Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Some funny things people have said to me about cars

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-11, 05:10 PM
LexFather

Too many to name. Quite frankly some of the best are stuff I read on the internet

Old 01-11-11, 05:26 PM
Rolexus600
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
Standard AMG package, yes. But it didn't come with an AMG rear badge.

A LOT of those owners put a AMG rear badge on those cars, hence the confusion.

For that generation CLK, only the CLK55 comes with the AMG rear badge. That S500 dude was right, that AMG badge was an add on. I don't know what he was making fun of though, considering his S500 is also not an AMG.
Yeah, I remember when my friend did the research after having the car for about a month or so. He called me up and told me the sticker must have been put on by the original owner. The car was very nice looking. White exterior/Black interior with Nav. It was giving him lots of little troubles. AC vent broke, cupholder broke and rear defrost stopped working. He MAYBE kept it 4 months before trading it in on a brand new 2003 BMW 745Li.

I think the S500 guy was trying to out my friend as a fake.

Michael
Old 01-11-11, 05:34 PM
Rolexus600
Driver

I know both types of people:

A guy that always tells people he is so rich, he does live in a decent house in a highend neighborhood, then he leased a brand new Ford Taurus and start telling me how nice it is!

The other guy that never tells people he is rich, he was telling me he is going broke for spending too much money on cars, he is going to quit this car hobby. Then a few weeks later, he pay cash for a brand new $270k Ferrari F430, mind you he didn't sell any of the 5-6 fancy cars that he had before to fund the F430 purchase. I was like what was all that going broke talk huh?

Human mentality is a funny thing.
This guy in particular was just a joke. According to someone else (I know talk is cheap), he either came into money via an inheritance or a significant lawsuit. That experience demonstrated once and for all that money doesn't buy class!

Michael
Old 01-11-11, 05:42 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Rolexus600
Yeah, I remember when my friend did the research after having the car for about a month or so. He called me up and told me the sticker must have been put on by the original owner. The car was very nice looking. White exterior/Black interior with Nav. It was giving him lots of little troubles. AC vent broke, cupholder broke and rear defrost stopped working. He MAYBE kept it 4 months before trading it in on a brand new 2003 BMW 745Li.
Yeah those MB made between 1999-2006 are really bad. What I found funny is your friend don't know much about the CLK430 "AFTER" he bought it. But from the fact that he only kept it for 4 months, he is one of those that swap cars frequently, buy whatever he think is cool but don't really look into each car too much type of guys.

I think the S500 guy was trying to out my friend as a fake.

Michael
Now that I think about it, yeah that was his intention. I guess in a way it is somewhat an AMG, it got an AMG sport package and it does have a V8. It is much better then a co-worker I have now that got an old E320 with absolutely nothing AMG about it, all he did was lowered it on some H&R springs with some cheap aftermarket wheels. He put an AMG rear badge on it along with an E55 badge, he tells everyone it is a real AMG E55 also

I don't feel like bursting his bubble to make him hate me, I just go along with it pretending I don't know he is faking it
Old 01-11-11, 05:46 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

This guy in particular was just a joke. According to someone else (I know talk is cheap), he either came into money via an inheritance or a significant lawsuit. That experience demonstrated once and for all that money doesn't buy class!

Michael
Definitely, money don't buy class or good taste

I like to think I don't have money but I got good taste........haha....JK
Old 01-11-11, 06:11 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i dont even know what is rich or not,,guess its new money vs old money,,,my neighbor used to own pretty big company(later sold it for millions) and still drive a camry but his Employees drove bentley or benz,,
Old 01-11-11, 06:21 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LIMS407
i dont even know what is rich or not,,guess its new money vs old money,,,
My definition of rich is don't need to work and be able to substain a lavish luxury lifestyle for life.

my neighbor used to own pretty big company(later sold it for millions) and still drive a camry but his Employees drove bentley or benz,,
My point exactly. The boss who got millions in the bank try to hide it and drive a Camry. His employees that live paycheck to paycheck drive flashy Bentley or Benz
Old 01-11-11, 06:52 PM
Rolexus600
Driver

My definition of rich is don't need to work and be able to substain a lavish luxury lifestyle for life.

My point exactly. The boss who got millions in the bank try to hide it and drive a Camry. His employees that live paycheck to paycheck drive flashy Bentley or Benz

I have a lot of friends that keep raising their car payment but their income stays the same if it doesn't get lower. One guy is doing this (I'm not kidding)...1999 Cadillac ETC (new), 2006 MB S430 (new), 2008 MB SL550 (new), 2010 MB SL550 (new) and soon a 2007 - new Bentley Continental GTC.

Even if I was partof the Hollywood A list, I doubt I would buy a car that expensive.

Michael
Old 01-11-11, 07:07 PM
Rolexus600
Driver

Yeah those MB made between 1999-2006 are really bad. What I found funny is your friend don't know much about the CLK430 "AFTER" he bought it. But from the fact that he only kept it for 4 months, he is one of those that swap cars frequently, buy whatever he think is cool but don't really look into each car too much type of guys.

Now that I think about it, yeah that was his intention. I guess in a way it is somewhat an AMG, it got an AMG sport package and it does have a V8. It is much better then a co-worker I have now that got an old E320 with absolutely nothing AMG about it, all he did was lowered it on some H&R springs with some cheap aftermarket wheels. He put an AMG rear badge on it along with an E55 badge, he tells everyone it is a real AMG E55 also

I don't feel like bursting his bubble to make him hate me, I just go along with it pretending I don't know he is faking it

If I remember correctly, he was going for a late 90's CLK 320 but wanted the V8. In the late 90's he had Toyota Supras and Mitsubishi 3000GTs so he was quite addicted to speed. For 2000 and beyond he was all about capable luxury cars. Cars that he had that I recall were a 1992 MB 500SEL (bought 8 years old), a 2000 BMW 328ci (leased new), a 1997 Lexus LS400 Coach Edition (bought used), the 2000 or 2001 CLK430 I mentioned (bought pre-owned), a 2003 BMW 745Li (bought new), a 2003 BMW X5 3.0 (bought new), another 90s Toyota Supra (bought around 2004), a 2005 Infiniti G35 (leased new), a 2008 Acura MDX (leased new), a 2009 or 2010 Audi A5 3.2 (leased but put up on swap a lease very quickly - he hated it), a Honda Fit (bought about 4 years back. He still has it today- unsure of the year) and a 2004 Hummer H2 that he bought about 8 months ago.

He has genuine family wealth but his passion for cars is really gone. He has more of an interest in fishing boats these days and has had about 4 of them already.

He was the one that sparked my interest in BMWs. I never pulled the trigger though.

Michael
Old 01-11-11, 07:34 PM
Rolexus600
Driver

i dont even know what is rich or not,,guess its new money vs old money,,,my neighbor used to own pretty big company(later sold it for millions) and still drive a camry but his Employees drove bentley or benz,,
See my company is small, but manageable. I had a Mercedes but I was not happy with the frequency of repairs. I buy used but I treat my cars very well. I got rid of my LS400 when it was just about 10 years old. If I buy an E-class or an S-class, it's because I want a thrilling car that was built to last. The last experience with them soured me a bit on the brand, but I'm keeping my mind open. With some scary things going on in our economy, I'm going to conduct my next purchase with the long-term in mind.

Never say never but I couldn't foresee a circumstance where I'd buy a Bentley.

Michael
Old 01-11-11, 11:18 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

LOL... funny thread. I once had a co-worker who took such bad care of his car, birds were nesting in the needles and leaves that accumulated underneath the windshield wipers. This was his daily driver mind you. Oddly, he was actually a car guy too. We'd talk about cars often, but he had no concept of taking care of them. One time I was telling him about how someone backed into my car and put a scratch on it. He couldn't understand why I was mad and trying to get it fixed. His comment was, "I don't understand... they are bumpers... that's what they are made to do..." I was actually stunned after the comment and didn't know what to say back. He had no idea that some people take care of their cars and getting a scratch on them was a bad thing. To him it was supposed to happen and was normal driver to driver interaction (!). Later, it finally sunk in to me that there are people out there that simply do not care if they hit someone else's car.

Last edited by Fizzboy7; 01-12-11 at 02:10 AM.
Old 01-12-11, 01:28 AM
crazybuggy
Racer

loooooool raped by a gorilla and this things got ****!! ahahah.... great story! looool
Old 01-12-11, 10:21 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

I have a lot of friends that keep raising their car payment but their income stays the same if it doesn't get lower. One guy is doing this (I'm not kidding)...1999 Cadillac ETC (new), 2006 MB S430 (new), 2008 MB SL550 (new), 2010 MB SL550 (new) and soon a 2007 - new Bentley Continental GTC.

Even if I was partof the Hollywood A list, I doubt I would buy a car that expensive.

Michael
well his car payment is not raising that much.......it was a jump from the Caddy to the S430, but after that is staying consistence, he is just having a never ending car payment. Today, a used 07' GTC cost the same as a new 10' SL550.

I see your point though. In a way, if the income stay the same but with a more expensive car, yes the person would appear richer, but he is actually getting poorer.......lol......it is funny how things works.
Old 01-12-11, 01:54 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

I have a friend thats owns a pre owned 2006 Sonata, and he really wants a BMW (for the badge). His only condition is that it has to be less then $15,000, less then 50,000 miles and newer then 2006 and he must get $15000 for his Sonata. No matter how much I tell him that what he's trying to do is impossible, he wont quit. You just have to let things go sometimes.
Old 01-12-11, 02:16 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 170 Likes on 144 Posts

A coworker of mine bought an MB C230 because she was completely enamored with it. I overheard her talking to another coworker about her car, saying 'at least it's not a Lexus.' I just smiled, ignorance is bliss.

More of a pet peeve, I can't stand when people butcher the name of car - Oodee instead of Audi

Quick Reply: Some funny things people have said to me about cars