Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ohio police use Tazer seven times on driver in diabetic shock, dislocate his s

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-11, 07:12 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Habious
Couple in labor, racing to the hospital, cited for speeding

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/...et.wmur?hpt=T2

I wouldn't care if all cops had the attitude of "The law is the law and that's it". But they don't. Their attitude is "The law is there for me to enforce, not to obey".

As far as I know, there is not ONE cop...anywhere...that actually comes to a complete stop at stop signs, or before turning right-on-red. But they're HAPPY to cite you for that, every single time they see you do it, and twice on Sundays.

I cannot count the number of times I've seen a cop drive up the shoulder to get past a long line of traffic.

And I personally (not my cousin's friend once told me a guy he knew...) saw a cop roll through FIVE red lights. Was late at night...I was stopped at the first light. He slowed down at the first light, turned his blinky lights on...rolled through the red light...turned his blinky lights off. Sped up to the next light, slowed down, turned his blinky lights on...rolled through the red light...turned his blinky lights off. He did that 3 more times, through all FIVE lights.

He just didn't feel like waiting at the lights. Guess what? Neither did I!!! But, I didn't have a choice!
Just film them and use it against them. You probably land up in prison, seeing the law dislikes ordinary people screwing things up for them and the government tries to figure out why people can't stand the police or the government It is the blatant disrespect of the law.
Old 01-05-11, 07:34 AM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

a little off topic, but everyone should watch this series on youtube - the largest street gang in america. hint: its the police.

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...n+america&aq=f
Old 01-05-11, 08:00 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Habious
And I personally (not my cousin's friend once told me a guy he knew...) saw a cop roll through FIVE red lights. Was late at night...I was stopped at the first light. He slowed down at the first light, turned his blinky lights on...rolled through the red light...turned his blinky lights off. Sped up to the next light, slowed down, turned his blinky lights on...rolled through the red light...turned his blinky lights off. He did that 3 more times, through all FIVE lights.

He just didn't feel like waiting at the lights. Guess what? Neither did I!!! But, I didn't have a choice!
He could have been responding to a non-emergency call and sounds like the cop was doing his job in the safest way possible.

Originally Posted by gray_es300
Just recently when snow hit our area bad, i had sawan old couple in a toyota camry stuck so i parked my car in parking lot and helped get them unstuck. It took about 20 minutes to even move the car and this whole time a cop was just looking at us, as if some sort of magic trick offering no help or assistance. I was fine with that i guess, maybe he wasn't allowed to help. It wasn't until i was walking back to my car after the old couple had gotten unstuck did the cop follow me in his police cruiser. As he saw me unlock my car, he pulled up next to me and asks for my license and i ask him why? He then responds with a "Because i said so" I ended up waiting for 2o more minutes After 20 minutes he hands it back and i ay is their a problem and he says "well you are making it seem like it will be." He then threatens to give me a ticket for my tinted windows and H.I.D. lights. This is when i asked for his badge number and or name to report a complaint with my father who is friends with the main guy in the department. Then the guy said "fine" and left. Needless to say i have a bad taste for law inforcement in my mouth. Sorry for the rant
What exactly is your complaint going to be?

Cop runs a license check on you
Lets you know your tint is illegal but doesn't give you 4 tickets (one for each window)?
Lets you know your HIDs are illegal and doesn't give you a ticket
Further lets you know that your attitude and mouth could escalate the situation.
You threaten with "Daddy" and still walks away and doesn't give you a ticket.

Of course there are corrupt cops and yes they reflect poorly on behalf of all officers overall. But would I want to do their job and have to deal with whiny and 'entitled' people each and every day. Not in the least.

Rendell viewed the NFL's decision as a referendum on the toughness, or lack thereof, of the United States.

"My biggest beef is that this is part of what's happened in this country," Rendell said.

"We've become a nation of wusses."
Old 01-05-11, 08:12 AM
5gears-IS
Great Deal Guru

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Diabetes

I am diabetic and although I never been near a diabetic coma condition which is what happens when you are too low it is a known fact that you loose total control of your body and mind! By the way this condition is very unpredictable for us diabetics and in most cases their is little you can do at the time this takes place. Fact is most diabetics that get that far have a 75% chance not to make it back from the coma!!

I think the cop should at least given him the benefit of doubt and asked if he was ok or had a health issue.....no one just goes over a wrong lane just because!!! I am sure the driver was not able to cooperate under the condition.

This from a diabetic.
Old 01-05-11, 09:03 AM
Corey140
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Stormwind
As always there are 2 sides to the story.

1. As a diabetic it's his responsibility to keep his bood sugar high enough before he drives. It doesn't give him the right to veer into oncoming lane to endanger other people.

2. Being diabetic and driving dangerously is two seperate thing.

3. He should have follow orders do what the cop asked him and rolled down the windows and get out.

4. He should't have resisted when his *** finally gets drag out of the car.

5. Being diabetic doesn't give him the right to do 1-4

PS If you watched the video the guy sounds like he is a drug up crazed loonie.

When you are diabetic, your sugar can drop unknowingly at times. It can just come of out of the blue.

When you are in diabetic shock, you are unaware of your surroundings. You are a walking/driving zombie pretty much.

I wonder, if this gentleman had a diabetic medical bracelet on his arm.

Did you read after even learning that he was sick, they still charged him with resisting arrest? Better yet, they beat the damn man so much that the state trooper had to jump into to protect him. What ****ing police arrest tactic is that?

The cop was an idiot and if it weren't for the state trooper, this would probably have been swept under the table.

Last edited by Corey140; 01-05-11 at 09:12 AM.
Old 01-05-11, 09:18 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Corey140

When you are diabetic, your sugar can drop unknowingly at times. It can just come of out of the blue.

When you are in diabetic shock, you are unaware of your surroundings. You are a walking/driving zombie pretty much.
Not exactly great characteristics for operating a 4,000 pound piece of machinery at highways speeds.

A separate issue: should diabetics (or anyone subject to losing control over their body movments) be driving at all?
Old 01-05-11, 10:27 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i think the main thing here is whether cops used excessive and unnecessary force / violence against an obviously sick person (i will leave that one open). i don't think anyone is saying that the person didn't do anything wrong. he did commit some type of dangerous driving, willingly or not, no excuse on that.

similarly, imagine someone driving and suddenly get a heart attack and he veered into different lanes, almost pass out, and get pulled over. yes, he did something wrong, but if the cop proceed to beat him up and claim "resisting arrest" when the man is pretty much in cardiac arrest, that's right thing to do too?
Old 01-05-11, 02:03 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Originally Posted by rominl
similarly, imagine someone driving and suddenly get a heart attack and he veered into different lanes, almost pass out, and get pulled over. yes, he did something wrong, but if the cop proceed to beat him up and claim "resisting arrest" when the man is pretty much in cardiac arrest, that's right thing to do too?
If the man in cardiac arrest gets out fighting screaming like a drugged up loonie then yes, a beat down would be necessary in order to put him in cuffs. I mean what are the cops suppose to do, let him go and keep driving dangerously, wait for him to pull out a weapon then do something about it?

A normal person will simply tell the cop that he is in trouble and the cops will help him/rush him to hospital with the sirens blazing.

IMO anybody that tries to fight the cop (when they are simply doing their jobs) tooth and nails deserves a beat down.
Old 01-05-11, 02:22 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 431 Likes on 355 Posts

I really don't know what to say about this article. I see a lot of cops doing shady things, but I've met some that were really good guys. It can go either I guess, but I'd say there are more bad ones than good ones.
Old 01-05-11, 03:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

If the man in cardiac arrest gets out fighting screaming like a drugged up loonie then yes, a beat down would be necessary in order to put him in cuffs. I mean what are the cops suppose to do, let him go and keep driving dangerously, wait for him to pull out a weapon then do something about it?

A normal person will simply tell the cop that he is in trouble and the cops will help him/rush him to hospital with the sirens blazing.

IMO anybody that tries to fight the cop (when they are simply doing their jobs) tooth and nails deserves a beat down.
you really think people in diabetic shock and cardiac arrest will go violent and fight? you surely don't know how it is like. "a normal person"... if that's the case, then this story wouldn't even start.
Old 01-05-11, 05:49 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Originally Posted by rominl
you really think people in diabetic shock and cardiac arrest will go violent and fight? you surely don't know how it is like. "a normal person"... if that's the case, then this story wouldn't even start.
Ofcourse not. That's why I know the guy in the OP story is faking it and trying to use diabetic excuse to get out of prison, which he is probably going to end up.
Old 01-05-11, 07:58 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
He could have been responding to a non-emergency call and sounds like the cop was doing his job in the safest way possible.

What exactly is your complaint going to be?

Cop runs a license check on you
Lets you know your tint is illegal but doesn't give you 4 tickets (one for each window)?
Lets you know your HIDs are illegal and doesn't give you a ticket
Further lets you know that your attitude and mouth could escalate the situation.
You threaten with "Daddy" and still walks away and doesn't give you a ticket.

Of course there are corrupt cops and yes they reflect poorly on behalf of all officers overall. But would I want to do their job and have to deal with whiny and 'entitled' people each and every day. Not in the least.
First of all, the tinted windows and hid lights were standard on the rx350, secondly i didn't threaten him by using my dad, I did not go up to him with my noise up in the air saying "I'm telling my daddy on you" i simply asked for his badge number and name, is that a threat? no but he took it as one because he knew he was doing something wrong. Its called blatant disrespect, i can't ask a cop a simple question and if the cop really knew he wasn't doing anything wrong, he wouldn't have backed of so quickly. To your point there are corrupt cops, and good cops, but i think its more of a coincidence a majority of the experiences ive had with police officers have been unpleasant.
Old 01-05-11, 08:04 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

We get oohpapi44 you have a bias towards police officers, or may even be one, but at the same time you do have to also understand that some cops are *******s who do things because they can get away with it. It is human nature that if given power, it will be abused. Cops know they are going to deal with a lot of ****, whether it be people complaining about something minor, or being shot at...ITS PART OF THE JOB, and is to be expected. It shouldn't be a reason to be jerkoffs toward people who haven't done anything wrong.
Old 01-06-11, 10:44 AM
Corey140
Intermediate

Ofcourse not. That's why I know the guy in the OP story is faking it and trying to use diabetic excuse to get out of prison, which he is probably going to end up.
Faking?

You can't be this stupid...

The article clearly said, they found his diabetic kit in the car and the paramedics were called and he was found to have low sugar and hospitalized for it.

The charges were dropped against him because they had no basis in the first place...
Old 01-06-11, 07:16 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Originally Posted by Corey140
Faking?

You can't be this stupid...
The article clearly said, they found his diabetic kit in the car and the paramedics were called and he was found to have low sugar and hospitalized for it.

The charges were dropped against him because they had no basis in the first place...
I am gonna ignore your pathetic flame baiting and laugh at your lack of logic and thinking.

Yeah....the first thing cops do is check the guys car for a diabetic kit when he refused to follow orders and come out fighting and screaming like a druged up crazed loonie.

Simple logic which you seems to not able to follow is AFTER the cops had him in cuffs and AFTER he poses no danger (meaning the loonie is in cuffs in the back of the squad car) to them they found whatever kit in the car when they searched it.

THEN cops called the paramedics to come help the loonie out, after they realized the loonie could be diabetic. Looks like the cops are doing their jobs don't you think.

PS. Yes when I am in a diabetic shock and coma with a cardiac arrest I am able to come out screaming and fighting off multiple cops. Because I defy logic and gravity. But I never got charged with anything because I roll with a kit in my car.

Last edited by Stormwind; 01-06-11 at 07:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Ohio police use Tazer seven times on driver in diabetic shock, dislocate his s