Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

AWESOME Lexus Commercial "The Hard Way"

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-11, 09:20 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by RXSF
I kind of have to agree with Mister Two here. It is impressive there is no doubting that, but we dont know whether or not an S class can do the same. its just like those old mercedes benz commercials, where the tag line was "because we promised you a mercedes benz"

"why did we engineer the doors on the C class to hold a 200 pound man..." I havent tried, but Im pretty sure every other car can too
I never actually thought that Lexus could do it and others can't. What I did feel was Lexus without a doubt CAN do it. Not even worried about the competition.

Not even advertising piece needs to be about others. This is a great piece showing the strength of Lexus (especially with the 2010 recalls). Lexus has the IS ad where the competition is mentioned.

Recent Audi and Acura ads are kind of crassy and tasteless as they try to make fun of "old luxury" like its a bad thing and try to tell the consumer they are somehow better b/c they are the "other guy". Well its insulting to people happy with their "old luxury".

Old 01-20-11, 11:42 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
I kind of have to agree with Mister Two here. It is impressive there is no doubting that, but we dont know whether or not an S class can do the same. its just like those old mercedes benz commercials, where the tag line was "because we promised you a mercedes benz"

"why did we engineer the doors on the C class to hold a 200 pound man..." I havent tried, but Im pretty sure every other car can too
The most important question you have to ask is, who cares? I mean outside of a few people on internet forums, IMHO just HOW many people among the general public care whether a competitor's product can do the same thing they see in the commercial?

When people see BMW's "Ultimate Driving Machine" commercials, do you REALLY think a lot of people wonder "hmm, are cars from the competitors also Ultimate Driving Machines"?

I don't understand why this is a point of contention with Lexus, yet you almost never see such criticisms brought up with Audi, BMW, or Benz commercials . What is it with Lexus that they have to constantly be picked on, sometimes even by Lexus fans?
Old 01-20-11, 11:46 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Really good commercials.
Old 01-20-11, 11:47 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
The most important question you have to ask is, who cares? I mean outside of a few people on internet forums, IMHO just HOW many people among the general public care whether a competitor's product can do the same thing they see in the commercial?

When people see BMW's "Ultimate Driving Machine" commercials, do you REALLY think a lot of people wonder "hmm, are cars from the competitors also Ultimate Driving Machines"?

I don't understand why this is a point of contention with Lexus, yet you almost never see such criticisms brought up with Audi, BMW, or Benz commercials . What is it with Lexus that they have to constantly be picked on, sometimes even by Lexus fans?
I agree. Each car brand has their own marketing approach/slogan, and shouldn't be over analyzed. It's just the message and image each wants to put forward. Some work better than others.

Volvo's been touting safety for years. Most cars have similar safety systems now, but that's still the message Volvo wants to convey.
Old 01-20-11, 12:38 PM
lyyca
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

that was awesome! thanks for the links!
Old 01-20-11, 02:13 PM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
No reason for them to show how the others hold up when they never made an ad like this in the first place. Until they show more cars hanging together the consumer will assume that Lexus makes maybe the strongest cars.

The ad also mentions for people to go to to website where they will also possibly watch the behind the scenes videos.

The ad was very effective, it shows the strength of the cars and as slvr srfr stated "from the LS to the IS" and it all goes into the LFA.

Its one of Team One's better commercials as of late. Very well done!
The problem is, chassis stiffness has never been known as one of Lexus's strengths. The other commercials in this campaign are not comparing Lexus to competitors either, but they are much more easily related to--things like superior paint quality, leather quality, wood quality, engine smoothness, etc. can all be seen or felt when people are near or in a Lexus. But chassis stiffness... I don't know... it's just hard for me to feel when I'm in a typically-softly-sprung Lexus. And by quantifying this quality using such a surreal measurement of the number of cars that can be chained vertically underneath a car, I really can't "feel" and be impressed by the chassis stiffness because there's nothing in my life experience that's remotely like that.

It's like if someone tells you she's pretty because she won a beauty contest on Mars... you'd probably be more impressed by that she's on Mars in the first place than how pretty she is (because you have no idea what Martians are like and what they like). Same with this first commercial, I came away more impressed by the very unusual scene that Lexus set up for the commercial than the stiffness of the LS chassis itself.

If I were to do this commercial I'd probably follow what they've done in the other commercials in this series by filming the arduous tests (tests that they really use, not stunt) that a piece of steel must go through before qualifying for use in a Lexus chassis and the level of attention paid to the forging and assembly of the chassis in the manufacturing process.

Last edited by Mister Two; 01-20-11 at 03:08 PM.
Old 01-20-11, 04:35 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Mister Two
The problem is, chassis stiffness has never been known as one of Lexus's strengths. The other commercials in this campaign are not comparing Lexus to competitors either, but they are much more easily related to--things like superior paint quality, leather quality, wood quality, engine smoothness, etc. can all be seen or felt when people are near or in a Lexus. But chassis stiffness... I don't know... it's just hard for me to feel when I'm in a typically-softly-sprung Lexus. And by quantifying this quality using such a surreal measurement of the number of cars that can be chained vertically underneath a car, I really can't "feel" and be impressed by the chassis stiffness because there's nothing in my life experience that's remotely like that.

It's like if someone tells you she's pretty because she won a beauty contest on Mars... you'd probably be more impressed by that she's on Mars in the first place than how pretty she is (because you have no idea what Martians are like and what they like). Same with this first commercial, I came away more impressed by the very unusual scene that Lexus set up for the commercial than the stiffness of the LS chassis itself.

If I were to do this commercial I'd probably follow what they've done in the other commercials in this series by filming the arduous tests (tests that they really use, not stunt) that a piece of steel must go through before qualifying for use in a Lexus chassis and the level of attention paid to the forging and assembly of the chassis in the manufacturing process.
I've done it all in a Lexus. Cruised, raced, tracked, totaled. The cars are built like tanks and this ad reaffirmed that for me. I didn't get any indication that this ad was a case for chassis stiffness but rather the quality of the car itself. I think you are over analyzing it, which is fine but most won't.

The internet is a great thing in this car. Lexus shows these cars hanging, and a yellow LFA. Some curious consumers will be like "that is bullcrap" go to the site and see it is true. Some curious consumers will be like "what is that yellow car" or "oh yeah let me check out the LFA again" and they go to Lexus. The Lexus haters will say 'that is just not possible" go to the site and see it is real.

I honestly cannot think of many negatives with this commercial. Before you think I'm being biased, I am stated that Lexus commercials until recently have been a miss (GS commercials were awful).

Old 01-20-11, 04:44 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I wouldnt say that I am picking on Lexus. I love the commercials on here. I am just taking into account another forum member's opinion that we dont know whether chassis strength is really unique to Lexus or not.
Old 01-20-11, 09:46 PM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

OK I just realized that Lexus is not the first one to have done the first commercial, so we now have a reference point that the LS chassis is at least as strong as that of an LR3.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fufTUpi3FU
Old 01-21-11, 07:07 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This doesn't need to turn into a battle or a need to 'defend' Lexus. I agree with Mister Two as well. I saw the commercial for the first time last night and didn't get it. I saw the title of this thread a day or two ago and for some reason never checked it.

After seeing the commercial yesterday, I didn't really connect with what it meant. They picked 5 cars up on a chain. I saw the LS but didn't really focus on what the other cars were and just assumed they were LS's as well. Then the LFA drove up and of course I got excited and focused on that. Guy gets out and commercial ends.

So for me as much as I love Lexus, I didn't get the connection of Lexus doing it the 'hard way' with nothing to relate it to in comparison. Because I know how much work went into the LFA of course I was proud. But until I read page 2 of this thread (without watching any of the videos, yes I'm about too now) I didn't understand it was mainly about chassis strength more than lineage.

So I can understand a non car person knowing even less about Lexus not connecting to the commercial. Nor is an average person going to understand the risk of putting the $400k LFA underneath the chain because most won't know the price and may just take a 'so what' attitude.

Myself now though, I do appreciate the commercial more and am sure I will love the behind the scenes video as I watch them now.
Old 01-26-11, 03:23 PM
emad2007
Driver

jobs
Old 01-26-11, 11:31 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Great wood photos .
Old 01-27-11, 07:47 AM
LexFather

Maybe Lexus should have made it "The Easy Way"

Old 01-27-11, 08:03 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,270 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Great wood photos! I still haven't seen any of the spots on TV, but usually DVR stuff so may have skipped over it.

The behind the scenes releases are a smart move I think.
Old 01-27-11, 08:29 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i thought besides the first one, the rest are not commercial? they are all over a min, too long and expensive for commercial spots i think

but i love all of them i have to say

Quick Reply: AWESOME Lexus Commercial "The Hard Way"