go with the BMW. As for the Infiniti, I would get an 03-04 M45. In my opinion, it was one of the baddest sedans in the past ten years.

An LS430 would be sick!
I feel those model year Infinti looks so dated. I dont like the way it look.
Old 01-01-11, 09:43 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
LS430 Ultra is an amazing machine, not sporty at all, but its built with such quality and precision. It might be a little hard to find in the OP's budget range, at least with lower miles, but it will be reliable and probably a lot cheaper to insure than the other choices.
Yeah I too used to work for Lexus dealer and being inside a LS was like being in a tomb, such a solid feeling and extremely quiet. The UL is beautiful inside as with any other LS430 and the way the wood got darker at the edges is very nice. love it with black exterior and black interior.

BUT.....

heard stories that the air supension fails after a while, scary though with having to pay to have that replaced. But it looks like a old people car, im only 24 years old haha

I do know no car is perfect though.
Old 01-01-11, 10:45 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Air suspension is a lot more prone to failures than conventional suspension, it rarely lasts past 100k miles on any car equipped with it. Once it fails however, you can always replace it with conventional springs/shocks.

But once you experience air suspension, you never want to go back to conventional. It just makes all the difference in ride quality - it feels so smooth, yet solid, with no clunks of any sort.
Old 01-01-11, 11:07 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

i really like the M35, and i would choose it if it was up to me.
Old 01-01-11, 11:31 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You would know more about the M than most of us having worked at a dealership. If you like it and know it's background and history it may be a good fit for you. Personally, the car is underwhelming for me, but of course that is just my opinion.

I would caution you on the BMW. Even with an extended warranty the maintenance costs could be more than you could bear at your age. Just a thought.

What about a last gen Maxima or even TL? Decent performers with good reliablity and maintenance costs.
Old 01-02-11, 12:14 AM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't like the BMW interior...I like the infiniti interior tho
check out this m
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/vip...an-norris.html
Old 01-02-11, 12:20 AM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
You would know more about the M than most of us having worked at a dealership. If you like it and know it's background and history it may be a good fit for you. Personally, the car is underwhelming for me, but of course that is just my opinion.

I would caution you on the BMW. Even with an extended warranty the maintenance costs could be more than you could bear at your age. Just a thought.

What about a last gen Maxima or even TL? Decent performers with good reliablity and maintenance costs.
Only want a RWD car, no FWD.

Could you explain to me about the maintance cost, thats one thing that got me wondering. It would be must appriciated.

Why is the M underwhelming for you? i would like to know your opinion. be honest

Quick Reply: Giving up GS for either a M35 or 530I