Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai Gandeur/Azera (fifth generation)

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-11, 11:06 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Alucard
Your prior comments about Hyundai are irrelevant as it's your confrontational attitude that is really the subject matter.

Like I said, I enjoy coming to clublexus because I see it as a well-informed source for all my car news. The negativity shown in Hyundai posts I find dissapointing. The comment of "fake ES" is nothing but argumentitive.

I don't want to argue. I respect your position/influence here at clublexus and what you do for the community of Lexus fans. I'd just prefer clublexus (especially carchat) to keep being the positive place it has been for fans of all cars.
I can say your 270 or so posts here are irrelevant. Your attitude is the one that is confrontational, again I commented on the CAR and you are commenting on ME. Again what is disappointing is only pointing out and observing the negative comments toward Hyundai and then glossing over positive ones. That is sadly a childish attitude and I can't imagine operating in "real life" with that thought process. Selective reading I guess inflicts many people.

There is an internet rule of thumb, if its posted and there is a picture of it don't just expect positive comments, you better welcome the negative ones too. CarChat (which I damn near built) is a success b/c its not just a place for everyone to give high-fives and cheer everything. Lexus for example is beat up constantly in car chat.

I tire of Hyundai marketing team posting all over car forums shoving the brand down everyones throat and then getting upset that someone doesn't like what they like! How can one function in the real world with that attitude? Did they really think EVERYONE was going to just fall over and love a Hyundai, a brand that for most of its history has built utter crap?

The bottom line is;
1. Hyundai's improvement is fantastic and they are smart copying Toyota/Lexus.
2. I like the previous Azera which means I should be crazy.
3. This new one is an improvement which is great but IMO (IN MY OPINION) it is another fake Lexus.

Old 11-17-11, 11:52 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

If priced right near ES 350, give me a ES 350 please. Interior does not appeal to me.
Old 11-17-11, 03:16 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seriously, I think Hyundai would be thrilled to be called a fake Lexus. But, man, all those pic clips could be taken from numerous other cars, not just the ES or Azera.
Old 11-17-11, 04:49 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Does anyone think this new design for the Azera is too "flashy" for the kind of clientele that buy barge-like sedans?

I mean, we're talking about 50+ (if not 60+) male buyers who think Buick is the shiznit. The Cadillac DTS is as flashy as it gets, and we're talking about a 275hp 4-speed V8...
A great question. Yes it's flashy. But rather than alienate older customers, I think it will bring in younger customers. That's a good market to be into anyway, so I think Hyundai will be covered well here.
Old 11-17-11, 05:03 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

The pics of the similar ES body parts is very well done and thought out. However, many of today's new cars have those same corners and parts. They are common industry details and to pick on Hyundai for using them I think is a bit unfair. Hyundai has other greater copying issues, as many of us here have noted over the years.

Speaking of copying, there are also similarities between this and the last Buick Century rear end and rear side flanks. As mentioned before, the rear styling of the new Azera is its weakest link.
Old 11-17-11, 05:11 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The pics of the similar ES body parts is very well done and thought out. However, many of today's new cars have those same corners and parts. They are common industry details and to pick on Hyundai for using them I think is a bit unfair. Hyundai has other greater copying issues, as many of us here have noted over the years.

Speaking of copying, there are also similarities between this and the last Buick Century rear end and rear side flanks. As mentioned before, the rear styling of the new Azera is its weakest link.
I think it's quite obvious that Hyundai is "inspired" by Lexus with their higher end cars as evidence by the Equus and Genesis designs. That "inspiration" is what we see in the Azera as well, those design details are not similar by coincidence.
Old 02-14-12, 11:04 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Post $32k

We've gotten word from our man on location driving the new 2012 Hyundai Azera that the Korean automaker's fully redesigned full-size front-wheel-drive sedan will start at $32,000, not including $875 in destination charges, when it goes on sale this spring. The only option available will be a $4,000 Tech package. We're not certain yet what all will be included in the Tech package since items like touch-screen navigation and a back-up camera will be standard equipment on the 2012 Azera, but we're looking into it.

Hyundai is asking an awful lot more for its new Azera compared to the one it replaces, which carried a base MSRP of just $25,495. We'll have our 1st Drive report on the 2012 Hyundai Azera ready soon to let you know if the price jump is justified.

We likewise have pricing information to report for the refreshed 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe, which will start at $24,250, again not including $875 in destination charges. That's for the 4-cylinder 2.0t model with a manual transmission, while the upper bound on pricing is represented by the 3.8-liter V6-powered Track model with the new 8-speed automatic transmission that costs $34,250.

Lastly, while rumors had resurfaced again that Hyundai was considering creating a luxury sub-brand called Genesis that would sell both the sedan and coupe along with the larger Equus, Hyundai Motor America CEO John Krafcik has told Autoblog, "There is no plan to create Genesis sub brand." He did, however, indicate that the next-generation Genesis sedan should have all-wheel drive as an option.
Old 02-14-12, 11:30 AM
LexFather

Seems nice but price seems high and I hope it doesn't suffer the fate of the Veracruz...I assume this fights Avalon/LaCrosse and other premium cars from non luxury brands mostly and some premium brands.

Loaded Gen Coupe pricing has risen substantially too though it is better equipped.

Will be interesting to see what happens. Jeez car prices are getting nuts

Old 02-14-12, 12:34 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yowza! I wasn't expecting it to base that high. Hyundai is starting to crowd at the higher end of the market, what with the Genesis, Equus, and now this Azera.

I know it's primary competitors are Maxima, Avalon, and the odd domestic which all start at similar points but unless there is a lot of standard content I don't see anyone driving off with an Azera for under 35k.
Old 02-14-12, 12:48 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Seems nice but price seems high and I hope it doesn't suffer the fate of the Veracruz...I assume this fights Avalon/LaCrosse and other premium cars from non luxury brands mostly and some premium brands.

Loaded Gen Coupe pricing has risen substantially too though it is better equipped.

Will be interesting to see what happens. Jeez car prices are getting nuts
It will be interesting to see who they market the Azera against. As you mentioned, remember when the Veracruz was heavily advertised vs. the RX350. At $32-$36k I wouldn't be surprised if they target the ES350. Remember when the LaCrosse was launched.
Old 02-14-12, 01:47 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

that's REALLY good looking.
as for the price... we ain't seen nothing yet (with the size of the deficits, prices will skyrocket in the next few years)
Old 02-14-12, 01:48 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Its amazing how people hate the Lexus ES and bash it to no end yet every other car company seems to go after and make their own fake ES. Which this now is, a fake ES. Which will please people that like fakes and fluff.

Its another Hyundai that breaks no new ground. It breaks new ground for THEM but its another ho-hum effort.

Bwhahahahaha, dude thats why I love you.
Old 02-14-12, 01:55 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
It will be interesting to see who they market the Azera against. As you mentioned, remember when the Veracruz was heavily advertised vs. the RX350. At $32-$36k I wouldn't be surprised if they target the ES350. Remember when the LaCrosse was launched.
Yup this new Azera is aim directly at the ES350 with a 10% discount.

Just like the Genesis sedan was aimed directly at the Lexus GS with a 10%~20% discount.

This is how Lexus did it 20 years ago and still doing it with Mercedes Benz.
Old 02-14-12, 01:59 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
that's REALLY good looking.
Yes just from looking at picture, this Azera is better looking then the current ES350.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
as for the price... we ain't seen nothing yet (with the size of the deficits, prices will skyrocket in the next few years)
[/COLOR][/FONT]
Yes as soon as people accepted the idea of Hyundai making great luxury cars, their pricing will be very close to Lexus. As seen by the Sonata and Optima having the same price as Camry and Accord today.
Old 02-14-12, 02:42 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

wow @ prices. A bit high for me...

Quick Reply: Hyundai Gandeur/Azera (fifth generation)