Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai Gandeur/Azera (fifth generation)

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-11, 02:14 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm so much of a fan of the new Hyundai produces especially since they launched the Gen Coupe. Then I test drove one right after test driving a Ralliart turbo... the result, despite ralliart have 4WD, a much nicer interior (yes, even though it's lancer based...) the same block... the Ralliart pulls WAY harder even with 4 people on board and the salesman scrambling to upshift from shifter saying I can't take it high revs.... :/

The Gen coupe is much smaller than I thought, much cheaper interior, cramped (I came from a Eagle Talon/Mitsu Eclipse, so I know what a tight coupe is already ) and buttons at awkward places... It was a definitely no go for me...

Then recently I test drove both Sonata turbo and new Elantra, both are reflective of why they are cheaper than others and shows strength in some areas... When you see pictures, you'll think great, quality feeling is there... but no... Both cars' interior's pumped with cheap plastic, and painted cheap plastic, really a you get what you pay for...
Some areas you have little things that they seems to not notice or wants us to not notice... like rear folding seats, great, but they don't fold flat with trunk, and have rather large lock/unlock mechanism, making the pass though accessible only to things smaller than what you want to put in it... Though you can argue they have a large enough trunk that 99% of the time you don't need the fold down (The elantra have a cargo and passenger volume larger than a ES350 or god sakes lol )

Sonata turbo pulls freakingly hard, but without 4WD, it have to have its 1st gear limited with output, but torque steer's still there, after 1st gear though, all hell breaks loose, it felt faster than my 2GS4, heck BOTH Hyundai's ride's comfier than my GS, and noise, Soanta seems to have the GS beat, and the Elantra's comparable... I think I need to change all my seals... And rattles? what rattles? no problem of that in all 3 Hyundais (The ralliart have rattles on test drive, lol )

For what it's worth, I like it, quality for the price is there if not better than others, but it's little details that Hyundai seems to just fit in whatever ways possible not thinking of what the real world would be...

Oh a funny note, even though the ride's comfy and an old age back will feel fine, but entering is going to be a challenge of back breaking and head banging for them... Why? standing by the rear door, my friend sat in the back of the Elantra, I can't see his face due to the sloped roof and made a low entry... We're both normal Chinese height (read: short)

Still, if Sonata comes out with Turbo 4WD, I'd most likely see if I can switch the GS to it because despite the cheap interior, everything else is more than acceptable

Last edited by Solo_D33A; 01-02-11 at 02:31 PM.
Old 01-02-11, 03:38 PM
OceanView
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

On the internet everyone thinks their opinion is right.
People buy cars they want because it meets their purposes (price, styling, utility). Hyundais are selling regardless of what the haters think.

Why do some people compare Hyundais to Mercedes, BMW, Audi ?
I really don't think Hyundai is going after these markets yet.
So comparing the quality, fit and finish is unfair.
They are still competing with the Toyotas and Hondas for the most part and trying to capture the Acura, Infinity and Lexus markets.

As for Hyundai, you can't fault them for trying hard.
They have done well in the short time in the US market.
They made the Car and Driver top 10 this year which is a big deal regardless of what you think about them. Guess when was the last time you saw a Lexus in their list? 2000, yeah a decade ago, and don't tell me they are only picking cars that advertise with them, Please.
Old 01-02-11, 04:05 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Price, styling they are sure win, utility is high, and parts fitment is definitely not a problem I see for Hyundai, if they can change the materials to at least soft to touch instead of cold hard cheap looking plastic would be much better.

They are definitely on a roll, relatively high on MPG, Sonata makes 270+hp in I4 Turbo in Regular 87 fuel and I've seen much worse Corolla fit and finishes, and upper scale cars like IS rattles...

I've seen a lot of new Sonatas out and even saw a new Elantra about a month ago, but have yet to see a new Corolla on the street, only on transport trucks... To me, that's saying something.
Old 01-02-11, 07:10 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OceanView
On the internet everyone thinks their opinion is right.
People buy cars they want because it meets their purposes (price, styling, utility). Hyundais are selling regardless of what the haters think.

Why do some people compare Hyundais to Mercedes, BMW, Audi ?
I really don't think Hyundai is going after these markets yet.
So comparing the quality, fit and finish is unfair.
They are still competing with the Toyotas and Hondas for the most part and trying to capture the Acura, Infinity and Lexus markets.

As for Hyundai, you can't fault them for trying hard.
They have done well in the short time in the US market.
They made the Car and Driver top 10 this year which is a big deal regardless of what you think about them. Guess when was the last time you saw a Lexus in their list? 2000, yeah a decade ago, and don't tell me they are only picking cars that advertise with them, Please.
Why are people comparing Hyundai to luxury brands? Because Hyundai started these comparisons first, and we are criticizing Hyundai for even making such comparisons. I don't see that many here on CL or other forums comparing Hyundai to luxury brands at all, with the exception of Hyundai loyalists and Hyundai paid marketing people.

Hyundai is trying hard at being a copycat, and yes, people (including myself) certainly CAN fault them for being a copycat.
Old 01-02-11, 10:03 PM
OceanView
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Why are people comparing Hyundai to luxury brands? Because Hyundai started these comparisons first, and we are criticizing Hyundai for even making such comparisons. I don't see that many here on CL or other forums comparing Hyundai to luxury brands at all, with the exception of Hyundai loyalists and Hyundai paid marketing people.

Hyundai is trying hard at being a copycat, and yes, people (including myself) certainly CAN fault them for being a copycat.
I remember not to long ago people said that Lexus was copying Mercedes. How ironic.
Old 01-02-11, 10:13 PM
shawnlexus
Driver

saw a poo green genesis coupe the other day. I have to say they are a good looking car on the road. Too bad they will be ghetto in 4 years
Old 01-02-11, 10:37 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by OceanView
I remember not to long ago people said that Lexus was copying Mercedes. How ironic.
That was then, this is now. When Hyundai actually starts to innovate and makes an effort to be distinct and different, then we can talk about how much Hyundai has progressed. Lexus for years now has been an innovator and has differentiated itself from the competition in a number of ways, most recently with luxury hybrids.
Old 01-16-11, 10:45 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Default Next gen Hyundai Grandeur/Azera (fifth generation) - released in Korea

Launched for the Korean market with overseas markets to follow next year.

Anyways, it's here and is a quantum leap from the previous model

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjVAIKfycaY[/youtube]

Looks fantastic and indeed a quantum leap from the previous model. Superb job on this one, Hyundai

Old 01-16-11, 10:47 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Short promo video
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W7g-tCIDQc[/youtube]
Old 01-16-11, 10:49 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The haiyondie must die
Old 01-16-11, 11:20 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
The haiyondie must die
Heh I'm not sure what you mean by that but man, this car looks amazing!!!

Hot damn. That really looks fantastic.

In fact
It makes me wish that I was a super-duper rich billionaire so I can buy this vehicle. I really want it that bad

SO FREAKING BAD!!!
Old 01-16-11, 11:57 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Heh I'm not sure what you mean by that but man, this car looks amazing!!!

Hot damn. That really looks fantastic.

In fact
It makes me wish that I was a super-duper rich billionaire so I can buy this vehicle. I really want it that bad

SO FREAKING BAD!!!
Dude, you don't have to be rich to buy this car.
Old 01-16-11, 01:57 PM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

maybe in the Philippines you do...
Old 01-16-11, 02:49 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

this car will put the final nail in the coffin of the acura rl.
Old 01-16-11, 02:54 PM
OceanView
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
this car will put the final nail in the coffin of the acura rl.
Hope so, Acura's are ugly.

Quick Reply: Hyundai Gandeur/Azera (fifth generation)