Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus 3.5 V-6 and 4.6 V-8...what next?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-11, 10:35 AM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

What are the predications as far as the 8sp tranny being implemented into more models on their upcoming releases? Such as the IS and GS especially. My mom has the LS460 and with the 8sp, its amazing how such a large and heavy car can get close to 30mpg highway!
Old 01-06-11, 10:44 AM
Initial B
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope Lexus doesn't look to punching out displacements as the answer like Infiniti has. I prefer small-mid size engine, and even better if they make 'em turbo.
Old 01-06-11, 10:50 AM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I think the 3.5 is powerful enough. It's the 2.5 that needs work. Otherwise, it's going to be all about fuel economy.
I don't understand why they didn't give the 2.5 the D4-S treatment in the first place. It shouldn't cost that much more and it would've made the 2.5 much more competitive with its rivals in terms of power. As it is it's just weak.
Old 01-06-11, 11:01 AM
08IS350
Driver

Originally Posted by replica
I hope Lexus doesn't look to punching out displacements as the answer like Infiniti has. I prefer small-mid size engine, and even better if they make 'em turbo.
Agree. I like 3.5 V6, 2GR-FSE and hope they tweak it to produce more power while maintaining good FE. It is a very good engine and 320hp is easy to achieve without increasing displacement. Make 7000rpm redline and better / more responsive 6 speed transmission.
Old 01-06-11, 11:31 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,465 Likes on 1,617 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
While both are either near tops in MPG and still comparable in HP the competition hasn't stayed still in regards to power.

BMW/Benz/Audi have moved to forced induction. Some other brands have bigger displacement V-6/V-8s for more power.
as an aside, just got back from europe and friend has a 2006 (i think) BMW 520d. thing is amazing. powerful, 6 speed stick, and gets 48mpg on UK diesel gallons. you'd never know it's a diesel inside the car.

i see this as a great product in these times...
Old 01-06-11, 11:44 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
as an aside, just got back from europe and friend has a 2006 (i think) BMW 520d. thing is amazing. powerful, 6 speed stick, and gets 48mpg on UK diesel gallons. you'd never know it's a diesel inside the car.

i see this as a great product in these times...
yeah, diesel has come a long way. i like the bmw diesel, you really can't tell inside the car. mb diesel is a bit louder though imho

Originally Posted by bigbwb
What are the predications as far as the 8sp tranny being implemented into more models on their upcoming releases? Such as the IS and GS especially. My mom has the LS460 and with the 8sp, its amazing how such a large and heavy car can get close to 30mpg highway!
8 speed is nice, but i am not sure how it will do on the v6 powerplant. it would suck if it ends up hunting for gears all the time
Old 01-06-11, 12:00 PM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl

8 speed is nice, but i am not sure how it will do on the v6 powerplant. it would suck if it ends up hunting for gears all the time
BMW, MB, and VW are using 7/8 sp auto's with their 6 cylinders The reviews seem to be positive in terms of shifting etc.
Old 01-06-11, 12:18 PM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bigbwb
BMW, MB, and VW are using 7/8 sp auto's with their 6 cylinders The reviews seem to be positive in terms of shifting etc.
Heck even the X3 2.0d (4-banger diesel) gets an 8-speed auto. I think all Lexus models can benefit from the 8-speed auto too.
Old 01-06-11, 12:45 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

^^^ Dual Clutch would be interesting. Not entirely sure if there are reliability problems with them in regards to the brands that offer them.

Though didn't Toyota actually offer one or a SMT or something with the MR-2 Spyder?
The SMT in the MR-S is a single clutch auto manual tranny

I think Lexus next step will probably as simple and as boring as just using the IS-F's 5.0L DI V8 with 420 hp as the standard V8 in the LS and GS. As Hyundai is introducing their version of 5.0L DI V8 with 420 hp shortly. Infiniti have the 5.6L DI V8 with 420 hp in their M56 already. 750i have 400 hp and new CL550 4.6L Twin Turbo V8 have 429 hp. So seems like 400-430 hp is the next standard for V8 luxury car.

And they'll probably increase the displacement in the V6 slightly, 3.6-3.8L? For 330-350 hp? Just like in the current Infiniti.

The report is saying the GS-F is coming with a 465 hp 5.0L V8, so they just crank up the power a bit from the current 5.0L.

I don't foresee anything too exciting coming if you ask me. It is very predictable and all been done already.
Old 01-06-11, 12:57 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks I had heard some issues but wasn't sure entirely. I think for the LFA the dual clutch wasn't as interactive as he wanted but maybe for a luxury car the smoothness would be appropriate?

Henry the M3 is a dual clutch right?
Yes the DCT in the M3 is a dual clutch.

The dual clutch is good since it increases speed and efficiency at the same time, but it would never be as smooth as a torque converter, since smoothness is Lexus's #1 priority and it is what I enjoy the most from my Lexus, I am sure they won't use the dual clutch in their main line up. They could use it in the F line up though, but then the 8-speed in the ISF already shift as fast as a dual clutch, so it might not be needed. Or Lexus can follow MB and replace the torque converter with a clutch in the auto tranny.
Old 01-06-11, 01:01 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

I am sure just a matter of times before most cars have a 8-speed. Just like how even all Camry and RAV4 have a 6-speed auto now. I say 5 years from now, all Lexus and even Camry would have a 8-speeds auto.

I just read the latest Audi A4 comes with a 8-speed auto with the 2.0L turbo 4.

Shifting all the time is fine as long as the tranny is smooth, like in the LS460, it is not annoying at all since you can hardly feel it.
Old 01-06-11, 01:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

oops, sorry mike missed you post. but yes, dct is true dual clutch. i think dct is still a bit faster than auto in isf? dunno, imho that matters if you go for that final 0.2 sec.
Old 01-06-11, 01:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by BNR34
I am sure just a matter of times before most cars have a 8-speed. Just like how even all Camry and RAV4 have a 6-speed auto now. I say 5 years from now, all Lexus and even Camry would have a 8-speeds auto.

I just read the latest Audi A4 comes with a 8-speed auto with the 2.0L turbo 4.

Shifting all the time is fine as long as the tranny is smooth, like in the LS460, it is not annoying at all since you can hardly feel it.
umm, in the ls460l i did feel the frequent shifting, actually. especially when i am demanding a gear quick when i am cruising on the highway
Old 01-06-11, 02:57 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

oops, sorry mike missed you post. but yes, dct is true dual clutch. i think dct is still a bit faster than auto in isf? dunno, imho that matters if you go for that final 0.2 sec.
The ISF tranny is one of the fastest shifting torque converter box, but yeah I am sure it is still a bit slower then a dual clutch.

Dual clutch tranny is currently the fastest shifting tranny, but Lambo is claiming their new ISR single clutch tranny will be 50% faster then a dual clutch.
Old 01-06-11, 03:02 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

umm, in the ls460l i did feel the frequent shifting, actually. especially when i am demanding a gear quick when i am cruising on the highway
Yeah you do feel it, I was just saying it is not that annoying.

I do agreed it is hard to get into the right gear quickly when you want it to.

I really appreciate having many gears though after I drove a Tesla Roadster sport, the lack of gear really blows. I used to think it is cool to not have any gear so you don't lose any time shifting, until I realized the lack of different gear ratio really slow down the rate of acceleration!

Quick Reply: Lexus 3.5 V-6 and 4.6 V-8...what next?