Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai Gandeur/Azera (fifth generation)

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-12, 04:40 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

How things change, fast?

Month ago, this was considered ES/Avalon killer by many here (just look at the start of the thread).

And month later, IMHO, it looks like elantra interior while competition:

It is tough business auto business. Hyundai should have introduced Azera last year when it was out in Korea.
Old 04-07-12, 06:13 AM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
lol at anyone brining up the ES vs Azera after seeing the new ES

Hyundai Marketing posting in Hyundai threads. Still clever

You do realize Hyundai offers the "trade in a Hyundai for a Hyundai guaranteed Trade In value" gimmick. Of course that will spur loyalty. No one else offers that. Its Apples to Oranges.

Who said that? I didn't realize we all had to only praise them and not post concerns or dissenting opinions. Also what about the tons of posts commending them, why are those ignored?

Here yall go

http://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/

It seems some people are upset that not everyone is on their knees bowing to Hyundai/Kia at every given turn and thread.

Fluff.
You know I wish I did work for them...
Old 04-07-12, 06:15 AM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
How things change, fast?

Month ago, this was considered ES/Avalon killer by many here (just look at the start of the thread).

It is tough business auto business. Hyundai should have introduced Azera last year when it was out in Korea.
Fits in properly to me.
Old 04-07-12, 07:16 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Much better picture of an Azera interior.

These professional photos can be deceiving since the lighting, angles etc. are just right to enhance things. The real test is how the car looks in real life and out on the street.

In all of the professional pics of the new ES350 it looks striking in all of them. Some of the amatuer shots make it look less so. Need to see things in person.
Old 04-07-12, 07:53 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

all are Hyundai press shots, not amateur shots... here you go another one.

there is nowhere the amount of leather or wood, mostly plastics everywhere... with design same as in Elantra.
Old 04-07-12, 07:55 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

and center stack

Old 04-07-12, 08:49 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Azera's interior is Hyundai design in the same vein as previous generation Lexus interiors. Similar style of swaths of formed soft touch plastic on the dash and a waterfall center stack. You will notice that the silver detailing above the Azera's navi screen is straight off of a 2006 GS.

Hyundai Gandeur/Azera (fifth generation)-lqu4m.jpg
Hyundai Gandeur/Azera (fifth generation)-tajvf.jpg
Hyundai Gandeur/Azera (fifth generation)-qz7re.jpg
Old 04-07-12, 10:41 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
How things change, fast?

honestly still don't agree with you. the avalon may have nice materials, but i don't think it's elegant (except center shifter area) - on the dash it looks like the big plastic thing is 'hung' on the rest of it... very strange and unnecessarily busy, plus i think the steering wheel is fugly.

the ES on the other hand, looks awesome, but again, i don't think the avalon competes with it at all.

what car is this?
Old 04-07-12, 11:17 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Azera's interior is Hyundai design in the same vein as previous generation Lexus interiors. Similar style of swaths of formed soft touch plastic on the dash and a waterfall center stack. You will notice that the silver detailing above the Azera's navi screen is straight off of a 2006 GS.
Where do you see any similarities between any of the interior picks you posted?
Old 04-07-12, 11:35 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by T0ked
Where do you see any similarities between any of the interior picks you posted?
I am not saying that they're visually similar, instead both use a similar style of interior design.
Old 04-07-12, 11:41 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
I am not saying that they're visually similar, instead both use a similar style of interior design.
I don't see it at all.
Old 04-07-12, 11:55 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Me neither. Is it just me or does it seem as if there is extra effort here to discredit Hyundai? I mean, the Azera isn't perfect but I see no reason to go out of the way to poo-poo it.
Old 04-07-12, 12:18 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by speedflex
Me neither. Is it just me or does it seem as if there is extra effort here to discredit Hyundai? I mean, the Azera isn't perfect but I see no reason to go out of the way to poo-poo it.
I feel the same way. I understand some here have a hatred for certain makes and will have nothing positive to say about them. But the interior comparison is really pulling at strings. How many vehicles have a waterfall center stack design? I think a majority. Those interiors look completely different to me with no similarities what so ever.

From what some have said, my 2011 Tucson should be getting horrid mileage, and be falling apart from being rushed to market. Neither has happened so far, actually far from it. Everyone I know with a newer Hyundai have all been trouble free.

This Azera looks great inside and out, a very original design and will pose a good competition in the market. Does it outclass the new Avalon? no, but it doesn't mean it won't give it a run for the money.
Old 04-08-12, 09:32 AM
03 ES
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I think they did a great job with the exterior and with the motor. I think they fell short in the interior department. How are they going to compete against the new ES ( or even the old ES) with that lack of luxury and wood. The interior is not bad, but its simply not up to the standards of the car that it may be trying to compete against.

As far as the exterior I think the lines are modern and fresh while still retaining the Hyundai new design language. The motor is pretty impressive. 3.3 liter DI with 293 HP. I like Hyundai more and more as the years go by. They are redeeming themselves in the eyes of many consumers and the reviews are generally nothing but positive. I always tell people that Hyundai is the new Honda
Couldent say it better. Its a great looking car inside and out but it lacks the little luxuries that the ES has. The interior just doesnt have the flair that i love about the ES interior.
That said, i think this will be a great car for what it is.
Old 04-08-12, 11:10 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by T0ked
I feel the same way. I understand some here have a hatred for certain makes and will have nothing positive to say about them. But the interior comparison is really pulling at strings. How many vehicles have a waterfall center stack design? I think a majority. Those interiors look completely different to me with no similarities what so ever.
I never said the interiors are the same, just that they use a similar style. That style seems to be going out of date, in favor of a more BMW/German/European look, which is partly why the Azera's interior seems a bit aged compared to newer cars like the ES, Impala, and Avalon - at least from photos.

Hyundai Gandeur/Azera (fifth generation)-aaevh.jpg
Hyundai Gandeur/Azera (fifth generation)-wi3xw.jpg
Hyundai Gandeur/Azera (fifth generation)-iolqg.jpg

Again note that I am not saying the designs are similar, so don't go looking for aesthetic similarities. You can have a similar style of designing an interior, but use it to design many different designs, which is what Toyota/Lexus did for half a decade.

Quick Reply: Hyundai Gandeur/Azera (fifth generation)