Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

CES 2011: Ford Focus Electric ready to steal the EV spotlight

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-11, 12:29 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 163 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Toyota Prius 2010 USA sales - 140,928
Ford Fusion 2010 USA sales - 20,816

I think generally public by far disagrees with you. Not only that, Toyota, by designing unique vehicle, with large wheelbase but short overhangs and unique materials (like use of aluminum), got them:

a. Car that is sellable worldwide
b. Superior mileage
c. Unique looks that differentiate it from other cars.

Hence, Prius sold almost 500,000 vehicles world wide, while Fusion sold 20k.

Toyota also recently said they sell 2000 Hybrids per day, which is around 700k per year... while Ford sold 35k hybrids in USA and hardly sells any outside. Difference is vast.

Make no mistake, PR is great, but Toyota has the right idea here, everything else is a lot of PR for shareholders.
And to make my position further, here is the trunk of Focus Electric:

http://www.engadget.com/photos/ford-...trunk/#3769767
Old 01-10-11, 09:46 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And to make my position further, here is the trunk of Focus Electric:

http://www.engadget.com/photos/ford-...trunk/#3769767
Ouch, that is really lacking in cargo space, especially considering it is a hatchback. It actually makes the GS and LS hybrid trunks look not too bad in comparison, since they are sedans.

Compare this to the Prius, or Lexus CT which have much more impressive cargo capacity.
Old 01-11-11, 05:17 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 163 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Ouch, that is really lacking in cargo space, especially considering it is a hatchback. It actually makes the GS and LS hybrid trunks look not too bad in comparison, since they are sedans.

Compare this to the Prius, or Lexus CT which have much more impressive cargo capacity.
Thats the difference when you custom build something, like Prius or Volt or Leaf or Tesla.
For their Tesla sedan, Tesla is integrating battery along complete floor of the vehicle so it wont take up space.

Also, reasons LS600h and GS450h never sold that well was partially due to lack of cargo capacity due to standard platform that cant be adjusted to the needs of hybrid vehicles.

On the other hand, RXh is doing really really well, despite the price, but you also have full cargo space, so experience is not compromised.
Old 01-11-11, 06:59 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,659 Posts

Toyota Prius 2010 USA sales - 140,928
Ford Fusion 2010 USA sales - 20,816
the prius is on its third generation, and the fusion hybrid was only launch in '09.
no question though, the prius sales level is impressive!

while its custom design may make it more effective, it still didn't have to be so funky, especially the interior.

Thats the difference when you custom build something, like Prius or Volt or Leaf or Tesla.
volt/leaf/tesla are EVs of course, unlike the prius.
still unclear how EV sales are likely to be, but i predict VERY low.

For their Tesla sedan, Tesla is integrating battery along complete floor of the vehicle so it wont take up space.
impressive and ambitious, but for (i predict) 3 times the price of a prius, it should be impressive.

Also, reasons LS600h and GS450h never sold that well was partially due to lack of cargo capacity due to standard platform that cant be adjusted to the needs of hybrid vehicles.

On the other hand, RXh is doing really really well, despite the price, but you also have full cargo space, so experience is not compromised.
i agree - good points. IMO, the RXh is the best executed hybrid yet and the only one i'd buy.