Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

the gasoline thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-07, 11:19 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Costco.... its always the cheapest here.
Old 06-08-07, 11:24 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jdoggg1
Since I have seen tankers drive across the street from Arco to Chevron filling both stations from the same truck, I no longer care where I get my gas. I have yet to see non-biased scientific studies comparing the "quality" of the gas from station to station.

Keep in mind the amount of cleaners in the gas will not effect performance (short term). Running carb/injector cleaner every few tanks is as effective as paying the premium for the often more expensive companies.

Anyone got any links to credible sources to refute this?
I've always believed this to be the case too, although I can't produce any evidence to prove it. It's like the arguing which company makes the best computer monitor when 2 or 3 companies provide the guts for every monitor on the market today. 6 of one, half-dozen of the other.
Old 06-08-07, 11:34 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's true that gasoline is gasoline. But additives are not additives.

As to whether you'd get more bang for your buck by just buying a few bottles of Techron and putting a small amount in every tank full of off-brand gasoline, or you'd be better off buying the slightly more expensive gasoline and not buying the additive... I don't think I've ever seen a cost analysis done before.

I do have to say I have to believe there's a benefit to consistently and evenly distributing quality detergent packages through your fuel system. It's kinda like how running small amounts of liquid fertilizer through your sprinkler system constantly every time your lawn is watered will produced better results than shock-treating it with huge amounts nitrogen every 6 weeks.

Though I'm guessing the ultimate combination would be to run a quality gasoline and then occasionally run an intense detergent through there such as a fuel SYSTEM cleaner. A lot of people don't realize it but there can be a dramatic difference in concentration between different fuel system products on the market. Even Chevron's own Techron has dramatic differences between their injector cleaner and system cleaner. They're both the same techron chemical, but dramatic differences in the level of concentration.

BG Products makes some great products too for top end cleaning (through the intake or PCV valve) and fuel system cleaners as well - in fact they license the techron formula for their fuel system cleaner and just use an ultra-concentrated blend of it. Though you'll never see them advertise that fact.

As for me I will put about whatever I come across in my Audi since it's a lease. For my wife's 4runner... I tell her to strive to fill up at Chevron or Shell. I like Sunoco as well but they aren't around here at all.
Old 06-08-07, 11:35 AM
Trexus

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by IS_Mine
+1

I don't care if Gas is cheaper at the Exon.. I'll drive streets over for Chevron. hehe.
Same here. I'll always buy Chevron gas instead of ExxonMobil gas. I'd rather run outta gas and push to Chevron than buy ExxonMobil gas...
Old 06-08-07, 11:38 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Threxx
I do have to say I have to believe there's a benefit to consistently and evenly distributing quality detergent packages through your fuel system. It's kinda like how running small amounts of liquid fertilizer through your sprinkler system constantly every time your lawn is watered will produced better results than shock-treating it with huge amounts nitrogen every 6 weeks.
Now that you mention it, that makes sense. I do agree.
Old 06-08-07, 12:34 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chevron or 76, never Arco!!
Old 06-08-07, 12:59 PM
joonsta
Lead Lap

Union 76 only.

I heard that 76 has the lowest emission gas of the Top Tier gas companies.
Old 06-08-07, 01:04 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the cheapest and closest....within reason. i try to stick with Shell if I can.
Old 06-08-07, 02:00 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Stop & Shop (The main Grocery chain of the Northeast). It's .10 off a gallon with free store card and another .10 off a gallon coupon with $50 purchase in the store. So it's $.20 cheaper than anyone else.

Looks like there's a million Costco's in Cali. I've never been to one. There's not to many in the Northeast. Closest one to me is 40 miles. We have BJ's wholesale club which also sells gas cheap.
Old 06-08-07, 03:22 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Koz
Top Tier only!

http://www.toptiergas.com/

Koz
Yeah, I just found out about this recently... I used to be a cheapo and always used RaceTrac gas (I knew it probably wasn't the best quality out there, but I didn't think it was a big deal... plus it was in a perfect location), but now I'm switching over to the next easiest gas station on my way home from work: QuikTrip.

It's on the list, at least.

Last edited by RocketGuy3; 06-08-07 at 03:26 PM.
Old 06-08-07, 03:34 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by IS_Mine
+1

I don't care if Gas is cheaper at the Exon.. I'll drive streets over for Chevron. hehe.
+2 at Costco. Costo Gas is sourced by BP, Chevron, or Shell, just minus the additives. I get my octane rating there.

There is no cost analysis needed for adding additives. Autozone has Free After Rebate every month. Currently Gumout Regane Fuel System Cleaner is FAR, it has 30-40% PEA, a proven top notch additive to remove carbon deposits. Gumout is made by SOPUS, the same company makes Shell V Power gasoline.

I just picked up 6 12oz bottles, that is 1) 72 oz of less gas to buy 2) three months of Costco+ Gumout Regane > Shell V Power even if one Gumout is used every other week.

Oh, I have about 10 bottles of Chevron Techron Concentrated Plus Fuel System Cleaner. When Gumout ran out, I got my own better than Chevron Supreme gas right here again. Again free thanks to Autozone.
Then it should be Gumout FAR time again
Old 06-08-07, 04:54 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I always get the cheapest out of all the major gas companies. Sometimes they are even cheaper than the cheap Raceway, Petro 91 gas stations. I fill up with Shell V-Power, BP, or Hess (and sometimes Getty or Citgo). I also use Chevron Techron every 5K miles.

Originally Posted by JLSC4
Stop & Shop (The main Grocery chain of the Northeast). It's .10 off a gallon with free store card and another .10 off a gallon coupon with $50 purchase in the store. So it's $.20 cheaper than anyone else.

Looks like there's a million Costco's in Cali. I've never been to one. There's not to many in the Northeast. Closest one to me is 40 miles. We have BJ's wholesale club which also sells gas cheap.

Super Stop & Shop serves gas??!! Wow. Theres quite a few Costco's in NJ (I can think of about 4 of them in a 20 mile radius in my part of NJ) but not as much in the Philly area. Ton's of BJ's as well. However, neither sell gas here.

Last edited by GFerg; 06-08-07 at 05:00 PM.
Old 06-08-07, 05:05 PM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Shell and Chevron. I used the 76 once and didn't like the feel of it (maybe its just me)
Old 06-08-07, 05:57 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

I stick exclusively with Sunoco. It's been like that for several years now. Can't remember ever having bad gas from them.
Old 06-08-07, 06:08 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GFerg

Super Stop & Shop serves gas??!! Wow. Theres quite a few Costco's in NJ (I can think of about 4 of them in a 20 mile radius in my part of NJ) but not as much in the Philly area. Ton's of BJ's as well. However, neither sell gas here.

I've never seen a Stop & Shop without a gas station. We have a Stop & Shop like every 5 - 10 miles and they all have large gas stations that are always crowded. There's usually like 8 pumps with 8-16 cars waiting. All the Mobil's, Shell's, Sunoco's, and other "big name" places are dead up here because of the bargain places. I don't know how Mobil, ect. survives.

Quick Reply: the gasoline thread