Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Report: Mercedes looking at naturally aspirated 5.5-liter V8 for AMG

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-11 | 10:43 PM
Hoovey689

Default Report: Mercedes looking at naturally aspirated 5.5-liter V8 for AMG

Report: Mercedes looking at naturally aspirated 5.5-liter V8 for AMG

The all-new twin-turbocharged 5.5-liter V8 may be Mercedes-Benz's AMG division's much-heralded pride-and-joy engine, but it certainly won't find a home under the hood of every single AMG product. To that point, AutoWeek reports that Mercedes-Benz is working on a naturally aspirated version of the 5.5-liter V8, slated for use not only in the refreshed SLK55, but in the AMG-fettled version of the C-Class coupe, the C55.

This new mill is claimed to produce around 422 horsepower – 62 more than what's currently available in the SLK55. New technologies like a cylinder cut-off mechanism will help improve fuel consumption while still sending a larger helping of power to the car's rear wheels.

AutoWeek also reports that while the upcoming C55 AMG coupe (and its hardcore Black Series version, which is rumored to be in the cards) will use this new 5.5-liter mill, the four-door C63 AMG sedan will retain the 6.2-liter free-breathing V8 that we currently enjoy, and that's just fine by us.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/01/12/r...-liter-v8-for/
Old 01-12-11 | 10:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

this is interesting. so the c63 (sedan) will keep the 6.2L with around 450hp. but the c55 (coupe) will use the 5.5L with around 422hp? i wonder if the coupe is going to be that much lighter and stuff to warrant the 30hp difference?
Old 01-12-11 | 10:53 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

So let me get this correct,

Before, AMG had their naturally aspirated engines and claimed that was the way to go with engines.

More recently they said naturally aspirated engines were a thing of the past and that turbo engines were the engines of the future.

Now, after all that talk, they are reconsidering going back to naturally aspirated engines?

Old 01-12-11 | 11:10 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
So let me get this correct,

Before, AMG had their naturally aspirated engines and claimed that was the way to go with engines.

More recently they said naturally aspirated engines were a thing of the past and that turbo engines were the engines of the future.

Now, after all that talk, they are reconsidering going back to naturally aspirated engines?

they are still rolling the dice i guess
Old 01-12-11 | 11:38 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I love naturally aspirated engines, but a well-built (reliable) turbo motor is also very tempting. This is a tough choice really, but what I wonder is whether AMG will make up its mind, or will it use both? Looks like both for now, but what about the future I wonder?
Old 01-12-11 | 11:41 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

I dont believe this report at all. There is no way mercedes will produce a new engine with LESS power than their current one.
Old 01-13-11 | 04:49 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Cost... and I think they're waffling due to all the turbo problems BMW has had... IMO MB is a little "stuffier" about AMG... if I recall, we haven't seen those turbos (read before flaming= SMALLER turbos) show up in the M line... yet....

If AMG can get reliable turbos with improved gas mileage, it's just a matter of time ... nothing like naturally aspirated