Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai Gandeur/Azera (fifth generation)

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-12, 10:01 PM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

certainly much better personality than the avalon or anything american. However, that is one small nav screen
Old 02-27-12, 10:26 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I think if you can get a decently equipped version for around 30k then I think many will be leaving their V6 Accords and Mazdas. In a segment where the styling leaves a lot to be desired this car will stick out
Old 02-28-12, 04:30 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I think if you can get a decently equipped version for around 30k then I think many will be leaving their V6 Accords and Mazdas. In a segment where the styling leaves a lot to be desired this car will stick out
I've been waiting patiently for the new Accord sedan design. With this kind of competition, I hope Honda sees that they really need to hit this thing out of the ball park, however, I don't see it happening. Honda just doesn't seem to care anymore.
Old 02-28-12, 07:27 AM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hyundai did a pretty good job on this. They should have kept the 3.8 as some reviews complained about lack of low end torque which is understandable since its such a tiny engine. I'm not exactly sure how it compares to the Avalon or ES or Lacrosse in real life but style and feature wise it's surely at or near the top.
Old 02-28-12, 09:47 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

I love this car. Very, very, elegant. I particularly like the LED ambient lighting in the doors and dash. Awesome!

Old 03-02-12, 03:46 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

The Azera is still not a match for the Lexus ES350. To be sure, the Azera is competitive with the “Big Four” full-size sedans mentioned above. But a loaded Azera, at $36,825, is only $775 less than the base price of a Lexus ES350. Hyundai can compare this car to the Taurus and Lacrosse as much as they want, but the public at large, looking superficially at the pricing structure (base price is $32,825, including destination. The Technology package, the car’s sole option, commands a $4,000 premium), and Hyundai’s newly minted premium image, will inevitably compare this car to the big front-drive Lexus.

When they do, they are going to be disappointed. The Lexus cabin is as quiet as Yankee Stadium was when Lou Gherig gave his final address. At 80 mph, the Azera lets in a staggering amount of wind noise, and dropping down to the double nickel only remedies this slightly. The Azera’s wind noise issue left the biggest impression on me, overshadowing all of the car’s other attributes – not a good sign in a segment that privileges isolation from the road above almost everything else. The interior, while more modern looking than the Lexus, isn’t a match for the ES350’s cabin, which is a superlative experience, “rebadged Camry” comments be damned. The quality of the Azera’s materials still feels a grade below the Lexus – eyeing the slightly wonky fit of one interior panel, my driving partner noted that when it comes to the ES “this is what you don’t get with t.hat extra few grand you spend”
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...hyundai-azera/
Old 03-02-12, 10:23 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

<ridiculous review

Hyundai doesn't say it competes with lexus es, only this and apparently other journalists in vegas.

And comparing fully loaded price to near base (read, stripped and can't get anyway) es is flat stupid.

Old 03-03-12, 02:57 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
<ridiculous review

Hyundai doesn't say it competes with lexus es, only this and apparently other journalists in vegas.

And comparing fully loaded price to near base (read, stripped and can't get anyway) es is flat stupid.

hyundai itself markets their cars against lexus... it happened with veracruz, it happened with genesis, it happened with equus... it will happen with azera.
Old 03-03-12, 06:27 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Let's just forget the whole Azera vs. ES - Hyundai vs. Lexus thing for a moment. All that is just distracting from the true point anyway and causing people to react to things on an emotional level. Let's talk about the car on its own merits. It is an attractive alternative from Asia to what is out there and Hyundai does have a growing market share... this car will probably find a lot of garages to live in.

I've seen this car live and it looks good and the interior is handsome, if a bit off in some of the materials. But when a review talks about wind noise in a car at this price I see a problem and it has nothing to do with Lexus as a reference point. A car like this just shouldn't have that annoyance. Basic things like that are an issue.
Old 03-03-12, 08:00 AM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
hyundai itself markets their cars against lexus... it happened with veracruz, it happened with genesis, it happened with equus... it will happen with azera.
The Veracruz flopped because it was a very anonymous car that really didn't outdo the competiton nor had leading powertrains or features. but I see nothing wrong with the Genesis and Equus. Genesis sales have been on the rise since its debut and Equus sales far exceeded expectation so wouldn't call them a fail yet. Lets not forget how hard GS sales nosedived after the 3rd year. It seems to early to tell if you ask me.
Old 03-03-12, 09:30 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Sales of Veracruz aren't that great globally though (which for me is unfortunate because I like Veracruz more than the Santa Fe)

Btw spwolf, did they start selling the ix55 (name for Veracruz in Europe) already? At least where you're from? (I assume there is Hyundai in Croatia)

Anyways, you knows it's funny cause even if Veracruz sales are low, I actually considered the Veracruz to be the first Korean car that I considered as world-class. The Veracruz was the first Korean vehicle that made me start to really like Korean cars.

Anyways, the Azera looks nice. I wish I have money to buy one
Old 03-04-12, 05:31 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
<ridiculous review

Ridiculous b/c they make good points in Lexus favor? I mean look at the car its like an ES, aimed at the ES, sized like the ES etc etc but in Hyundai's flavor. Its a big market and they want their piece. There is nothing ridiculous in noting how superior the ES is in some aspects.

Originally Posted by Lexuslvr91
The Veracruz flopped because it was a very anonymous car that really didn't outdo the competiton nor had leading powertrains or features. but I see nothing wrong with the Genesis and Equus. Genesis sales have been on the rise since its debut and Equus sales far exceeded expectation so wouldn't call them a fail yet. Lets not forget how hard GS sales nosedived after the 3rd year. It seems to early to tell if you ask me.
What does the GS have to do with this? You want me to post up Hyundai sales in the 80s or 90s? Talk about nosediving. Some of you find hard work posted in regards to sales threads then spin and use the data to crap on the car. Why not mention other cars that have nosedived? Hyundai marketing.

Old 03-04-12, 06:37 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

The Azera is absolutely Hyundai's attempt to build an ES fighter. Pretty clear to me. In the imitation is the sincerest form of flattery
Old 03-04-12, 08:53 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Ridiculous b/c they make good points in Lexus favor?
not at all, the points are legitimate. ridiculous comparing a fully loaded car which will have TONS more features than an unavailable base ES but which we all know has a higher quality materials interior.

I mean look at the car its like an ES, aimed at the ES, sized like the ES etc etc but in Hyundai's flavor.
i simply disagree. lots of ES sized cars. regardless, it's not going to eat into ES sales. if anything, it's more aimed at avalon, although that's due for new model which will up the ante again.

also, the azera is strongly targeted to their DOMESTIC market (s.korea).

There is nothing ridiculous in noting how superior the ES is in some aspects.
there is if the cars don't compete. i don't see them comparing an azera to A6, another fwd luxo car either.

again, my comments are not to disparage the ES so don't take it that way.
Old 03-05-12, 03:09 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Sales of Veracruz aren't that great globally though (which for me is unfortunate because I like Veracruz more than the Santa Fe)

Btw spwolf, did they start selling the ix55 (name for Veracruz in Europe) already? At least where you're from? (I assume there is Hyundai in Croatia)

Anyways, you knows it's funny cause even if Veracruz sales are low, I actually considered the Veracruz to be the first Korean car that I considered as world-class. The Veracruz was the first Korean vehicle that made me start to really like Korean cars.

Anyways, the Azera looks nice. I wish I have money to buy one
yes... it is very expensive though and you dont see many of them on the road.

here they sell i10 and i30 the best, as they were cheapest car on the market by far. Now i40 comes out with premium price and i dont know how well will it sell, if at all. It is nice, but you can get base Passat for cheaper.

Quick Reply: Hyundai Gandeur/Azera (fifth generation)