Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MSN: Worst new-for-2011 vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-11, 02:11 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

saw the new QX on the road yesterday.

I wanted to throw myself in front of it to save my eyes from the misery of looking at it.
Old 01-19-11, 02:39 PM
TonyG5003
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys/Gals... The LX570 isn't exactly eye-candy either. As a previous LX owner, and 2 time Landcruiser owner, I just can't get past the back-end. From behind, the tires look too small for the frame.

I'm currently driving a QX, and will be trading on either a new QX (I personally like the styling), the LX, GX or X5. I'm concerned about dependability on the X5. I don't particularly care for the interior styling on the GX. And, as a previous LX470 owner, I'm not fond of some of the fit/finish on the new LX570 - they got rid of the armrest, and the center console which replaces the armrest seems cheap. Also, the seats seem too firm compared to what they were. And, the visibility has been greatly reduced - the dash sits too high and the windows are shorter. And while it is more quiet than ever, it's perhaps a bit TOO quiet for me... I like at least some feedback from the road.

Climbing into the new QX seems like the LX used to be - and it just seems more plush. Granted, there are other features the LX has which the QX never will, but I'm not sure they justify another 15K. I will say, that I much prefer the service experience with Lexus.

So... I'm just torn. I've been debating this for months.
Old 01-19-11, 04:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The author of this article (I know it isn't Mike; he just posted it) may be entitled to his opinion as to best/worst vehicles, but I think he writes in a rather simplistic manner, and, IMO, uses too many stereotypes. A good example is the way he pans the Avalon as a "Geezer" car for Buick owners, when, in fact, that is not quite the case in real life. I know a number of non-senior citizens who own and drive Avalons.....and Buicks, for that matter. And the Nissan Juke..........yes, it's ugly on the surface (especially the front-end styling), but it is solidly-built, uses good materials for a car of its class, has decent road manners, an AWD option, and has spunk with the turbo-four (though requiring premium gas). The Juke was the last vehicle I reviewed before I went to surgery last month.

He's right, though, about the Ford Fiesta being cramped inside, especially in the rear seat and cargo area (I looked at two Fiestas myself). But, of course, to be fair, one does not shop for a Fiesta with the expectation of it being a Chevy Suburban inside. And, of course, that small body, light weight, and efficient (though not smooth) drivetrain helps it achieve some 40 MPG without the use of a diesel or hybrid....something else to think about.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-19-11 at 04:53 PM.
Old 01-19-11, 08:33 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,465 Likes on 1,617 Posts

i enjoyed reading the article very much. it was definitely entertaining and overall dead on!
avalon is now officially fugly
volt is overpriced and full of b.s.
the juke (puke) is beyond hideous
QX looks like a walrus mated with a transformer
cr-z is bad in all respects.
etc.
Old 01-20-11, 05:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i enjoyed reading the article very much. it was definitely entertaining and overall dead on!
avalon is now officially fugly
volt is overpriced and full of b.s.
the juke (puke) is beyond hideous
QX looks like a walrus mated with a transformer
cr-z is bad in all respects.
etc.
Have you examined and test-driven a Juke, Paul? Like the Acura TL, once you get beneath the questionable (yes, some may say fugly) surface styling, it is a well-built, decent-driving, competent vehicle. The Juke's only real turn-off, as I see it, is the turbo requiring premium gas.

Yes, the Volt is expensive, but there is a lot of expensive technology and components in it, and tax-credits offset some of that cost to the buyer. While Toyota has not, to my knowledge, announced pricing of the extended-range Prius (which will compete directly with the Volt), don't be surprised if the new Prius runs in the same general price-range as the Volt.....it will have much of the same technology.

The CR-Z is a well-built car inside and out, like most Hondas, with a great deal of precision in its assembly, but its IMA powertrain, like that of other small IMA Hondas, needs more smoothness/refinement.....particularly with the CVT transmission.
Old 01-20-11, 05:35 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Why would anyone expect a supermini-sized Fiesta to carry 4 adults? No one buys a Fiesta if they are looking to carry 4 adults and you never see 4 adults in one. They are for singles, couples, or as a small second car for carrying the kids in.
The Juke is currently selling like hotcakes and you can't order a CVT one at the moment as production has run out. Orders are running at something like 3x what was anticipated. My wife and I looked at one in our local Nissan showroom as she fancies one and I had good poke around. I love the front end styling and can live the rest so I'm just trying to tap up my contacts at Nissan to get a factory discount and we could be ordering one (assuming they get some more CVT transmissions in from the suppliers).
Old 01-20-11, 06:34 AM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the Fiesta THAT small? I can easily cram 5-8 people in my Yaris (sorry, not going to to bay 200% sales tax for an imported Lexus in this country), and yes, I know, it's really ghetto to do that. . . but what can you do at 3AM when leaving the clubs?

But for most normal trips, I easily take 4-5 people, and I have a. . . "large" family. I'm well over 200lbs and 5'11". So is a Fiesta THAT much smaller than a Yaris? I know in the USA, people have gotten used to bigger cars. But ever since I moved out of there, a Camry now since gigantic. . . and a Corolla seems about normal. Heck, today's Yaris' are the size of yesterday's Corollas. Today's Corollas are the size of yesterday's Camrys. And today's Camrys are the size of yesterday's LS400s. In fact, I saw 1995 Celsior today, and it actually looked kinda small compared to the Camry it was parked next to. I know I'm fat, but are people now on average all pushing 400+lbs since the two years I've been out of the country???!!!!
Old 01-21-11, 07:02 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,465 Likes on 1,617 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Have you examined and test-driven a Juke, Paul? Like the Acura TL, once you get beneath the questionable (yes, some may say fugly) surface styling, it is a well-built, decent-driving, competent vehicle. The Juke's only real turn-off, as I see it, is the turbo requiring premium gas.
no i've not driven a juke, and i'll definitely take your word for it about the positives. but for me, if i walked out of a store and had to see that THAT's what i drive, i, well, just couldn't do it. what i drive has to be somewhat aesthetically pleasing outside and inside. my explorer's not an aston martin, but it doesn't look like a mutant frog.

Yes, the Volt is expensive, but there is a lot of expensive technology and components in it, and tax-credits offset some of that cost to the buyer.
more power (ha!) to 'em (whoever buys one). if gm wants it to be successful, they need to subsidize it, as toyota did initially with prius.

The CR-Z is a well-built car inside and out, like most Hondas, with a great deal of precision in its assembly, but its IMA powertrain, like that of other small IMA Hondas, needs more smoothness/refinement.....particularly with the CVT transmission.
again, it may be well built, but in itself that doesn't make it appealing to me. it just fails on so many other levels, as the article says.