Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus 3.5 V-6 and 4.6 V-8...what next?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-11, 04:23 PM
LexusMan77
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How realistic is it that Lexus would introduce a 9 speed automatic(to one up the competition just like back in 2007) to pair with a larger displacement V8? In theory, it would improve fuel economy.
Old 01-06-11, 04:48 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Lexus could introduce a new tranny, who knows. The thing is, as you add more gears to a tranny, you get diminishing returns in terms of performance and fuel economy. Transmission cost and complexity also increases. Having more than 8 or 9 gears doesn't make a whole lot of sense I think.

Mercedes is reportedly set to introduce a 9-speed tranny with the next-gen S-Class. We'll see what Lexus does.
Old 01-06-11, 05:10 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Lexus could introduce a new tranny, who knows. The thing is, as you add more gears to a tranny, you get diminishing returns in terms of performance and fuel economy. Transmission cost and complexity also increases. Having more than 8 or 9 gears doesn't make a whole lot of sense I think.

Mercedes is reportedly set to introduce a 9-speed tranny with the next-gen S-Class. We'll see what Lexus does.
Transmission cost and complexity increases, yes. But how is it diminishing returns in terms of performance and fuel economy? On theory, more gear ratio is better so the engine is always working in the best ratio, as long as it is automatically shifted and shifting time is very low. That's why a stick shift tranny stopped at 6-speed since a human can't handle that much shifting. But if it is done automatically, more ratio is better. Until it get too annoying I think. The current 8-speed is still not annoying yet, but it does feels like it is shifting all the time. MB think 9 speed is the max for something, I would guess is the max human would tolerate, it will be fun to see how it goes.
Old 01-06-11, 05:17 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BNR34
Transmission cost and complexity increases, yes. But how is it diminishing returns in terms of performance and fuel economy? On theory, more gear ratio is better so the engine is always working in the best ratio, as long as it is automatically shifted and shifting time is very low. That's why a stick shift tranny stopped at 6-speed since a human can't handle that much shifting. But if it is done automatically, more ratio is better. Until it get too annoying I think. The current 8-speed is still not annoying yet, but it does feels like it is shifting all the time. MB think 9 speed is the max for something, I would guess is the max human would tolerate, it will be fun to see how it goes.
Diminishing returns, in the sense that going from a 4-speed to 6-speed gives you more fuel economy and performance benefit than going from a 6-speed to 8-speed. You still get benefits going from a 6 speed to 8 speed but not as much as going from 4 to 6.

Yes in theory more gears is better but like I said there is a practical limit with gears in terms of cost, complexity, and how much shifting people are willing to tolerate.

Also, modern transmissions do have the ability to skip multiple gears, but that doesn't really change the complexity and cost aspect.
Old 01-06-11, 05:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
Yeah you do feel it, I was just saying it is not that annoying.

I do agreed it is hard to get into the right gear quickly when you want it to.

I really appreciate having many gears though after I drove a Tesla Roadster sport, the lack of gear really blows. I used to think it is cool to not have any gear so you don't lose any time shifting, until I realized the lack of different gear ratio really slow down the rate of acceleration!
no doubt. i have to say i still can't get used to the cvt in gsh, rxh, and lsh
Old 01-07-11, 01:46 AM
crazybuggy
Racer

though im in love with the 3.5 V6 in the iS350, an iS360 sounds way crazier... maybe cuz i have an xbox360.
Old 01-07-11, 01:12 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Diminishing returns, in the sense that going from a 4-speed to 6-speed gives you more fuel economy and performance benefit than going from a 6-speed to 8-speed. You still get benefits going from a 6 speed to 8 speed but not as much as going from 4 to 6.
That I agreed

Yes in theory more gears is better but like I said there is a practical limit with gears in terms of cost, complexity, and how much shifting people are willing to tolerate.

Also, modern transmissions do have the ability to skip multiple gears, but that doesn't really change the complexity and cost aspect.
Well said
Old 01-07-11, 01:15 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
The CVT in the GSH and LSH feels fine to me since they change the ratio in step.

I really don't like the power boating feel from the CVT in the Lancer.
Old 01-07-11, 01:19 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

increasing the displacement will likely hurt gas mileage. if lexus do that then they need more lower end hybrid to help offset the rating to meet with the standard. i don't think lexus will go FI yet, so maybe hybrid is their way out to balance it, while increasing power with higher displacement
Hybrids will inflate the cost of the car, though, far beyond what a base IS350 costs today. I can see it as an option like in the GS - but not as a sole drivetrain.

Originally Posted by dunnojack
engines are fine as it is. Infiniti's 3.7L 330hp figure only looks good on paper, but not in real world testing.

just bring in the dual clutch !

manual mode is a joke.
Yeah, but paper stats are what sells cars. In practice, the 2 are so close that one cannot accurately tell which is faster by butt dyno. Look at how Lexus advertises it's "Class-leading horsepower" (among Lexus, BMW, MB, and Audi) even 5 years after the IS was first sold.

The current manual mode does kind of suck. They could simply make a software change that would shift up when you told it to, just like it currently shifts down when you tell it to.

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Maybe some Dual VVTi-EL plus Valvematic

Btw:
I was hoping for CVTs though. The problem though lies in its torque limit capabilities as it depends on manufacturer. Toyota/Lexus can push it as far as V8 provided its mated to an electric motor (i.e. Lexus LS hybrid), Honda can take it as far as 2.4 liters but only in FWD, Audi can do it even on V6 models BUT no quattro..........and for non-hybrid, I think Nissan/JATCO has the most solid unit capable of 3.5 V6 and AWD in the Murano.

Still, I'm hoping for CVTs hehe
CVTs still have more energy loss than automatics or DCTs. Definitely not fit for the IS or F series of cars.
Old 01-11-11, 01:14 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

9-speed auto is around the corner, it is even a FWD application!

I see a tons of new cars are coming with 8-speed auto now......I am looking forward to feel a 10 speeds. It is like talking about a bicycle.....10 speeds....LOL

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/01/11/z...ion-is-coming/
Old 01-11-11, 01:28 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

then you need to try real cvt and understand what people mean . It feels nothing like GSh or RXh
Old 01-11-11, 01:42 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
then you need to try real cvt and understand what people mean . It feels nothing like GSh or RXh
The GSh and LSh feels fine to me, actually they feel good. CVTs in econobox feels really bad.