Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ford Mustang Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-11, 07:45 PM
jimxo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ford Mustang Convertible

Does anyone here know if the new Mustang is worth the money.

I was thinking of the ford mustang convertible would be a fun car to own. The new Camaro offers a convertible for 2011.

Not in any hurry but I would love to pick up something new or used.

I need a small back seat for kid.
Old 01-10-11, 07:51 PM
LexFather

I think it is. Reviews for both the V-6 and V-8 have been great. I would HAVE to get a V-8 Mustang but even the V-6 is superb. Make sure you get the sport pack.

Old 01-10-11, 08:22 PM
jimxo
Pole Position

What is the sport pack?
Old 01-10-11, 08:43 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jimxo
What is the sport pack?
Sport pack lets you get an option that can let you turn off stability control completely, there must be more to it but im not sure. just google it.
Old 01-11-11, 11:32 AM
jimxo
Pole Position

Got it. I've been reading reviews from Mustang owners that 2011 Mustang is much improved in quality and ride. I'm a little hesitant on how a convertible made by Ford will hold up against wind noise and how smooth the up/down operation works.
Old 01-11-11, 12:08 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There are not a lot of sporty four-seater convertibles out there.

The Mustang and Camaro will be one of the more sporty ones that wouldn't break the bank. If you want sport, these would the your choices.

The VW Eos is great. The rear seats are good, the build quality of the car is great, and it's a hardtop with sunroof. Not super sporty, but it gets the job done briskly, especially if you opt for the V6.

Of course, if you find a E46 BMW convertible, those are great too. My brother has one, and he uses it for weekend drives with the wife. Make sure you get an extended warranty.
Old 01-11-11, 02:47 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

jimxo,

I'm sure the Mustang convertible is a fine car, but personally I'd look for a used MB CLK63 convertible at around the same price. It's the cheapest way into a vehicle with the 6.2 v8, and they were made in relatively low numbers. MSRP was close to $90k and it can now be purchased in the $30's (depreciation has slowed now as well). The back seats will fit 2 adults (tight, but better than a 3 series vert rear seat), and of course it's a rocket.

Good luck!

Mike
Old 01-11-11, 03:20 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm 6"1', and legroom for the backseat doesn't exist, at least behind the driver's seat. Not sure if this will post a problem for you.

I have driven the 2010 Mustang coupe, its a nice, smooth ride with a pretty retro interior, stable suspension, good steering response, and stunning looks. Pretty sure the convertible will be the same. I haven't driven the Camaro, but just looking at the interior pictures I like the Mustang a lot more.
Old 01-11-11, 04:58 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The kid needs to be small to fit in back seat, well under 10 years old.
Old 01-11-11, 07:42 PM
jimxo
Pole Position

My son is only 6, but more importantly I want a car that is fun to drive and holds up over time. The Mustangs in the past have gotten low marks by many magazines.
Old 01-11-11, 08:07 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Good thread here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ml#post5806913

My thoughts:

I spent 3 days behind the wheel of this car and came away with many of the same impressions as the author. I've posted some of my thoughts in other Mustang threads so I'll try to keep this short.

The auto tranny needs a paddle shift option or a 6 speed manual option. There is nothing engaging about driving this car. Sure, the shifts are very smooth and effortless, but it borders on boring even though the car has a resonable amount of "get up and go". The exhaust sound is also weak. Not the muscle car roar that I was hoping for.

The interior is a step up for the Mustang. The white stitched leather is especially attractive, even though the quality of leather is non-luxury. The seats have virtually no support and no bolsters. The gauges are retro and look like a 5 yr old painted them onto cheap plastic.

The roof opens and closes quickly and quietly.

My biggest disappointment was in how it drove. The new 5.0 claims to run with an M3....and I call bs. I spent one afternoon flogging it on Vancouver Island and was shocked at how loose it felt. Entering one relatively tight corner at 170 km/h I felt body roll and a lack of connection that I have never experienced in my F. It made me feel uncomfortable at speed...something an M3/F/C63 do not do...ever.

This isn't to say I don't think it's a good car. Sync is a very cool set up and the stereo is decent. Above all, this car comes down to budget and it certainly is a good "bang for the buck" if that is what you are looking for.
Old 01-11-11, 11:00 PM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

Past soft-top convertible owner here. I'd go with the hard-top EOS for several reasons.

Less wind-noise. My Solara convertible was the DD. After the initial excitement wore off, I realized part of the novelty of convertible ownership, especially driving on the freeway, was the teleported experience into a clunked dish washer.

Longevity. During my years of the convertible ownership, I dropped the top often, 3xwk would be a very conservative statistics. On one raining day of the 4th winter I discovered the passenger seat was visibly wet with water beads. Cursed myself for not parking the car in the garage. Held on to the car for one more summer and the 5th winter I decided to get a quote on how poor I would be to replace the top. I was quoted a minimum of $1650 to $1800 from 3 different shops. The general consensus is 12 hours of labor + $700 and upward for the parts.

Elegant European interior. Sat in EOS at the 2011 L.A. auto show and I was so impressed with how plush the interior is. Seats were supportive, gauges were where they needed to be, roofline and doors close tightly. Big moon roof that opens up like the Porshe Targa. Cream interior made it looked and felt like a very upscale luxury car. EOS' priced aggressively, although it'll most likely to be more $$$$$$$ than the 'stang.

Conclusion: buy a hard-top convertible, and you will enjoy it for many years to come.
Old 01-11-11, 11:00 PM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

The new mustang is a beautiful machine, test drive one and you will fall in love with the power, the comfort, the technology, the workmansship, everything about that car is bad ***.
Old 01-12-11, 09:32 AM
jasoncd
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by felixsc300
I have driven the 2010 Mustang coupe, its a nice, smooth ride with a pretty retro interior, stable suspension, good steering response, and stunning looks.
How would you say it rides compared to your 350? I find my 250 jittery and harsh sometimes. I still need to test drive, but if the ride is better, I see myself moving to a Mustang rather than a 350 soon.