Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW X1 U.S. launch delayed

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-11, 06:01 PM
LexFather

Post BMW X1 U.S. launch delayed

So the X1 is coming here. So they will have X1, X3, X5, X6. Wow. Please delay the ugly as long as possible.

It's no secret that the BMW X1 is insanely popular - as it recently overtook the Audi Q5 to become Europe's top selling premium SUV - but a new report is indicting the unprecedented demand will cause the company to postpone the US launch.

In an interview with Car and Driver, BMW spokesman Tom Plucinsky said the X1 won't be coming "until fall of 2011 at the absolute earliest." This is because the Leipzig plant can barely keep up European orders and a US launch simply isn't feasible at the moment.

Despite the delay, America's neighbors to the north (Canada for the scholars among us) will get the X1 early this year as scheduled.

Read more: http://www.worldcarfans.com/11101133...#ixzz1B465WXr8

Old 06-07-11, 09:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

In an interview with Car and Driver, BMW spokesman Tom Plucinsky said the X1 won't be coming "until fall of 2011 at the absolute earliest."
The U.S.-market launch-delay is now also verified by Road and Track magazine as well.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/dr...w-x1-xdrive28i

The BMW X1 will not go on sale in the U.S. this year because production is at capacity trying to meet European demand. That’s too bad, as the 5-passenger X1 slots in well below the X3 and is a playful vehicle to drive. Its interior is standard 1 Series and the X1 I drove had BMW’s new TwinPower Turbo 2.0-liter inline-4 gasoline engine making 245 bhp. It’s essentially a truncated 3.0-liter inline-6, mated to a proper 6-speed manual. The 28 name was chosen because BMW feels the car has performance equivalent to that of the company’s naturally aspirated six. It’s peppy with a good power surge in the middle of the rev range. Its only quirk is the lack of a snappy low-rpm throttle response—no boost, little power. The chassis feels light on its feet but slightly encumbered by a high center of gravity. Compared to an X3, the X1 feels like a featherweight, and not surprisingly very much like the new Mini Countryman, just without a quirky interior.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Please delay the ugly as long as possible.
Europeans sure don't seem to think it's too ugly to buy. In fact, excessive demand in Europe, and a shortage of supply, is what is (now) keeping it out of the American market.

A shame, too. I had it on my (possible)-review list, despite the lack of a formal request, and, if I was in the market for a brand-new BMW, this would probably be the first model I looked at.
Old 06-07-11, 09:30 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

marshal you will not like the X1 at all :-).

Yes, it is best selling premium SUV because it costs little. Cost wise, it compares well to Rav4 here, and I am looking into it as they have some discounts on it.
Old 06-07-11, 10:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
marshal you will not like the X1 at all :-).
We'll see. I go into most reviews, of course, with an open mind. But I do like AWD, some ground clearance, a roomy cargo area, BMW steering/chassis engineering, and, of course, a reasonable price. The X1 seems to combine all of those, though I hope it doesn't have the X3's noted stiff ride. Being a 1-series, you might even be able to omit the I-Drive, which I disdain.
Old 06-07-11, 10:30 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Weird that the US launch is delayed. I already saw one or two here in Montreal. I was actually surprised, I had no idea they were for sale already here.
Old 06-07-11, 10:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JessePS
Weird that the US launch is delayed. I already saw one or two here in Montreal. I was actually surprised, I had no idea they were for sale already here.
The ones you saw in the Canadian market probably weren't Federalized to the extent that U.S.-market models would have been. It costs automakers money to do that......and projected demand/sales would have to justify the expense. Even if the demand were there in the U.S. (and it might be) the existing X1 plant-capacity apparantly cannot meet it.
Old 06-07-11, 10:41 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
We'll see. I go into most reviews, of course, with an open mind. But I do like AWD, some ground clearance, a roomy cargo area, BMW steering/chassis engineering, and, of course, a reasonable price. The X1 seems to combine all of those, though I hope it doesn't have the X3's noted stiff ride. Being a 1-series, you might even be able to omit the I-Drive, which I disdain.
X1 is one size smaller than US Rav4, and has less space overall (considerably so).

I dont mind it personally, I would buy it because it is BMW and because X3 is insanely expensive due to high tax system here in Croatia.

I can see people buying it as it is easy entry into the brand.
Old 06-07-11, 10:42 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

I have to say that only thing i mind on it is side profile, which looks like they have saved some cost on stamping (and they probably did)... it looks really poor.

Q5 is gorgeous but Q5 starts at double the X1 price.
Old 06-07-11, 12:17 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I thin it doesnt look half bad for a mini SUV. As with all BMW products I am sure it will handle and feel more direct than the rest in its class
Old 06-07-11, 12:49 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JessePS
Agreed.

I see one regularly in my small town. Thing is ugly as hell and looks like it would fall apart if you drove over anything due to the small tires and exposed suspension when you view it from the side angle.
Old 06-07-11, 10:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
X1 is one size smaller than US Rav4, and has less space overall (considerably so).
Yes, I know it smaller than the RAV-4/CR-V class, but it still has more cargo space (and more ground-clearance) than the regular 1-series coupe or convertible (we don't get the 1-series sedan in the U.S.)

I have to say that only thing I mind on it is side profile, which looks like they have saved some cost on stamping (and they probably did)... it looks really poor.
That sheet-metal folds/seams on the body-sides, though, which run through both outside door-handles, probably took some time, labor, and money to tool up in the metal-stamping machines.

Q5 is gorgeous but Q5 starts at double the X1 price.
The Q5 is a joy to drive....and, like most Audis, its fit/finish is impeccable. I really enjoyed reviewing the one I did last year. ...the only thing I didn't like was the awkward MMI.
Old 06-07-11, 11:58 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
we don't get the 1-series sedan in the U.S.
Where is the sedan available and what does it look like, the 3 and 5 door versions look nice.
Old 06-08-11, 02:02 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
So the X1 is coming here. So they will have X1, X3, X5, X6. Wow. Please delay the ugly as long as possible.

I respect your opinion but unfortunately, I'm afraid that I have to humbly disagree with you on that.

I've seated in two X1 vehicles (xDrive20d and sDrive18i). Both of these vehicles look neat and interior is still as BMW as you can get.

@mmarshall
Philippine-market X1 models do not have iDrive. Instead the dealers give you an option to purchase GPS navigation system via a small touch screen (as an external device).