Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai Gandeur/Azera (fifth generation)

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-10, 07:49 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd take this car over a TL and most Hondas anyday. It looks pretty sharp in black.
Old 12-22-10, 07:58 PM
nyce92m3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

doesnt look half bad, cant wait to see more
Old 12-22-10, 08:00 PM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by madoka
Yet you refuse to believe Lexus ripped off Mercedes, when MB's designer even publically called them out on it.
who rip-offed the 745's interior?
might be a low blow since we're talking exterior

Originally Posted by ecr527
I'd take this car over a TL and most Hondas anyday. It looks pretty sharp in black.
totally agree, love that rear end
Old 12-22-10, 08:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by bruce van
Where's the IS competitor? That would be a gunfight I'd like to see.
for the coupe at least there's the Genesis Coupe which is very impressive.
Old 12-22-10, 09:21 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by akbergq
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/12/22/v...omo/#continued

that video makes the car look like a low $40'ks car and im not bsing.

This car is GORGEOUS! This car is a better hcoice against a G, TL, 3 series.

and so is the model

i don't really care about the car.... though the headlights are nice. I'd even say the led design's as good as audi.

anyone know who the girl is? she's fuggin hot

Old 12-22-10, 09:54 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by akbergq
that video makes the car look like a low $40'ks car and im not bsing.
That is because a fully loaded one should be very close to $40k, the current Azera is $33.5k and this new one looks quite a bit more upmarket.
Old 12-22-10, 09:55 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Still not feeling this in the new video. It looks even more like a Sonata in the video from the front. The headlights are a bit too overstyled IMO.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
video's very nice - let's face it, they're going DIRECTLY after toyota/lexus/honda/acura.

it should be OBVIOUS they're taking hyundai up market but will still have kia as their 'value' brand. they have huge plans for the dealerships too.

sure the competition will respond, but anyone who doubts the product possibilities for hyundai must forget how the s. koreans now dominate televisions/monitors and so much other high tech manufacturing. anyone who says they MUST have a separate brand for this like toyota did with lexus doesn't realize the market has CHANGED. lest we forget brands like BMW have come DOWNMARKET with a 1 series, Audi with the A3, and i wouldn't be surprised if mercedes comes out with a cheaper class in the u.s. lexus is even doing it with the HS and CT.

so lines will blur, the market's more complex, and hyundai can do well at all levels, but not right away of course, it will take time, and yes, they could screw it up. but dismissing or counting them out would be a mistake.
What other high tech manufacturing? I know it's off-topic, but I'm curious .

Korean manufacturers so far have continued to struggle in the cell phone market, and have virtually no presence in laptop markets, just as examples. Other than TVs, LED and LCD arrays, and RAM, what other high-tech areas are Koreans dominating in? Certainly not in printers or cameras either, as those continue to be dominated by a few American brands and Japanese brands. Chip manufacturing and design in Asia is dominated primarily by Taiwan. Taiwan is also starting to make big gains in the smartphone market.

I don't think anyone is dismissing or counting Hyundai out. I do think though that some believe Hyundai might be getting too brash, too confident, and a bit too full of themselves.

Taking Hyundai upmarket? Maybe, but not with low end vehicles like the Tuscon or Genesis Coupe for sale. In terms of interior quality, the new Sonata isn't exactly a segment leader either.

Yes, Hyundai MUST have a separate luxury brand to be taken seriously in the luxury segment. The Genesis sedan is more near-luxury, and competes with the lower end "near luxury" brands like Volvo, Lincoln, Acura, etc. Hyundai's extremely low sales expectations for the Equus in the US is basically an admittal from Hyundai themselves that they know the Equus won't sell branded as a Hyundai. Months from now I'm sure we will all be discussing how low Equus sales are.

Originally Posted by BNR34
I don't know if anyone pointed this out yet, if someone did already, I apologize.

It is not easy to see, but if you look into it, it is very clear.

Hyundai is directly copying the entire line of Toyota/Lexus, they just don't want to spend the money to create a separate premuim brand.

Same physical size, same features, same engine size, same power, same drive wheels, similar price.....etc

Accent = Yaris
Elantra = Corolla
Sonata = Camry
Azera = ES350
Genesis sedan = GS350/460
Equus = LS460L
Agreed. Not only are they trying to copy Toyota, but they are being quite brash about it and it's almost as if they're proud of it.
Old 12-22-10, 10:03 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
video's very nice - let's face it, they're going DIRECTLY after toyota/lexus/honda/acura.

it should be OBVIOUS they're taking hyundai up market but will still have kia as their 'value' brand. they have huge plans for the dealerships too.

sure the competition will respond, but anyone who doubts the product possibilities for hyundai must forget how the s. koreans now dominate televisions/monitors and so much other high tech manufacturing. anyone who says they MUST have a separate brand for this like toyota did with lexus doesn't realize the market has CHANGED. lest we forget brands like BMW have come DOWNMARKET with a 1 series, Audi with the A3, and i wouldn't be surprised if mercedes comes out with a cheaper class in the u.s. lexus is even doing it with the HS and CT.

so lines will blur, the market's more complex, and hyundai can do well at all levels, but not right away of course, it will take time, and yes, they could screw it up. but dismissing or counting them out would be a mistake.
I think you misread me in the other post, that's why you were slamming me

I am with you 100%, I think very highly of the latest Hyundai's products, that is why I want to drive the Equus, I think it should be a very fine car. I was just slamming the lowly salesman

I do think a separate premium brand would help a lot, I think without it they will be less successful at it. Just like most people pointed out, the biggest reason the VW Phaeton wasn't a big success was the lack of a premium badge.

I think it is great that Hyundai is going upmarket, the more competition the better, it would make everyone step up their games. Personally I think all Lexus that came out after 2006 is less impressive then their previous effort. (Excluding the LFA of course )
Old 12-22-10, 10:18 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Still not feeling this in the new video. It looks even more like a Sonata in the video from the front. The headlights are a bit too overstyled IMO.
The resemblance to the Sonata is intentional, is their new family look

What other high tech manufacturing? I know it's off-topic, but I'm curious .
I think they are doing pretty good in cell phone.

I don't think anyone is dismissing or counting Hyundai out. I do think though that some believe Hyundai might be getting too brash, too confident, and a bit too full of themselves.
Hyundai salesmen are definitely getting too cocky for my taste.

Taking Hyundai upmarket? Maybe, but not with low end vehicles like the Tuscon or Genesis Coupe for sale. In terms of interior quality, the new Sonata isn't exactly a segment leader either.
Well you need to be clear, not every products Hyundai make is upmarket, only the new Azera, Genesis sedan and Equus is upmarket, the rest are still in the regular lower market. The confusing part is due to them not separating them out. The interior quality of the new Sonata is definitely comparable, if not better then it's competitors (Camry, Accord, Altima). I think a lot of people is confuse of thinking the new Sonata is a ES350 competitor, which it is not.

Yes, Hyundai MUST have a separate luxury brand to be taken seriously in the luxury segment.
That I agreed 100%, they must have a separate luxury brand to become as successful as Lexus. Or maybe they don't want to be as successful, they just want to be close to Lexus.

Agreed. Not only are they trying to copy Toyota, but they are being quite brash about it and it's almost as if they're proud of it.
They should be proud, they are doing a very good job. I am proud of them.
Old 12-22-10, 10:18 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I enjoyed the video very much. Brings be back to the days where commercials were all about the cars themselves, not the 0% APR $70/month 90 month lease deals.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I would actually take this car over a comparably equipped Accord/TL and Camry/ES.
Old 12-22-10, 10:25 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Reminds me of an ES in the way its sized, the way it turned on etc. Very well done to me.
It should be similar since it is a direct competitor to the ES350
Old 12-22-10, 10:25 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I think they are doing pretty good in cell phone.
I double-checked the stats, they are doing fairly well in cell phones yes. Correction to what I said earlier.

Well you need to be clear, not every products Hyundai make is upmarket, only the new Azera, Genesis sedan and Equus is upmarket, the rest are still in the regular lower market. The confusing part is due to them not separating them out. The interior quality of the new Sonata is definitely comparable, if not better then it's competitors (Camry, Accord, Altima). I think a lot of people is confuse of thinking the new Sonata is a ES350 competitor, which it is not.
That's the point. If they don't make a separate brand for the highest-end models, the image won't change much. I've been hearing mixed things about the new Sonata interior. For some it looks good and has flashy style, but quality-wise I hear it uses worse materials than the Accord interior.

That I agreed 100%, they must have a separate luxury brand to become as successful as Lexus. Or maybe they don't want to be as successful, they just want to be close to Lexus.
They'll need a separate brand if they even want to be close to Lexus IMO. Matching Lexus in success will require more than just a separate luxury brand .
Old 12-22-10, 10:28 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSteg
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I would actually take this car over a comparably equipped Accord/TL and Camry/ES.
I won't say that until I drive one, the TL and ES are extremely nice cars.....it takes A LOT to match or exceed them
Old 12-22-10, 10:40 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

That's the point. If they don't make a separate brand for the highest-end models, the image won't change much.
Their image is changing, but definitely not as dramatic as like when Lexus came out.

I've been hearing mixed things about the new Sonata interior. For some it looks good and has flashy style, but quality-wise I hear it uses worse materials than the Accord interior.
I checked it out, it looks ok. The leather does look low rent to me, but I am used to highend Lexus leather, and I haven't been in any Camry or Accord lately, so I can't tell But magazine review is very favorable.

They'll need a separate brand if they even want to be close to Lexus IMO. Matching Lexus in success will require more than just a separate luxury brand .
Yeah that's for sure. Lexus have pushed the bar so high!
Old 12-23-10, 06:31 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

The current gen Azera seems like a decent car overall but has never sold very well at all. This new one should do better since it has better styling (IMO) and the Hyundai brand is stronger now than it was when the Azera came out.

I'm still surprised they are keeping the name rather than starting fresh with another name.

Quick Reply: Hyundai Gandeur/Azera (fifth generation)