Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai Gandeur/Azera (fifth generation)

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-11 | 03:24 PM
bolido
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Azera also has Hyundai new iDrive like Bluelink nav system.
Old 01-17-11 | 01:53 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Och
Dude, you don't have to be rich to buy this car.
Originally Posted by RXSF
maybe in the Philippines you do...
Somewhat like that........or at least upper middle class or above.

The current model sells here for 1,758,000 pesos (Azera GLS 3.3 A/T)

or 39,501.18 USD (@ 1 USD = 44.5050 PHP)

Using raw currency conversion
http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert.cgi?Am...3&image=Submit

So I'm guessing if they launch the new model in the country, it will be aimed at the Asian Camry and Accord crowd.

Anyways, this car looks fantastic indeed

Old 01-23-11 | 09:19 AM
vollandt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
There are 2 ways:

1. Start fresh with a new brand name. That involves building a whole new infrastructure around that new name.

2. Capitalize on the existing brand name. Hyundai is currently synonymous with cheap, albeit reliable cars.

In this economy, #2 makes more sense to Hyundai, and I agree.
All Hyundai they need to do is keep delivering good product as they have been over the past couple of years and the band image will have no trouble keeping up.
Old 01-23-11 | 09:37 AM
vollandt
Driver

Originally Posted by AkzS5
Leaked specs/details for the US version:

3.3L V6 unit with an output of 286 horsepower and 255 lb. ft of torque. Mated to a 6-speed automatic transmission. Thats the only powerplant.
Too bad we still have to wait for the Lambda GDI V6 and the 8 speed trans hyundai has on deck.

Also, I saw some references comparing the FWD azera to the RWD genesis - I didn't see mention of the usable passenger/cargo volume benefit that FWD cars have - given the same overall car volume, the drive train on a RWD car tends to take up more volume than a comparable FWD car. a) the trans on a rwd tends to poke into cabin forcing a large center console b) the drive shaft gives you that hump down the middle, so 3 passenger seating in the back seat isn't as practical. and c) the rear differentiable and suspension is going to eat some of the trunk space.

Last edited by vollandt; 01-23-11 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-12-11 | 02:20 PM
YEH
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ecr527
I always thought the Genesis was a replacement to the Azera, kinda like how the Genesis coupe replaced the Tiburon???
The Veloster replaces the Tiburon, not the GenCoupe.

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Between the Sonata, Genesis and Equus, I'm not quite sure where a new Azera would fit in TBH.

The Sonata has become a much more desirable car and the Genesis seems to be the logical choice for those looking for a step up. Adding another full size sedan would complicate things, IMO, unless they really do break the Genesis and Equus off into another brand.
Azera is an upscale, FWD "full-size" softer riding sedan while the Genesis ia luxury, RWD, "mid-size" sportier riding sedan - 2 completely diff. markets.

And since the Sonata no longer is available w/ a V6, some buyers want FWD and a V6.

The difference is that the Avalon is Toyota's flagship - the ES et al are obviously Lexus cars so they're branded and sold differently. As for the FWD vs RWD debate, I don't think many people know or care much when shopping in this class of car.

A new Azera just seems like too direct of competition for the Genesis if they're identically branded and sold on the same floor...and it's much better looking.
Aside from FWD vs. RWD (not to mention handling/ride), the Genesis will be at a higher pricepoint, which will only continue to rise.

The next gen Genesis sedan will probably start around the $35-37K range; a good bit higher if it launches under a separate brand.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Yeah but a loaded Azera will cross a Genesis V-6 and we know you can get a Genesis in the high 20s with discounts. I do believe the car will be fine as others have proven similar size sedans around the same price range can all succeed.
Hyundai dealerships don't carry many of the base 3.8 Genesis since there simply isn't a demand. The most popular package is the premium plus, followed by tech and then the premium package (which is only higher than the base).

Originally Posted by BNR34
I don't know if anyone pointed this out yet, if someone did already, I apologize.

It is not easy to see, but if you look into it, it is very clear.

Hyundai is directly copying the entire line of Toyota/Lexus, they just don't want to spend the money to create a separate premuim brand.

Same physical size, same features, same engine size, same power, same drive wheels, similar price.....etc

Accent = Yaris
Elantra = Corolla
Sonata = Camry
Azera = ES350
Genesis sedan = GS350/460
Equus = LS460L
Uhh aside from the Azera being more of an Avalon competitor than that for the ES, are you kidding me?

These are all well established segments and I seem to recall Toyota developing the LS and GS to compete in segments established by the Germans.

I guess the "3 Series" competitor that Hyundai is working on is really an IS competitor.

Does that mean Toyota is copying Hyundai since they are coming out w/ a (relatively) lower priced RWD sports coupe?
Old 02-12-11 | 02:55 PM
YEH
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Korean manufacturers so far have continued to struggle in the cell phone market, and have virtually no presence in laptop markets, just as examples. Other than TVs, LED and LCD arrays, and RAM, what other high-tech areas are Koreans dominating in? Certainly not in printers or cameras either, as those continue to be dominated by a few American brands and Japanese brands. Chip manufacturing and design in Asia is dominated primarily by Taiwan. Taiwan is also starting to make big gains in the smartphone market.
Aside from being a leading cell/smart phone manufacturer as already stated, other areas include, shipbuilding, large scale construction and appliances (which are increasingly filled w/ tech) such as refrigerators and washers/dryers.

Also, Samsung and LG have a decent chunk of the laptop market - they just don't have as large a presence in the US as they do in Europe.

Yes, Hyundai MUST have a separate luxury brand to be taken seriously in the luxury segment. The Genesis sedan is more near-luxury, and competes with the lower end "near luxury" brands like Volvo, Lincoln, Acura, etc. Hyundai's extremely low sales expectations for the Equus in the US is basically an admittal from Hyundai themselves that they know the Equus won't sell branded as a Hyundai. Months from now I'm sure we will all be discussing how low Equus sales are.
At this juncture, it doesn't make sense to launch a premium brand/dealer network.

The luxury auto market hasn't totally recovered and Hyundai has better use of its investment capital expanding its production and sales in the fast growing BRIC markets.

Also, Hyundai would have to heavily subsidize the new dealer network like the Big 3 Japanese makes did before them which they aren't willing to do, preferring, instead, to wait until they have a fuller lineup ready, consisting of higher volume models (RWD/AWD compact sedan, at least 1 CUV).

Yeah, they would have to launch a premium brand to be taken more seriously but I think they are quite fine w/ their situation right now, esp. considering the Genesis and Equus sedan probably outsold the GS and LS for the month of January.

Agreed. Not only are they trying to copy Toyota, but they are being quite brash about it and it's almost as if they're proud of it.
So they are making dull looking/soft riding cars w/ nonexistant steering feedback? (The general consensus of the auto enthusiasts crowd.)

I'm not saying that Hyundai can't someday be comfortable in the same company as Lexus and Mercedes, but that is a far ways off. Could they build cars as good as the ES or GS? Sure. Does that make them a Tier 1 company?
It can make them a tier 1 company, but not a Tier 1 brand.

Do you know one of the most cross-shopped cars with the ES 350? The Camry XLE V6. Most of the car buying public actually knows that they're the exact same car, and every month, about five thousand people are willing to spend another $8K to get their foot in the door at Lexus because it looks and feels and seems like it's worth it. Those people are sick of sharing the waiting room with the Yaris owner, picking his nose and jamming to his iPod, or the Sienna mom with all of her crying kids.
Funny, a lot of people have argued the opposite.

And granted, I don't know how much credibility that one study (which stated the majority of 3 Series owners think it is FWD) has, but I would think these type of owners (who buy for the badge 1st and foremost) don't know too much about cars or the auto industry.

There's a reason why Toyota created Lexus, Nissan came up with Infiniti, and Honda formed Acura. Similarly, there's a reason why VW never made it upmarket in the States. Whether it's right or wrong, Americans have shown time and time again that they would rather buy premium cars from a company that builds only premium cars. Look at any of the sales threads - it's obvious.
Otoh, the Genesis sedan beats the GS and M in sales (and that's w/o the benefit of AWD).

Methinks to devalue the factor of pricing (which is one big reason why the Phaeton bombed).

When the LS400 was launched, Lexus had no brand cache (as did Infiniti or Acura a little earlier), but took sales on its excellent reviews, service and incredible price.

The Lexus of today has a lot more brand cache than the Lexus of the early 1990s, but sales of the LS are fraction of what they used to be (namely due to the hefty increase in price since then).

I think it's a lot easier/different to start at the top and move down market than it is to start at the bottom and go up. Lexus, MB and BMW already have the respect and recognition that they need and deserve - they're proven. It doesn't really matter if you sell a CT or B class because the public already acknowledges the LS, LX, LFA, 7, X5, S, SL, SLS as halo cars and benchmarks. Granted, $30,000 is still a decent amount of money but I don't think the big 3 should venture much below that price point.
BMW didn't really start at the top. Putting aside that the lowly Isetta saved the company from financial ruin, it was the 2002 which made their reputation in the US, but still, it took some time before they were seen as a viable Mercedes competitor.

Lexus, w/ the LS, did pretty much start at the top, but even they had to develop the LFA since all their competitors were coming out w/ supercars.

But this debate is kinda silly since Hyundai is a mainstream and not a luxury brand.

Hyundai is known for building cheap econoboxes, luxury cars are foreign territory for them. Mercedes is the international standard for luxury, not econoboxes.
More so in the US; it's not like Hyundai didn't already have 10+ years w/ the 1st gen Equus - plus, it's not like Toyota's 1st foray into luxury autos was w/ the LS400/Celsior.

Also, Mercedes in Europe is not nearly seen w/ the same gloss of luxury as it is here, being more of a full-line manufacturer w/ the E Class being the go-to taxi model and Mercedes truck/commercial line being quite popular as well.
Old 02-14-11 | 12:27 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by YEH
Aside from being a leading cell/smart phone manufacturer as already stated, other areas include, shipbuilding, large scale construction and appliances (which are increasingly filled w/ tech) such as refrigerators and washers/dryers.

Also, Samsung and LG have a decent chunk of the laptop market - they just don't have as large a presence in the US as they do in Europe.
It seems our opinions differ on what a "decent chunk" means in terms of market share. Samsung and LG are very small players in the laptop market according to those in the laptop industry itself, and according to market share statistics.

Again as stated, shipbuilding and construction are NOT high-tech industries.

Originally Posted by YEH
At this juncture, it doesn't make sense to launch a premium brand/dealer network.

The luxury auto market hasn't totally recovered and Hyundai has better use of its investment capital expanding its production and sales in the fast growing BRIC markets.

Also, Hyundai would have to heavily subsidize the new dealer network like the Big 3 Japanese makes did before them which they aren't willing to do, preferring, instead, to wait until they have a fuller lineup ready, consisting of higher volume models (RWD/AWD compact sedan, at least 1 CUV).

Yeah, they would have to launch a premium brand to be taken more seriously but I think they are quite fine w/ their situation right now, esp. considering the Genesis and Equus sedan probably outsold the GS and LS for the month of January.
Maybe it doesn't make financial sense at the moment, but if Hyundai wants to be taken seriously, it makes total sense from a brand standpoint. Hyundai can continue to be arrogant and not create a separate brand, and I am very confident they will not get very far with their "luxury" models as long as they are under the Hyundai brand.

The Equus "probably" outsold the LS in January? Huh? We have exact sales figures for the Equus and LS. Are you just making up arbitrary conclusions? The LS easily outsold the Equus for the month. Look it up in the January sales thread. As for the Genesis sedan, we don't know because Hyundai doesn't split coupe and sedan sales. We have no concrete data on that.

Originally Posted by YEH
Lexus, w/ the LS, did pretty much start at the top, but even they had to develop the LFA since all their competitors were coming out w/ supercars.

But this debate is kinda silly since Hyundai is a mainstream and not a luxury brand.
Wrong. "All their competitors" were NOT coming out with supercars, nor are they currently.

The Benz SLS is not really a true supercar, more of a super sports car. The Audi R8 arguably is not a "supercar" either, but a super sports car. Even if you consider both as supercars, BMW has NO supercar currently and is lagging behind.

Yes, Hyundai is a mainstream brand, you agree with that. That is why Hyundai will fail with their luxury models in North America as long as they are part of the mainstream Hyundai brand.
Old 06-10-11 | 09:22 AM
akbergq
Lead Lap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVP6OZr8pLY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GPf_...eature=related
Old 06-10-11 | 11:16 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Hyundai is doing some really BIG things. They are storming the market with some really impressive products. I am still waiting for the Japanese to respond because so far the Hyundai products are equally appealing or even more appealing in many cases than the stuff from Toyota , Honda, and Nissan
Old 06-10-11 | 11:21 AM
OceanView
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Hyundai is doing some really BIG things. They are storming the market with some really impressive products. I am still waiting for the Japanese to respond because so far the Hyundai products are equally appealing or even more appealing in many cases than the stuff from Toyota , Honda, and Nissan
Agreed.
Competition is good for all of us.
Old 06-10-11 | 11:36 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Damn, this car looks beautiful. It's like a Korean art sculpture on wheels
Old 06-10-11 | 12:00 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Great looking car
Old 06-10-11 | 12:08 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by OceanView
Agreed.
Competition is good for all of us.
I think its great for the consumer. Bottom line is that as much as I love my Japanese cars they are not the bulletproof vehicles of the past. They are still the lesser of all evils but I think their products are not as well built as before or as exciting as they once were ( mid size sedan and even compact class)
Old 06-10-11 | 01:59 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow. Looks like a bigger, sleeker, meaner Sonata. Didn't expect to like it, but I do.
Old 11-16-11 | 09:02 PM
Hoovey689

Received 129 Likes on 85 Posts
Default 2012 Hyundai Azera goes Fluidic, gets direct injection power

2012 Hyundai Azera goes Fluidic, gets direct injection power

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2012-...photo-4614745/

The 2006 Azera was the first shot that Hyundai took at going upmarket, a big, soft, front-wheel-drive sedan packed with content and offered at a bargain price compared to the Toyota Avalon and Buick LaCrosse. But today, this Korean import seems more like it comes from the Island of Misfit Toys. Azera has quietly persisted while Hyundai has launched several well-received models, from the Genesis to the 2011 Sonata to the brand-new Veloster. Now comes the Azera's 15 minutes of fame, in the form of a complete overhaul for 2012 designed to make the Azera more of a premium offering.

The new Azera adopts Hyundai's Fluidic Sculpture design language that we've loved on the Sonata, but in this application something went amiss. Everything looks good up front, as the Azera's Fluidic front fascia looks similarly aggressive. But follow the attractive chrome trim strip back from the headlights and something goes bump in the night. The Azera's rear quarter panel retains a bulging character line similar to the old model, except that in the new sheet metal the flanks are even more pronounced – and Buick-like. Things get better out back, as the new Azera has an elegant decklid and rear taillights that wouldn't look out of place on any luxury car.

Underhood, the second-generation Azera gets a new 3.3-liter V6 with direct injection. This "Lambda II" powerplant is good for 293 horsepower and 255 lb-ft of torque, while providing an estimated 20 miles per gallon in the city and 29 on the highway. Hyundai has also fitted the new Azera with its Active Eco mode, which should be good for a five-percent boost in fuel economy, according to the automaker. Like the old Azera, power is fed to the front wheels through a six-speed transaxle.

Standard Azera equipment includes some formerly optional content, like a navigation system with rearview camera, and Hyundai is also equipping Azeras with its Blue Link telematics system. Leather interior with heated front and rear seats, 18-inch alloys, and Vehicle Stability Management are all included, as well.

The 2012 Azera goes on sale in February, and while we will admit to being more excited about some of Hyundai's other launches next year (that's you, Elantra coupe) we're certainly not going to complain when we get our opportunity to chew up some comfortable highway miles, Azera style.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/11/16/2...azera-la-2011/

Quick Reply: Hyundai Gandeur/Azera (fifth generation)