Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

the gasoline thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-11, 10:04 PM
mnguye47
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 509IS350
Shell V-Power only!
I agree! I heard it's the best one for our cars
Old 01-13-11, 10:10 PM
HighImStan
Pole Position

This may sound crazy....I have a friend with an RX and we did an experiment between Chevron and Shell for about half a year with similar driving conditions. Both of us found that Shell gave us higher MPG! Ever since I just stick with Shell V-Power Plus it is one of the cheapest in my neighborhood.
Old 01-13-11, 11:43 PM
Secksee
Lead Lap

Arco!!!

jk. Shell for me
Old 01-14-11, 05:33 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by HighImStan
This may sound crazy....I have a friend with an RX and we did an experiment between Chevron and Shell for about half a year with similar driving conditions. Both of us found that Shell gave us higher MPG! Ever since I just stick with Shell V-Power Plus it is one of the cheapest in my neighborhood.
It doesn't sound crazy, but it doesn't sound scientific either.

For one thing "similar" driving isn't same, and I assume this was done on two DIFFERENT vehicles (even if same model) so you have things like how recently any maintenance was done, how each person drives, how much each uses the AC, etc.

Believe me, if one gas brand could prove it offered better mileage they'd never shut up about it.
Old 01-14-11, 05:54 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Buy it where everybody buys from. That way fresh gas is always there.
Old 01-14-11, 07:37 AM
ScKcBc
Lexus Test Driver

lmao @ this thread, I get gas whenever I need it and whatever is closest and cheapest. I'll buy gas from a guy on a camel with a tank on it's back
Old 01-14-11, 08:19 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get chevron all the time everytime! Mainly bec its on the way home and its usually cheaper than the rest. Its like a win win for me.
Old 01-14-11, 08:31 AM
SB350
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I try to get gas at places that have separate hoses for each grade of gas. That way I can be sure that I'm not getting somebody else's remainder of low grade gas that's still left in the hose, since I'm paying for the premium grade fuel.
Old 01-14-11, 08:41 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Esso (Imperial Oil - Exxon) only reason I go with them, seeing I got some pay pass with them lol

Last edited by JessePS; 01-14-11 at 08:45 AM.
Old 01-14-11, 09:13 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

most of the time its Chevron w/Techron -- also I use Texaco because it has Techron as well.

Lots of articles about Techron helping to un-stick gas gauges, fuel sending units, etc.

and I get better MPG with Chevron in the Prius than when I fuel with Shell.

I refuse to use EXXON because of the Valdez disaster.
Old 01-14-11, 09:24 AM
rebs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Based on what specific evidence do you believe that?

It would be like saying that once you have the federally required amount (which all gas sold in the US has) then more doesn't help.

Again if you've ANY evidence that it does please provide it.
Although I believe you are a huge asset to this forum, I find it very interesting that you seem to always put the burden of proof on the party that disagrees with you. No matter how many studies I post (and we both know there are several) you are going to discount them because they somehow support Top Tier fuels whether its from a car manufacturer or an oil company. I will just say that Toyota has voluntarily come on board and is a supporter of Top Tier fuels for their vehicles. That above all studies we would potentially debate is probably the most important fact the OP can take away from this debate.

The following quote "There's little difference between brand-name gas and any other," -AAA spokesman Geoff Sundstrom is a joke. For one thing, have any of you met a AAA employee? I'm sure there are some bright ones, but to say they are somehow an expert on fuel (or oil is a joke). There is a reason they generally stick to the basics (increased traffic flow, fuel prices, etc) and that's because they don't have the engineering staff or studies to make such statements.

The truth is just because everyone's hates the oil industry (and probably rightfully so), that doesn't mean *everything* they (or the car manufacturers associated with top tier fuels) say is a lie.

As I mentioned before, several CAR MANUFACTURERS now support top tier fuels, and I quote "Six of the world's top automakers, BMW, General Motors, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen and Audi recognize that the current EPA minimum detergent requirements do not go far enough to ensure optimal engine performance. " -http://www.toptiergas.com/index.html

If several car manufacturers (and note TOYOTA) say the current EPA minimum detergent requirements do not go far enough to ensure optimal performance, perhaps...just perhaps....they know what they are talking about.

Am I overly **** about picking Top Tier fuels...not really, but do I currently use a Top Tier (non-ethanol) fuel when I'm at home? Yep, and I usually pay the same (or similar) price as cheap Flying J or Costco gas across the street.

Having said that, to each their own....

Last edited by rebs; 01-14-11 at 09:38 AM.
Old 01-14-11, 10:04 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rebs
Although I believe you are a huge asset to this forum, I find it very interesting that you seem to always put the burden of proof on the party that disagrees with you.
No, I put it on the person making a claim.

You claim top tier fuel is functionally "better" so I ask for evidence of this.

No matter how many studies I post (and we both know there are several) you are going to discount them because they somehow support Top Tier fuels whether its from a car manufacturer or an oil company.
No, I'll discount them because they are paid for by those people.

If you have any objective testing to provide, by all means do so.

The fact there doesn't appear to be any... (and if there were it'd be advertised a lot more heavily by those companies) is fairly telling.

The following quote "There's little difference between brand-name gas and any other," -AAA spokesman Geoff Sundstrom is a joke. For one thing, have any of you met a AAA employee? I'm sure there are some bright ones, but to say they are somehow an expert on fuel (or oil is a joke). There is a reason they generally stick to the basics (increased traffic flow, fuel prices, etc) and that's because they don't have the engineering staff or studies to make such statements.
A corporate spokesperson is a bit different from "dude who works at the local office"

But here's some others who agree with him:

A twice-yearly gasoline-quality survey by the trade group Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers "hasn't identified any quality differences based on geography or brand," says Alliance spokesman Charles Territo.
"I see these ads on TV where Shell says, 'We filled up with Shell and some other gasoline and saw a difference,' and I think it's a myth," says Thomas Darlington, engineer and consultant at Air Improvement Resource in Novi, Mich., and formerly at the EPA.

"Gasolines today are very, very clean from the standpoint of not forming engine deposits" because of the EPA and industry requirements, he argues.
"It's hype," says Dennis DeCota, executive director of the California Service Station and Automotive Repair Association. "It would be very hard to differentiate" among brands.
Apart from which, again, if you've any evidence that there's a real difference from someone other than the Top Tier folks, please provide it.

The truth is just because everyone's hates the oil industry (and probably rightfully so), that doesn't mean *everything* they (or the car manufacturers associated with top tier fuels) say is a lie.
Nor does it mean it's true either.

Hence why one should look for information from a source OTHER than the one most likely to benefit. And you've provided none.

As I mentioned before, several CAR MANUFACTURERS now support top tier fuels, and I quote "Six of the world's top automakers, BMW, General Motors, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen and Audi recognize that the current EPA minimum detergent requirements do not go far enough to ensure optimal engine performance. " -http://www.toptiergas.com/index.html

If several car manufacturers (and note TOYOTA) say the current EPA minimum detergent requirements do not go far enough to ensure optimal performance, perhaps...just perhaps....they know what they are talking about.
Ford recommends BP gas. Which is not top tier. Why does, say, Honda, "know something" but Ford (which sells a lot more cars than they do) not "know something"?

So again, if you've any actual evidence that gasoline from BP, Sunoco (US), Citgo, etc is somehow "bad" for your car compared to, say, Chevron, please provide it.

This seriously reminds me of the brake discussion... folks who don't know any better, and have nothing to support their claims, insisting that "bigger" rotors MUST always be better... just like the top tier fans insist that MORE detergent, even a tiny amount beyond the level that effectively cleans the motor, is useful.
Old 01-14-11, 10:04 AM
potatosink
Rookie

chevron with techron
Old 01-14-11, 10:31 AM
rebs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kurtz
No, I put it on the person making a claim.

You claim top tier fuel is functionally "better" so I ask for evidence of this. No, I'll discount them because they are paid for by those people.

This seriously reminds me of the brake discussion... folks who don't know any better, and have nothing to support their claims, insisting that "bigger" rotors MUST always be better... just like the top tier fans insist that MORE detergent, even a tiny amount beyond the level that effectively cleans the motor, is useful.
I like you Kurtz; I genuinely do, but I just don't think are objective on this topic.

"Six of the world's top automakers, BMW, General Motors, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen and Audi recognize that the current EPA minimum detergent requirements do not go far enough to ensure optimal engine performance."

Your reference to Ford (whom I like) picking one specific gasoline brand/manufacturer really doesn't say anything specifically about Top Tier fuels...just that they currently have a contract with BP (who I personally wouldn't be all that excited about).

" Over the past several years, the minimum level of detergent additive required by the EPA has declined by an estimated 50%."

Yes, you quoted several people in your reply. Ironically, not one of those quotes had anything to do with an actual study (just like the AAA quote). I don't see how your quotes should be considered more valid over the studies you already acknowledged exist....

Yes, I totally concede that all of the studies would be backed by a car manufacturer or the oil industry (and therefore discounted by you). Studies cost money, and it's normal that since they asked for the study and acted on it...it's going to be their money behind the scenes. Despite the fact that you admitted such studies (and results) exist and that you discount them, that still doesn't invalidate the results ;-) That just means in your opinion the studies are not valid because of where the money comes from, and in my opinion I'll take the studies over your opinion (which appears not to be based on any study but the opinion of others).

I don't think this has anything to do with a brake discussion (or the brake pad discussion which I agree with you on) at all. You have a situation where car manufacturers (including ours) support a new standard for fuel requirements. You choose to not believe in it (and discount the studies you know exist because they paid for them), and that's your choice, but that doesn't take away from the fact that the "top tier" standard is the standard our car manufacturer supports.

Last edited by rebs; 01-14-11 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-14-11, 10:34 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

There is gas distributor/wholesaler in my town (Conner) that also owns a chain of stations and mini marts (Gas City).

I see their tankers all the time delivering gas to their stations as well as the Shell, BP, Speedway etc., etc. stations in the area (no Chevron around here).

The additives might be differrent for each brand but probably not by much.

IMO you can't go wrong with any of them and it's just a matter off personal preference and price.

Quick Reply: the gasoline thread