Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

CES 2011: Ford Focus Electric ready to steal the EV spotlight

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-11, 05:26 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,978 Likes on 2,506 Posts

Why does an electric car need a grill at all? How does the heating system in a pure electric work? Does the vehicle have some type of coolant?

The car doesn't look that bad, I've seen much worse.
Old 01-09-11, 08:24 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I'm gonna go against the general consensus and say it looks alright. I really like the overall package. Yes It's different, but then it also looks much better than a lot of other cars rolling off assembly lines from many makes. The only omission I don't like is the lack of fog lights on this car
I dont think it looks bad, generally speaking but would you pay 40k for Focus that costs 15k usually?

This is why Prius was originally made as unique vehicle and not re-badged Corolla, and thats why it is by far the best selling Hybrid in the world.

And hence both Leaf and Volt are unique cars, and not re-badges.
Old 01-09-11, 09:51 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$40K? It won't be anywhere near that. It will probably be in line with the Leaf's pricing but I imagine even less because it's based on an existing car unlike the Leaf.
Old 01-09-11, 10:15 AM
askhao
Driver School Candidate

once again, ford is doing it right.
Old 01-09-11, 05:03 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
$40K? It won't be anywhere near that. It will probably be in line with the Leaf's pricing but I imagine even less because it's based on an existing car unlike the Leaf.
we will see... by the time they release it, cost of batteries might go down.... but once again, ford is not doing it right by basing it on existing car... fusion hybrid is not selling that well despite the good mpg and good reviews.
Old 01-09-11, 06:04 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
we will see... by the time they release it, cost of batteries might go down.... but once again, ford is not doing it right by basing it on existing car... fusion hybrid is not selling that well despite the good mpg and good reviews.
The Fusion hybrid is the second best selling hybrid - second only to Prius. It even outsells the dedicated hybrid Insight. Not sure how that can be considered "not that good".

And comparing a hybrid to a full electric is kind of irrelevant. Also, there's a much more significant difference between the standard Focus and the electric than there is between Fusion and Fusion hybrid. The 2 Focus's will cater to two totally different customers. I guarantee the Focus Electric outsells the Leaf, a dedicated electric that cost Nissan much more to develop over the Focus. Ford's the smart one.
Old 01-09-11, 06:05 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
Funny how everyone thinks this grill is ugly but everyone also thinks Aston Martin's are among the best looking cars with nearly identically shaped grills.
That is the one thing about Aston Martins that I don't like. None are deal breakers though as I don't believe a perfect car exists. Everything out there is a compromise somewhere.
Old 01-09-11, 07:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

I dont think it looks bad, generally speaking but would you pay 40k for Focus that costs 15k usually?
because it doesn't cost 15k usually - the lowest base price for the new focus will be18k and we've no way of knowing if an elec. version will be 40k. but since it will prob. have a lot more std equipment then the delta will be a lot less from its non-elec. version. the 'titanium' focus starts at 23k.

This is why Prius was originally made as unique vehicle and not re-badged Corolla, and thats why it is by far the best selling Hybrid in the world.
you say it sells well because it's a unique vehicle, and that may be true, and may have been necessary when hybrids and electrics are brand new, but i think it's great ford is trying it on a regular model.

as for the prius, it's certainly a big seller, but the packaging options over here are very annoying and the price climbs QUICKLY from 22k to over 30k.

And hence both Leaf and Volt are unique cars, and not re-badges.
and i expect both to sell like the bubonic plague.
Old 01-10-11, 07:31 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
because it doesn't cost 15k usually - the lowest base price for the new focus will be18k and we've no way of knowing if an elec. version will be 40k. but since it will prob. have a lot more std equipment then the delta will be a lot less from its non-elec. version. the 'titanium' focus starts at 23k.

you say it sells well because it's a unique vehicle, and that may be true, and may have been necessary when hybrids and electrics are brand new, but i think it's great ford is trying it on a regular model.

as for the prius, it's certainly a big seller, but the packaging options over here are very annoying and the price climbs QUICKLY from 22k to over 30k.

and i expect both to sell like the bubonic plague.
what ford is doing is taking the cheap route... it wont work. i guess we will have to see.
Old 01-10-11, 09:08 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

what ford is doing is taking the cheap route... it wont work
you mean like the ford fusion hybrid hasn't worked?

and the 'uniqueness' of the prius turns many potential buyers off too (like me) with center guages, funky center console 'bridge', dinky wheels unless you get V package...
Old 01-10-11, 09:22 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah, most people question why hybrids/electrics have to "look like a hybrid/electric".
A majority of people want a normal looking car. Ford is taking this route and should be applauded.
Old 01-10-11, 09:47 AM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

It's too bad the fusion hybrid cost about $30k. Too much, IMO for it. If it were $5k cheaper, it would be selling even better.
Old 01-10-11, 10:26 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MrMut
It's too bad the fusion hybrid cost about $30k. Too much, IMO for it. If it were $5k cheaper, it would be selling even better.
2 engines >$ 1 engine
Old 01-10-11, 11:35 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
you mean like the ford fusion hybrid hasn't worked?

and the 'uniqueness' of the prius turns many potential buyers off too (like me) with center guages, funky center console 'bridge', dinky wheels unless you get V package...
Toyota Prius 2010 USA sales - 140,928
Ford Fusion 2010 USA sales - 20,816

I think generally public by far disagrees with you. Not only that, Toyota, by designing unique vehicle, with large wheelbase but short overhangs and unique materials (like use of aluminum), got them:

a. Car that is sellable worldwide
b. Superior mileage
c. Unique looks that differentiate it from other cars.

Hence, Prius sold almost 500,000 vehicles world wide, while Fusion sold 20k.

Toyota also recently said they sell 2000 Hybrids per day, which is around 700k per year... while Ford sold 35k hybrids in USA and hardly sells any outside. Difference is vast.

Make no mistake, PR is great, but Toyota has the right idea here, everything else is a lot of PR for shareholders.
Old 01-10-11, 11:58 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I'm gonna go against the general consensus and say it looks alright. I really like the overall package. Yes It's different, but then it also looks much better than a lot of other cars rolling off assembly lines from many makes. The only omission I don't like is the lack of fog lights on this car
I second that, I kind of like it. At least it lacks a non-funtional beak.

Quick Reply: CES 2011: Ford Focus Electric ready to steal the EV spotlight