Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

CES: Toyota announced Entune - internet connected infotainment system

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-11, 06:55 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Holy ****. If this is real and its from Lexus, my respect level just went up a few notches. If they are the first OEM to have an Apple smart UI, that will be huge!
Old 02-10-11, 07:08 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GS69
In the dash is probably safer than people driving while trying to look at their mobile phones for their friend's current status ... ?
Jumping off the 3rd floor of a house is probably safer than jumping off the empire state building, but both are stupid and completely pointless.

Can people seriously not wait until they get home to see what kind of breakfast somebody else ate today, or whether or not their foot fungus has started to subside?
Old 02-10-11, 07:25 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,429 Likes on 1,592 Posts

looks like someone stuffed an ipad in the dash.
social networking while driving is just a disaster though. notification of updates is another thing which could be read while stopped in PARK.
Old 02-10-11, 07:27 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
Can people seriously not wait until they get home to see what kind of breakfast somebody else ate today, or whether or not their foot fungus has started to subside?
i think you entirely misunderstand the scope of social networking. MUCH business info is exchanged via facebook/twitter/etc. now.
Old 02-10-11, 07:37 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i think you entirely misunderstand the scope of social networking. MUCH business info is exchanged via facebook/twitter/etc. now.
Perhaps between business and consumers, but I really don't see it in a business to business sense.

Even so, nothing on there - even if it is business related - warrants poking around on it while driving. And if you're not supposed to poke around it while driving, and just check it while parked, then what's the point of having it in the car and paying for more data plans at all when you can just as easily check your phone.

Obviously, the feature is there because Lexus knows the north american market is gaga for this stuff right now. They know people are going to buy it with the intention of never having to sever their link to the social networking teet while driving to work. They can't get a ticket for operating a mobile phone while driving if they are simply "operating the car" even though it amounts to the very same danger.

Soon enough, those laws will have to be expanded. Lexus is likely to include lockouts for these features while the car is out of park but as I've seen with the 3GS and the Nav locks - it so far has been very easily defeated.

Anyway, I'd like a car with a computer myself - not a computer with wheels. And that's coming from a software developer. The automakers are starting to focus way too much on the gadgets.

The worst part is going to be the rapid obsoletion of these components. While the remainder of the car will still be relatively new and comparatively recent technology wise 5 years from now this component is going to age the entire car. It's already bad enough with nav systems, but consider this.

One day facebook may fall, being that people are fickle with these things. Then, you've got this big facebook icon that simply crashes when you launch it on your car forever. Apply this to any of these services that are hot right now but may not remain so. Suddenly you're hooked into things that are either done for, or not used any more due to the fashion having moved elsewhere and since it's a closed platform you are out of luck. You are now driving a car that you have to stare at the equivalent of a link to ICQ or something. :P

Lexus has not shown much of a willingness for software updates to existing nav systems, the only thing they provide (at complete ripoff pricing) is generally map data updates. You'd think people with GEN4 system paying for updates might get a break and get updated to the new GEN5 interface - especially models that share the same display hardware - but this has not been the case.

Last edited by BinaryJay; 02-10-11 at 07:45 AM.
Old 02-10-11, 07:48 AM
LexFather

Wow is that the real thing or some galaxy or something modded? Why would it have a battery life icon?. This seems to be another huge leap like remote touch if its true!

The CT NAV is a pop up and they replaced A LOT of controls though, must be in the touchscreen?

Last edited by LexFather; 02-10-11 at 07:54 AM.

Old 02-10-11, 08:25 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Wow is that the real thing or some galaxy or something modded? Why would it have a battery life icon?. This seems to be another huge leap like remote touch if its true!
The controls replaced are the audio ones so I'm assuming this takes over all audio functions.

It can't be a galaxy or any android tablet because it is running Apple apps, and Apple doesn't make apps for android or windows mobile. I was wondering if it was an iPad passthrough, but the apps look different. I haven't seen that UI implementation on iTunes anywhere else. That suggests this is either a fake model, or it is a genuinely new product from Apple.

It also seems odd that Apple would preview a new product without a press conference.

Don't know what to think here. I'm excited, but think I will be disappointed when the truth comes out!
Old 02-10-11, 08:34 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

if this is true... one day...
Old 02-14-11, 12:36 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks like a custom job by Five Axis ... although I could be wrong.

I don't see the point of a dash-mounted tablet, with an interface mimicing Apple products.
Old 02-14-11, 05:50 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
Even so, nothing on there - even if it is business related - warrants poking around on it while driving.
agreed.

And if you're not supposed to poke around it while driving, and just check it while parked, then what's the point of having it in the car and paying for more data plans at all when you can just as easily check your phone.
i agree! i've been saying this for a while, phones are already doing everything these systems are so what's the point in duplicating them? even storing audio is pretty pointless since you can have a vast music collection in a phone and stream it to a car audio system.

Obviously, the feature is there because Lexus knows the north american market is gaga for this stuff right now.
i personally doubt lexus had ANYTHING to do with this one.

The worst part is going to be the rapid obsoletion of these components. While the remainder of the car will still be relatively new and comparatively recent technology wise 5 years from now this component is going to age the entire car.
i agree 100% and have been saying this repeatedly.

It's already bad enough with nav systems, but consider this.

One day facebook may fall, being that people are fickle with these things. Then, you've got this big facebook icon that simply crashes when you launch it on your car forever.
well that's not an issue if it's just an app you uninstall. if someone is dumb enough to hard code facebook into a car's menu then yes, that's very risky. imagine if someone had done that with myspace 5 years ago.

Lexus has not shown much of a willingness for software updates to existing nav systems, the only thing they provide (at complete ripoff pricing) is generally map data updates. You'd think people with GEN4 system paying for updates might get a break and get updated to the new GEN5 interface - especially models that share the same display hardware - but this has not been the case.
map upgrades is a big source of revenue for the map data producers, that's why it's expensive. as for getting upgrades, e.g., gen4 to gen5, i think it's different hardware, and cars just haven't been made to be upgraded like that (complex wiring, controls, etc.). cars need standards! or don't bother at all.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Wow is that the real thing or some galaxy or something modded?
i think it's just an ipad with a custom app/launcher.

REALLY liking that CT interior. way to go Lexus!!!!
Old 02-18-11, 03:59 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Confirmed - that Five Axis CT infotainment system is CUSTOM. It is NOT official product at all from Lexus, simply a custom job from Five Axis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipK7Cn8IZJU
Old 04-27-11, 06:47 PM
LexFather

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/04/27/v...-2012-prius-v/

Toyota will be launching its new Entune infotainment system later this year – a product that pairs with a customer's Internet- and Bluetooth-equipped smartphone to bring a host of applications right into the car's navigation screen. Entune is the Japanese automaker's answer to Ford's SYNC system, and we recently had the chance to get a first-hand look at Toyota's latest creation inside of the upcoming 2012 Prius V.

Entune made its official debut at CES back in January, combining functional apps like Bing search and real-time XM information (traffic, weather, fuel prices, sports and stocks) with entertainment features like Pandora and iHeartRadio. What's more, Entune adds restaurant booking capability via OpenTable and allows you to research movie times through MovieTickets.com. Of course, there's a slate of safety features like collision notification and roadside assistance, similar to those found in Lexus' Enform system.

We sat down inside the 2012 Prius V with Toyota's corporate manager for advanced technology, Jim Pisz, to see exactly how Entune works. Pisz tells us that the Prius V will be the first Toyota vehicle to feature Entune, but that we will likely see it spread to higher-volume models like the Camry and Tacoma by the end of the year.

In all, Entune looks to be a pretty slick system. The touch-screen display is easy to navigate, though it isn't as visually appealing as the Blue Oval's MyFord Touch. See a full walk-through of Entune for yourself in the video after the jump. As an added bonus, click here to see an Entune hands-on from our friends at Engadget, as well.

Editor's Note: Because Entune pairs to a smartphone, if there's a lengthy loss of signal at any time, that will cause Entune to become temporarily unresponsive. This happened during our preview outside of New York's Plaza Hotel, and thus, the video begins after Pisz restarted the system.

Old 04-28-11, 04:04 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Notice Camry and Tacoma by the end of the year comment :-)
Old 04-28-11, 12:06 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

^sounds like we have confermation the new camry is set to debut this year
Old 04-28-11, 10:33 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Makes sense, we already knew 2012 Camry was going to get the system, as well as other Toyota models. Tacoma is supposed to be redesigned as well.

That means that either one or both then are debuting at the LA auto show. I can't possibly see Toyota debuting the new Camry anywhere else.

Quick Reply: CES: Toyota announced Entune - internet connected infotainment system