Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

CES: Toyota announced Entune - internet connected infotainment system

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-11, 10:23 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by JessePS
WiFi included? I bet some passengers would like if they can use their laptops
That would be nice. I mean why not, you can get wifi on some public transit systems in the US now.
Old 01-07-11, 12:01 PM
OBRon
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Toyota Entune announced at CES

Here's the site: Toyota Entune

I checked iTunes and the app isn't there yet. Sure hope this works with the 2011 LS since I don't even have mine yet, maybe next week.

Here's where I found out about it: There's A Car In There Somewhere
Old 01-07-11, 12:13 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OBRon
Here's the site: Toyota Entune

I checked iTunes and the app isn't there yet. Sure hope this works with the 2011 LS since I don't even have mine yet, maybe next week.

Here's where I found out about it: There's A Car In There Somewhere
I suspect this will first be available on 2012 models. Unlike BMW, Toyota typically doesn't have either the processes or the willingness to make changes like this mid production cycle.
Old 01-07-11, 12:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

interesting, very nice! i hope it will have connectivity with lexus cars too
Old 01-07-11, 03:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,429 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Suweet
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Yup
Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Nice, kudos to lexus for being up to date/ahead
Originally Posted by rominl
interesting, very nice!
i don't share the enthusiasm, not just of lexus but all of them. why? because many tend to keep cars a lot longer than phones for example, and so the hardware/software in these in-car systems tends to be lame in 2 years. and these systems tend to be ridiculously expensive.

i think a better approach would be to just allow a car owner to 'snap in' an ipad, phone, or other device right into the dash and use that. then it's upgradeable. my phone already has better voice recognition than ANY car, already has a data plan, already does e-mail, text, internet, maps, nav, apps, etc. why do i want to buy that all over again?
Old 01-07-11, 03:05 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i don't share the enthusiasm, not just of lexus but all of them. why? because many tend to keep cars a lot longer than phones for example, and so the hardware/software in these in-car systems tends to be lame in 2 years. and these systems tend to be ridiculously expensive.

i think a better approach would be to just allow a car owner to 'snap in' an ipad, phone, or other device right into the dash and use that. then it's upgradeable. my phone already has better voice recognition than ANY car, already has a data plan, already does e-mail, text, internet, maps, nav, apps, etc. why do i want to buy that all over again?
What phone do you have? The voice recognition on my iPhone 4 can't hold a candle to Microsoft Sync.
Old 01-07-11, 03:52 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

ipad is already outdated as well... there is no way to make car tech future proof.
Old 01-07-11, 04:54 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
ipad is already outdated as well... there is no way to make car tech future proof.
True but car manufacturers can do better. There is no reason why they couldn't push out new functionality via software updates. Ford does this. BMW and Mercedes have been doing it for a while (though not at the level they should).

Lexus though hasn't made any effort on this in the past. The tech is static. If they moved to a model of 2-3 software updates a year, and phasing in new features, that would be great, and would also give people more reason to go to dealer for service.
Old 01-08-11, 04:56 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by batman75
What phone do you have? The voice recognition on my iPhone 4 can't hold a candle to Microsoft Sync.
droid x (you can even write text msgs with voice ). even my blackberry storm has very good voice rec. on the bing app at least.

that's not the point - if the car uses an external device, then as that device gets outdated you can replace it easily with something better. today these in car systems are expensive and can't easily be removed/replaced.
Old 01-08-11, 04:58 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by batman75
True but car manufacturers can do better. There is no reason why they couldn't push out new functionality via software updates. Ford does this. BMW and Mercedes have been doing it for a while (though not at the level they should).
but eventually (quickly) that hardware is obsolete. that's why i think it's unlikely i'll get an oem nav in my next car despite having had it in my last (lex) and current (ford) vehicle.

Lexus though hasn't made any effort on this in the past. The tech is static. If they moved to a model of 2-3 software updates a year, and phasing in new features, that would be great, and would also give people more reason to go to dealer for service.
problem is lexus has a varity of hardware in diff. cars with no doubt v. different software on each. enhancing all those versions is a major pain and expense.
Old 01-08-11, 04:52 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

droid x (you can even write text msgs with voice ). even my blackberry storm has very good voice rec. on the bing app at least.

that's not the point - if the car uses an external device, then as that device gets outdated you can replace it easily with something better. today these in car systems are expensive and can't easily be removed/replaced.
i dont see how that will work... every car would have to have same space of the device, and it would not look natural or fit well.

Entune is built by Microsoft, just like Ford Sync... it will have over the air firmware updates.
Old 01-09-11, 12:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Entune is built by Microsoft, just like Ford Sync... it will have over the air firmware updates.
hopefully we won't see this:

or this...

Old 01-09-11, 12:16 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

What if I am not interested in owning an iPhone or iPad?
Old 01-09-11, 12:46 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I hope you know that the Entune software is upgradeable wirelessly via a smartphone. Toyota specifically mentioned this that Entune software would never get outdated.
Old 01-09-11, 03:51 PM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I can attest to the casual voice recognition working quite well in the current RX 450h. I actually use it quite frequently and find it quite accurate, unless of course there are people yacking away in the car with me.

Quick Reply: CES: Toyota announced Entune - internet connected infotainment system