Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai Gandeur/Azera (fifth generation)

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-10, 04:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Between the Sonata, Genesis and Equus, I'm not quite sure where a new Azera would fit in TBH.
Simple. The Sonata and Azera are both FWD, and the Genesis is RWD. That is important for people in bad-weather areas that want (or need) the extra traction. I was car-shopping just recently with someone, for example, who completely ruled out a Genesis because of its RWD...he went out to look at an Azera instead.

In fact, IMO, the Genesis would probably have greater appeal if it offered an AWD option....something that the present verson doesn't. An AWD option, in the future, is going to become more and more of something that customers expect on upscale sedans
Old 11-28-10, 04:48 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's another sharp looking car coming out of Hyundai. I guess it makes sense for them to keep a FWD car, kinda like how Lexus has the ES.
Old 11-28-10, 06:07 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, the Azera sits in with an established class that the Sonata and Genesis don't compete in. This class includes...

-Avalon
-Lacrosse
-Taurus
-Maxima
-TSX (?)

All these companies compete at that level as well as right below and right above.

Why can't Hyundai?
Old 11-28-10, 06:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
Yes, the Azera sits in with an established class that the Sonata and Genesis don't compete in. This class includes...

-Avalon
-Lacrosse
-Taurus
-Maxima
-TSX (?)
Just a slight technicality, but I'd include the Buick Lucerne and FWD Chevolet Impala on that list. The LaCrosse and Taurus, of course, also have the advantage of the AWD option that all U.S.-market Hyundai sedans lack.
Old 11-28-10, 06:26 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by akbergq
Very similar to the 2011 Elantra

Old 11-28-10, 07:35 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Reminds me of the camry grille

Old 11-28-10, 09:30 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

The difference is that the Avalon is Toyota's flagship - the ES et al are obviously Lexus cars so they're branded and sold differently. As for the FWD vs RWD debate, I don't think many people know or care much when shopping in this class of car.

A new Azera just seems like too direct of competition for the Genesis if they're identically branded and sold on the same floor...and it's much better looking.
Old 11-28-10, 09:57 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

A new Azera just seems like too direct of competition for the Genesis if they're identically branded and sold on the same floor...and it's much better looking.
I think the Azera fits in nicely for those who were interested in the Sonata but want a V6 and a little more interior space. The Genesis is a completely different car that competes in a different segment. Some buyers will undoubtedly cross-shop the two vehicles simply because they are both in the same showroom, but it's like saying people interested in a GS will cross-shop it with an Avalon - probably doesn't happen alot.
Old 11-29-10, 06:05 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

The difference is that the Avalon is Toyota's flagship - the ES et al are obviously Lexus cars so they're branded and sold differently. As for the FWD vs RWD debate, I don't think many people know or care much when shopping in this class of car.

The Azera starts at $25K, the Genesis starts at $33K. That's a pretty good size gap. They only begin to overlap if you get the most loaded Azera and compare that to the base Genesis. But this happens within every company.

For example, you can option a Yaris to the price of a Corolla, a Corolla to the price of a Camry, a Camry to the price of an Avalon, ect...
Old 11-29-10, 07:05 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

The biggest question is whether or not a new generation of Azera will sell better than the current one, which is meager at best. The current gen is a decent car and offers a lot for the money, but never caught on for whatever reasons.

Hyundai is even stronger now and more recognizable, that will probably help.
Old 11-29-10, 07:40 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Not impressed, don't expect strong sales.
Old 11-29-10, 08:21 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Not impressed, don't expect strong sales.
True. It's a small niche market, as more expensive cars equate to sportier rides.

The Azera, like the Avalon, are made for conservative older buyers that want a pacified Buick-like ride. It's just not vogue to be so dull.

Having a too-modern/futuristic interior may be too "wild" for this market.
Old 11-29-10, 08:38 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
True. It's a small niche market, as more expensive cars equate to sportier rides.

The Azera, like the Avalon, are made for conservative older buyers that want a pacified Buick-like ride. It's just not vogue to be so dull.

True. This interior may be too stylized for the intended market. They should have went with a more classical luxury sense seen in the Genesis.

I doubt Hyundai's intent is to sell a lot of these anyway. It will certainly be more than the boring current model but their bread and butter will remain the Sonata.

I'd pick a well equipped Sonata at $25K over a base Azera anyday.
Old 11-29-10, 08:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT

Exactly, Phil. Couldn't agree with you more. But those who like and enjoy a smooth ride are not necessarily "old". I liked cushy luxury cars (and muscle-cars) even as a teen.
So did my best high-school friend.
Old 11-29-10, 08:47 AM
LexFather

Yeah but a loaded Azera will cross a Genesis V-6 and we know you can get a Genesis in the high 20s with discounts. I do believe the car will be fine as others have proven similar size sedans around the same price range can all succeed.

One thing going for it if you are a Hyundai person is it has a V-6 and some may prefer it over the Sonata I-4 turbo.

Quick Reply: Hyundai Gandeur/Azera (fifth generation)