Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Officially Official: 2012 Buick Verano is one part Cruze, one part Regal

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-11, 11:44 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Officially Official: 2012 Buick Verano is one part Cruze, one part Regal

*Mods feel free to move. I believe there is a Buick Verano thread floating around somewhere, not sure if it reflects the "officially official" update tho

Officially Official: 2012 Buick Verano is one part Cruze, one part Regal

We're tempted to go ahead and call the 2012 Buick Verano a "baby Regal," because the truth is, the two cars are much more alike than you might think. Since the Verano is based off of the Chevrolet Cruze's Delta II platform (which is relatively large for what General Motors calls a "compact sedan") the new Buick's dimensions are awfully close to that of the larger, Epsilon II-based Regal. What's important to note, however, is that while the Verano is Cruze-based, it uses different materials throughout the interior and it has a totally different look. GM is convinced that there is indeed a market for an entry-level Buick sedan, and the automaker will be showing off its latest creation at the 2011 Detroit Auto Show next week.

2012 Buick VeranoAt 181-inches long, the Verano may be just over nine inches shorter than the Regal, but it's only about two inches narrower and less than half an inch shorter in height. Buick's design language is nicely carried over to the new small sedan, with the front fascia also looking a bit more like the larger LaCrosse sedan. The upward sloping lower character line on the sides are very similar to what we're used to on the Regal, but perhaps the most interesting design cue are the taillamps. We like the angry-looking downward slope to the taillamp design, but even after seeing this car in person at a GM backgrounder, we remain unsure if the chrome eyebrows are a tasteful addition. Stare at an image of the Verano's rump for a few moments, imagine it without the silvery garnishes, and things still look mighty fine to us. The car rides on a set of 17-inch alloy wheels, though larger 18-inch alloys are available on higher-level trims.

Like the Regal, the Verano is only available with front-wheel drive. And also like the Regal, a 2.4-liter four with direct injection lurks underhood, producing 177 horsepower and 170 pound-feet of torque. The Cruze, meanwhile, uses different engines altogether, either a normally aspirated 1.8-liter or a 1.4-liter turbocharged four. Interestingly, despite having only four cylinders, the Ventiports on the hood offer a bit of false advertising, with six holes to suggest that there's a six-cylinder engine underhood. Either way, Buick says the larger four-cylinder is estimated to achieve 22 miles per gallon in the city and 31 mpg on the highway.

Inside, the cockpit is exactly what you'd expect out of a car that is essentially the lovechild of a Cruze and Regal, with Buick-spec materials fit-and-finish carried down into a smaller package. Even so, the Verano's cabin is only about two cubic feet less capacious than the larger Regal, and we already know that the Cruze is still plenty comfortable for four full-size adults. In addition to standard OnStar, the Verano will be available with features like pushbutton start, dual-zone climate control, a heated steering wheel and heated leather seats.

Official pricing will surely be announced closer to the car's on-sale date near the end of 2011. If early reports are to be believed, however, expect the Verano to be priced around $21,000 for base models, going as high as $26,000 for cars with all of the trimmings. We'll have more information live from the Detroit Auto Show next week.

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2012-...erano/#3744630

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/01/06/o...rano-revealed/
Old 01-06-11, 12:38 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

interior looks nice enough.

dunno how i feel about these sedans and their hiked rears.
Old 01-06-11, 01:15 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So it's a Buick Cruze basically; the interior even resembles the Cruze a lot . Looks like GM will never stop with rebadging across different brands.
Old 01-06-11, 05:41 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I think it looks great....in and out....except for the tails....

Old 01-06-11, 05:58 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

I think these cars are what Buick needs. Remember, their former demographic and target market are possibly going into retirement or are in their deathbed!!!!

Hence, it's good that Buick is shifting its focus to younger buyers
Old 01-06-11, 07:03 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Is there enough of a size/engine/feature difference between this and the Regal to justify it?
Old 01-06-11, 07:21 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
I like 'em.

They're distinctive. The design looks different, but it isn't appalling.
Old 01-06-11, 07:33 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Is this a replacement from the long dead Buick Skylark from many years ago? Either way, not my cup of tea.
Old 01-06-11, 08:48 AM
LexFather

I was really hoping Buick go upmarket. They have done a great job revitalizing themselves into an Acura-like niche luxury brand. This is basically a future CSX competitor. Not really a fan to be honest but surely this will help sales.

Old 01-06-11, 09:09 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I have concerns about GM rebadging heavily and providing less than refined/thrashy 4 bangers.
Old 01-06-11, 10:06 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I have concerns about GM rebadging heavily and providing less than refined/thrashy 4 bangers.
I think this particular 4 banger is already in use on the Regal.
Old 01-06-11, 10:25 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jwong77
I think this particular 4 banger is already in use on the Regal.
Yes, and therefore same 4 banger characteristics that I described above. At least in this car (being smaller and lighter) engine will be somewhat less strained than the Regal, I hope.
Old 01-06-11, 10:33 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Another reason why I still struggle calling Buick a luxury/premium brand.

To me it doesnt have good proportions. Short, very tall, and kind of narrow with gigantic headlights and grill, but small tail lights and a very unattractive chrome trim above it.
Old 01-06-11, 11:11 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell

I didn't realize how goofy the tails looked until I saw that picture. The chrome accents look like bushy eyebrows .
Old 01-06-11, 01:08 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,465 Likes on 1,617 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
To me it doesnt have good proportions. Short, very tall, and kind of narrow with gigantic headlights and grill, but small tail lights and a very unattractive chrome trim above it.
yes, reminds me of Lexus HS250h.

nice inside. ugly outside.

Quick Reply: Officially Official: 2012 Buick Verano is one part Cruze, one part Regal