Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai Gandeur/Azera (fifth generation)

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-10, 07:28 AM
LexFather

Seriously, some of you are reaching. The car looks fine. So what if it has some similarities, many cars do. I think it looks fine and seems like a continuation of the Hyundai Fish look and their own Azera. As DJ stated the proportions look right and we should know by know LOOKS account for a lot when it comes time to purchase.

I think the Avalon will be fine (sales) b/c its traditional look appeals to people who won't want this swoopy look. I think cars like the TSX, Regal, CC might have to look over their shoulder.

Originally Posted by madoka
Yet you refuse to believe Lexus ripped off Mercedes, when MB's designer even publically called them out on it.
What does that have to do with this topic? I mean wouldn't it make sense for Benz to call out who they think copies? This is the same brand that refuses to acknowledge the CTS-V or IS F.

Old 12-03-10, 07:52 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
Even if the new Azera's tails use a similar idea, it's clearly not a copycat move. Do we think Hyundai went back to 1992 to copy a design?

Numerous cars have used this cross-linked design in the tail lights.
Here's a few quick examples of the same theme...
I wasn't only referring to the cross-link; I was referring to the entire rear light style and assembly (including the *shape* and the *arrangement* of the rear lights).

Anyways, I have nothing more to add to this topic.

We'll see if the swoopy styling, and the uterus-shaped interior appeals to people, especially with the Genesis V6 and Sonata as other choices.
Old 12-03-10, 08:03 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
We'll see if the swoopy styling, and the uterus-shaped interior appeals to people, especially with the Genesis V6 and Sonata as other choices.
I'd hit it.

Sorry.
Old 12-03-10, 08:09 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I would actually take a Genesis V6 over this. Pricing would be fairly close between the two factoring in Genesis deals and incentives, and the Genesis IMO looks more elegant than this new Azera. I don't even want to think about how swoopy the next-gen Genesis will be though, and how many random character lines the body will have.
Old 12-22-10, 11:34 AM
akbergq
Lead Lap

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/12/22/v...omo/#continued

that video makes the car look like a low $40'ks car and im not bsing.

This car is GORGEOUS! This car is a better hcoice against a G, TL, 3 series.

and so is the model

Called my local dealer....they have 18 people on the list for the car...and from the looks of it - the sale sguy said the owner of the dealership will be asking 3-5K over sticker for it.

dont know if theyll get anything over sticker - but i do know - that is ONE HOT looking ryde especially in the black with LED's!

Last edited by akbergq; 12-22-10 at 11:56 AM.
Old 12-22-10, 11:42 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by akbergq
and so is the model
Ninja status for sure...
Old 12-22-10, 12:23 PM
LexFather

Very cute model. Reminds me of an ES in the way its sized, the way it turned on etc. Very well done to me.

Old 12-22-10, 01:03 PM
OceanView
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice looking car.
Looks like it has some nice gadgets.
Does the model come with the car?
Old 12-22-10, 01:33 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gorgeous
Old 12-22-10, 02:16 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I really like this! Good looking vehicle!
Old 12-22-10, 03:05 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

video's very nice - let's face it, they're going DIRECTLY after toyota/lexus/honda/acura.

it should be OBVIOUS they're taking hyundai up market but will still have kia as their 'value' brand. they have huge plans for the dealerships too.

sure the competition will respond, but anyone who doubts the product possibilities for hyundai must forget how the s. koreans now dominate televisions/monitors and so much other high tech manufacturing. anyone who says they MUST have a separate brand for this like toyota did with lexus doesn't realize the market has CHANGED. lest we forget brands like BMW have come DOWNMARKET with a 1 series, Audi with the A3, and i wouldn't be surprised if mercedes comes out with a cheaper class in the u.s. lexus is even doing it with the HS and CT.

so lines will blur, the market's more complex, and hyundai can do well at all levels, but not right away of course, it will take time, and yes, they could screw it up. but dismissing or counting them out would be a mistake.
Old 12-22-10, 03:47 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I don't know if anyone pointed this out yet, if someone did already, I apologize.

It is not easy to see, but if you look into it, it is very clear.

Hyundai is directly copying the entire line of Toyota/Lexus, they just don't want to spend the money to create a separate premuim brand.

Same physical size, same features, same engine size, same power, same drive wheels, similar price.....etc

Accent = Yaris
Elantra = Corolla
Sonata = Camry
Azera = ES350
Genesis sedan = GS350/460
Equus = LS460L
Old 12-22-10, 06:10 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
I don't know if anyone pointed this out yet, if someone did already, I apologize.

It is not easy to see, but if you look into it, it is very clear.

Hyundai is directly copying the entire line of Toyota/Lexus, they just don't want to spend the money to create a separate premuim brand.

Same physical size, same features, same engine size, same power, same drive wheels, similar price.....etc

Accent = Yaris
Elantra = Corolla
Sonata = Camry
Azera = ES350
Genesis sedan = GS350/460
Equus = LS460L
very good post. yes, that's exactly what they're doing. why not go after a highly successful brand by imitating the formula? pepsi goes after coke, etc.
Old 12-22-10, 06:41 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
very good post. yes, that's exactly what they're doing. why not go after a highly successful brand by imitating the formula? pepsi goes after coke, etc.
Yeah it was confusing before I look into it. I didn't know what the Azera trying to be until I check it out, is like wow it is a ES350! FWD, 280 hp V6, entry level luxury....etc.
Old 12-22-10, 06:44 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where's the IS competitor? That would be a gunfight I'd like to see.

Quick Reply: Hyundai Gandeur/Azera (fifth generation)