Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai Gandeur/Azera (fifth generation)

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-10, 02:32 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
Even if the new Azera's tails use a similar idea, it's clearly not a copycat move. Do we think Hyundai went back to 1992 to copy a design?

Numerous cars have used this cross-linked design in the tail lights.
Here's a few quick examples of the same theme...

Dodge Intrepid...

Eagle Talon...

Mazda RX-7...

Ford Taurus...

Yeah, the RX-7 was the only car to ever pull this off. Seriously.
Old 12-26-10, 07:37 AM
AkzS5
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

new olive metallic color
Attached Thumbnails Hyundai Gandeur/Azera (fifth generation)-hg-rendering.jpg  
Old 12-27-10, 07:35 AM
akbergq
Lead Lap

Attached Thumbnails Hyundai Gandeur/Azera (fifth generation)-bell1291104872.jpg   Hyundai Gandeur/Azera (fifth generation)-bell1290920746.jpg   Hyundai Gandeur/Azera (fifth generation)-bell1291086775.jpg   Hyundai Gandeur/Azera (fifth generation)-bell1291086781.jpg   Hyundai Gandeur/Azera (fifth generation)-bell1291178907.jpg  

Last edited by akbergq; 12-27-10 at 08:22 AM.
Old 12-27-10, 08:02 AM
akbergq
Lead Lap

http://www.clubhg.kr/

this website has tons of pictures from the interior (you can see them in the middle of the homepage) but its impossible to even sign up to become a member becasue everything is in korean and theres no way to translate the page.
Old 12-27-10, 08:20 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a great looking car - much moreso than any other Hyundai. I've got a feeling this could eat a significant number of Genesis sales, even if it is FWD.
Old 12-27-10, 08:23 AM
akbergq
Lead Lap

Audi S5 anyone? good job! loll
Attached Thumbnails Hyundai Gandeur/Azera (fifth generation)-bell1291104872.jpg  
Old 12-27-10, 08:51 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by akbergq
The ES and TL interior is a freakin joke compared to the new azera interior. Ill admit there is ACura'ish **** work but the styling is just sexy in this car.
looks are one thing.
Touch and feel another.

I will vote when I get to touch it myself.
Old 12-27-10, 09:36 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexBob2
The current gen Azera seems like a decent car overall but has never sold very well at all. This new one should do better since it has better styling (IMO) and the Hyundai brand is stronger now than it was when the Azera came out.

I'm still surprised they are keeping the name rather than starting fresh with another name.
There are 2 ways:

1. Start fresh with a new brand name. That involves building a whole new infrastructure around that new name.

2. Capitalize on the existing brand name. Hyundai is currently synonymous with cheap, albeit reliable cars.

In this economy, #2 makes more sense to Hyundai, and I agree.
Old 12-27-10, 10:54 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
looks are one thing.
Touch and feel another.

I will vote when I get to touch it myself.
So true

That was my experience with the new Sonata, it looks SO NICE and upscale in pictures, it looks almost like a ES350.......A LOT of people said that too. Then I go look at one in person, it feels just like the comparable Camry and Accord.....is a non-luxury main stream family car. It looks A LOT nicer in pictures then in real life.
Old 12-27-10, 11:04 AM
WAES300
Driver

Wow- looking at spy pix, I must say it actually looks nice. I'm no fan of the Sonata (too much going on there) but the new Azera looks pretty good imo. They really should make a new luxury oriented brand to separate it from the 'Hyundai' image. (We had a bad experience with a Hyundai so we would stay away for a while anyway, but still!)
Old 12-27-10, 11:11 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BNR34
So true

That was my experience with the new Sonata, it looks SO NICE and upscale in pictures, it looks almost like a ES350.......A LOT of people said that too. Then I go look at one in person, it feels just like the comparable Camry and Accord.....is a non-luxury main stream family car. It looks A LOT nicer in pictures then in real life.
Completely agree. Interior looks great but once you start touching, feeling and prodding, the Sonata loses it's luster.
Old 12-27-10, 11:31 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Completely agree. Interior looks great but once you start touching, feeling and prodding, the Sonata loses it's luster.
Yeah for sure. To be clear though, the Sonata is excellent for what it is suppose to be, a Camry/Accord fighter. Just in pictures it looks like an entry level luxury car like a ES350 or TL, which it is not. It looks a lot nicer then it actually is.
Old 12-27-10, 11:48 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

I test drove a Hoondai Genesis coupe couple of months back, and the buttons on the console were not at all inviting. Once I touched it, I never felt like putting my fingers on them again. My 1999 Mazda Protege had better touch and feel.
Old 12-27-10, 12:12 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

^ Try knocking on some of the sheet metal on the GC. Budweiser's aluminum bottles feel more substantial.
Old 01-02-11, 01:30 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i think there's a difference. VW had never sold ANYTHING considered luxurious before they hit the market with that. i think they did phaeton out of ego and thought the 'halo' might help the brand overall (fail).

hyundai has been improving their offerings a lot over time, with genesis, new sonata (not a luxury car no, but impressive), and now equus, so they've been prepping the market for them adding upscale models. their kia line is improving a lot too, especially the sorrento, and i expect hyundai to really ratchet up their cuv/suv line next.
I disagree. The VW Passat was always seen as a "class above" the midsize sedan market in the US. The Passat was always too pricey and too premium to compete with major midsize models like the Camry and Accord. The Passat was somewhat luxurious, especially for the midsize class.

Personally I think Hyundai is introducing the Equus in the US for the same reason as VW did with the Passat, mostly out of ego and out of misguided (IMO) line of thinking that this will improve the Hyundai brand overall.

Shipbuilding is not considered a "high-tech" industry at all. It is a heavy/heavy labor industry. South Korea is only a small player in terms of weapons, and definitely a small player in terms of robotics. Japan remains a clear leader in robotics, and I believe the US is also ahead of South Korea in robotics.

have you sat in a genesis coupe? it's NICE.
Disagree IMO. The interior to me looks and feels cheap, and then there is the aluminum can exterior metal .

the new Lexus CT and HS are hardly luxurious. the CT is a less funky more comfy and better handling prius and the HS is, well, the HS. even the ES, which is a nice and quiet car, comfy and roomy, is basically like a FWD buick. not that luxurious to me, but i guess it's pretty much due for a new version right now. the IS is very plain inside really. but of course lexus needs these vehicles to be less reliant on the runaway best seller, the RX. i definitely prefer a 3 series or C class to an IS/ES, and a 5 series / E class to a GS. i do like the LS460L a lot though.
Strange that you would call the CT "hardly luxurious" yet you call the Genesis coupe "nice" and the new Sonata "impressive" .

The Sonata's quality leaves much to be desired. It's a gaudy and flashy design, but not much thought was put into it in terms of long-term quality.

We can only agree to disagree, but to me all Lexus models including the CT are luxurious. Even the HS despite its flaws is a luxurious vehicle (although not a successful one).

i disagree completely. things are changing.
There is nothing at all to indicate "things are changing" in my eyes. Most near-luxury or luxury pretender brands are struggling, and they absolutely fail to sell anything at higher price points (above 45-50K US today). It has been a cold hard fact for decades that in order to sell a high end luxury product, you need a luxury brand. This has been true in the US as well as in many other parts of the world for a very long time.

Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.

doesn't surprise me you'd like to keep thinking that way, but the genesis sedan is better in just about every way than a lexus es. some lexus es buyers of course will like the pampering of the lexus dealership vs. the cheesy hyundai dealerships, but this too can change.
The market does not agree with this, as the ES still easily outsells the Genesis sedan and coupe combined. This is despite the fact that the Genesis is a fairly new model, while the ES is dated with a redesigned model due very soon.

i wouldn't be surprised by that either. i think the equus was more aimed at their domestic market and they've brought it over to make some noise, knowing it's not ideal yet. to me the equus looks are a bit dated before it even comes out!
This seemingly contradicts what you said earlier about the Equus. Here you are basically implying that Hyundai brought the Equus to the US mostly for ego, and not much else.

sure, why not, such a strategy has been done many many times in many many industries.
This strategy has also failed many many times in many many industries. How many copycat companies have thrived and become successful while remaining as a copycat company? I'll answer that, almost none at all. Companies that initially were copycats that later went on to thrive and/or become successful did so by changing and INNOVATING. They stopped being copycats and started to become distinct. IMO I see no such attempts from Hyundai to become different or distinct. At the moment they continue to be copycats.

i struggle to even consider lexus in the same group as bmw and mercedes not because they're 'worse' but because they're just so different. and i'm losing track of what you mean by Tier 1 because the 3 series isn't very luxurious, it just drives wonderfully. the C class has some bling (especially the refresh coming) but is still just a nice driving small car. the ES on the other hand isn't much of a driver, but it's comfy, FWD, and like a buick. the IS is pretty plain and cramped, and has sporty aspirations but isn't quite there except w/ f-sport or IS-F boy race version of course.

on CL it's not surprising we want to group lexus in with those loooooong established german brands, but i don't think fans of those brands do the opposite much!

however, i think this is the key to lexus' success - they're DIFFERENT - generally better in some ways (service, refinement), worse in others (sportiness, handling, rigid option bundles).
Perhaps because you're focusing on specific models and not the brand as a whole. Despite the clear flaws on the 3 Series, it is a VERY successful model because of BRAND. The success of the 3 Series shows the power BMW's brand and reputation. Lexus models are almost all successful because of BRAND. Same thing with Mercedes, and Audi, well as a brand they are do not yet have a stellar reputation in the US. In Europe, Audi as a brand is certainly Tier 1.

The German fanboys will soon change their thinking, even if they don't like it. The LFA is a revolutionary product for Lexus and a sign of future things to come. BMW currently offers no answer for the LFA, only Benz and Audi currently have products that can even be compared to the LFA. The LFA offers almost infinite customization options and you can be sure future Lexus models will offer more customization. The CT for example offers quite a lot of customization.

lol. you know something else? the lexus owners would rather not be at the dealer AT ALL!
I'm sure a lot of people would beg to differ.

a ton of sonata owners would disagree with you.
The Sonata is not a luxury car, you said so yourself, so this comment is very puzzling. Also, I'm sure Hyundai themselves would disagree with you as they are currently offering crazy low lease deals on the Sonata. Not exactly an encouraging sign if you believe the hype that the new Sonata is so popular right now in the retail market.

The current azera starts at 25K and loaded is $32K.

This new azera is not oging otbe anywhere near $40K loaded - whoever said that. Thats how much a loaded gensis goes for. The azera fits between an sonata and a genesis.

This car crushes the ES and TL in my opinion. Its way nicer and far better looking in exterior and interior appeal and refinement. Plus for $32-33K loaded - its a BARGAIN. HP rating will be 285HP with 260torque with V6 engine.

its already going to blow the maxima, avalon, and Taurus. I have a feeling it will give the ES and TL a run for its money big time.

This is one GORGEOUS car in and out particularly in the black!
You can state all of this just from a few pictures and some paper specs? Do you know how the new Azera drives? What about interior quality? Durability? Long-term quality?

The ES (and TL) have PROVEN themselves in the market. They've been on the market for many years and have established good reputations (excluding the transmission problems on older TLs and the looks of the current TL). The ES has been a strong seller for a long time now, and has a great reputation with a great resale value.

The Azera for a few years now has been a sales failure. It has a reputation as a sales failure, and also as a completely forgettable car.

The ES and TL interior is a freakin joke compared to the new azera interior. Ill admit there is ACura'ish **** work but the styling is just sexy in this car.
Everyone has an opinion, and this is in YOUR opinion. Many (including myself) would disagree with you.

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Does anyone think this new design for the Azera is too "flashy" for the kind of clientele that buy barge-like sedans?

I mean, we're talking about 50+ (if not 60+) male buyers who think Buick is the shiznit.
Yes, this might be too flashy for older buyers. At the same time, it will be too expensive for many younger buyers to buy and own. Therefore, I expect this new model will struggle. Not to mention, it may eat into Genesis sales.

Originally Posted by AkzS5

Thats a hell of a bargain given superb styling, quality of materials used in the gorgeous interior, and standard and available features/technology.

Pitted against the Maxima, Taurus, TL, ES350, Avalon..... the Maxima and TL will outplay it in the performance/drive dynamics category only with their sport suspension. In most all other comparison areas with those and the rest of the competitors - they dont really stand a chance against this if one is objective and doesnt play the badge game.

Im 29 im seriously considering this vehicle when it launches, particularly at a $34K loaded.. Black/black will be killer combo.
You have NO IDEA this is true unless you're a Hyundai salesman/rep and have already driven this new Azera and the competition. If you haven't, then you're just posting unsubstantiated hype.

Originally Posted by AkzS5
My local dealer is collecting deposits on this already. Theres about 12 people signed up for this car. These guys are asking 2k over sticker, whatever the msrp happens to be. Thats ludicrous....

WOW never heard of a line for a hyundai vehicle before. I admit this is going to be an impressive and sexy car with a lot to offer.
I'm curious, why are there a bunch of fairly new members on CL who have almost every post about Hyundai?

Do you work for Hyundai? Are you a Hyundai PR rep/ghost blogger/part of guerilla marketing for Hyundai?

Why are you making so many Hyundai-related posts on a Lexus forum?

Quick Reply: Hyundai Gandeur/Azera (fifth generation)