Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai Gandeur/Azera (fifth generation)

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-10, 03:37 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I'm one of the few here that likes the current Azera
You been into the rum & eggnog already Mike???
Attached Thumbnails Hyundai Gandeur/Azera (fifth generation)-o-rly__ruserious.jpg  
Old 12-23-10, 03:46 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Does anyone think this new design for the Azera is too "flashy" for the kind of clientele that buy barge-like sedans?

I mean, we're talking about 50+ (if not 60+) male buyers who think Buick is the shiznit. The Cadillac DTS is as flashy as it gets, and we're talking about a 275hp 4-speed V8...
Old 12-23-10, 03:57 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
You been into the rum & eggnog already Mike???
If I could send it, I would ship to you a holiday drink called "RumTough" which is a Caribbean drink that is Rum, Rum, Rum, More Rum, nutmeg, cinnamon, more rum, rum and more rum.

I always felt the current Azera had good proportions and the rear and 3/4s of the car is very well done.

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Does anyone think this new design for the Azera is too "flashy" for the kind of clientele that buy barge-like sedans?

I mean, we're talking about 50+ (if not 60+) male buyers who think Buick is the shiznit. The Cadillac DTS is as flashy as it gets, and we're talking about a 275hp 4-speed V8...
Yes b/c Hyundai is for people that want Benzes and Audis and Lexus but buy a Hyundai/Kia instead b/c of price. Interiors look like them, LED lights, flashy styling etc.Now there is absolutely nothing wrong with that but that is what it is.

In just a short time I've noticed owners speeding in the fast lane like they drive a CTS-V and double parking in lots like its a CLS 63. There are also some dubbed out Genesis sedans here with tons of chrome accents (fender vents, pillars, wheels etc). We have all witnessed the posting by them as well. Aggresive, flaming, factually incorrect many times and downright rude.

It really contradicts the whole "oh I don't care about badges" if you are going to drive and park like a tard and act like the douche with the "badge"

Audi and Hyundai are the two new brands that have gotten it together and also now attract all the *****.

Last edited by LexFather; 12-23-10 at 04:00 PM.

Old 12-23-10, 04:19 PM
pavelekPL
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Audi and Hyundai are the two new brands that have gotten it together and also now attract all the *****.

i love that episode

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw7D9cDQqHo
Old 12-24-10, 12:12 AM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I could send it, I would ship to you a holiday drink called "RumTough" which is a Caribbean drink that is Rum, Rum, Rum, More Rum, nutmeg, cinnamon, more rum, rum and more rum.
Totally off topic but I actually had this when I was down there and it is DELICIOUS
Old 12-24-10, 04:36 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I think it's a lot easier/different to start at the top and move down market than it is to start at the bottom and go up. Lexus, MB and BMW already have the respect and recognition that they need and deserve - they're proven. It doesn't really matter if you sell a CT or B class because the public already acknowledges the LS, LX, LFA, 7, X5, S, SL, SLS as halo cars and benchmarks. Granted, $30,000 is still a decent amount of money but I don't think the big 3 should venture much below that price point.

Hyundai is known for building cheap econoboxes, luxury cars are foreign territory for them. Mercedes is the international standard for luxury, not econoboxes.
I agreed, once the good reputation brand name is established, you can start selling cheap $12k crap and people would still think it is gold due to the badge.
Old 12-24-10, 05:34 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
no need to rehash but you went far beyond your irritation about the 'lowly salesman'. you slammed the service, hyundai's strategy of the equus owner not having to go to the dealer (about 18yr olds thrashing the owner's equus). you also said "I was thinking Hyundai would bent over backward to ask people to test drive the Equus, I guess not" based on your experience with a salesperson i believe who is not a hyundai employee.
I agreed the "18yr olds thrashing cars" is purely speculation, but let's be real, all dealer's lot boy are 18 yr olds high school grad that thrashes all cars, just like valets. Even at very highend brand, a long time ago, my local Ferrari dealer hired a lot boy that don't even know how to drive a stick shift, at the time ALL Ferrari cars are stick shift.........LOL........so when he was told to move a car on his 1st day, he learned it on a brand new Ferrari.....LOL.....sure enough, he crashed into 2 other brand new Ferrari. So yeah, I don't trust any lot boy to drive my car for longer then 200 feets.

just fyi, i bought 2 lexus in the past and had a terrible sales experience both times. i gather that's unusual, but my experience was worse than other purchases from honda, acura, subaru, and ford. i think there's good and bad salespeople at all dealerships.
I agreed, again I was just slamming that one particular salesman, not the Equus or Hyundai in general at all.

thought some more about this and while acura sells a fair number of vehicles, they're not consider tier 1 at least on here, and infiniti's numbers are basically one model (g37 sedan and coupe), so in my mind, acura and infiniti are basically failures, and lexus is successful, so to me it is neither required nor a guarantee of success to create a new brand.
Well having a premium brand is one thing, it still required good products to be successful. Acura is not doing well is because their products are way too conservative, not having RWD, V8 and physically too small (RL) are some of the cons I can think of quickly. The TSX was only a 4 bangers up until last year, who wants a 4 bangers luxury car? Infiniti's issue is too low of refinements, that VQ's V6 is so harsh, it can give the TSX's 4 bangers a good run for who is harsher! And Infiniti's overall build quality is too low for a luxury car, my ex sister's in law's G35 coupe is falling apart at 50k miles.......enough said. Highend market required everything, good products + separate brand name. Hyundai have decent products but no brand name.

hyundai has been improving their offerings a lot over time, with genesis, new sonata (not a luxury car no, but impressive), and now equus, so they've been prepping the market for them adding upscale models. their kia line is improving a lot too, especially the sorrento, and i expect hyundai to really ratchet up their cuv/suv line next.
The Kia Optima looks promising too. Maybe that is what they are trying to do, make Kia the lower line and eventually the Hyundai brand is the premium brand.

have you sat in a genesis coupe? it's NICE.
It is nicer then I imagine for a $25k car!

but the genesis sedan is better in just about every way than a lexus es.
It suppose to, the Genesis sedan is a GS fighter. The Azera is a ES fighter. So of course the Genesis sedan is better then the ES in everyway. The FWD vs. RWD alone is no comparison, even my sister, who is 100% clusless about cars....after test driving the ES vs. GS, she picked the GS, she can't tell me why she likes the GS better, she just know it feels better.

i wouldn't be surprised by that either. i think the equus was more aimed at their domestic market and they've brought it over to make some noise, knowing it's not ideal yet. to me the equus looks are a bit dated before it even comes out!
Haha......I think the Equus looks dated already too. I agreed, the market is probably not ready for the Equus yet, but Hyundai have to start somewhere. 5-7 years from now, the market will be ready and the 2nd gen Equus should be very impressive.

i struggle to even consider lexus in the same group as bmw and mercedes not because they're 'worse' but because they're just so different. and i'm losing track of what you mean by Tier 1 because the 3 series isn't very luxurious, it just drives wonderfully. the C class has some bling (especially the refresh coming) but is still just a nice driving small car. the ES on the other hand isn't much of a driver, but it's comfy, FWD, and like a buick. the IS is pretty plain and cramped, and has sporty aspirations but isn't quite there except w/ f-sport or IS-F boy race version of course.

[/QUOTE] lol. you know something else? the lexus owners would rather not be at the dealer AT ALL! [/QUOTE]

So true. That is one thing I enjoy about Lexus so much, nothing ever breaks so I never have to go to the dealer. Dealer visit is always painful to me. That's why I change the oil myself because I don't want to go to the dealer!
Old 12-24-10, 06:15 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

You mean Avalon. People (as in the vast majority) are not going to drop their ES's for a Hyundai Azera, no matter how good it is. Its funny people said "oh the LaCrosse is going to kill the ES" and well the ES continues to sell like it isn't there..
In my mind, the Avalon is very close to a ES350, they each got their pros and cons. Avalon is bigger in size but the ES is a bit more luxurious, refined and got more bling. The biggest reason the ES seems cooler is because of the badge

All Hyundai has done is taken things from different companies and made them a Hyundai.
Call me different, but I really like how Hyundai take the good bits from every competitor and made it into one car....so this one car has the best of everything. EVERY single car from every brand, I can find something I love and something I hate........from a $15k Kia to a $300k Bentley, nothing is perfect. So if there is one car that got the best feature from every single car, that would be the perfect car!

Its great Hyundai has come this far. However lets not act like people stopped buying those other brands and people are paying over MSRP for Hyundais. That hasn't happened at all.
Sure other brand's sales are not completely stopped, but buyers of Genesis sedan and the future Equus have to come from somewhere. Other brand's sales # got to be affected by them.

Case in point the new Sonata. For all its greatness that has been shoved down our throats like Religion to Native Americans it isn't outselling the top cars. It has a $199 lease deal and sells quite frankly to people who like vanilla but want something that looks like a Mercedes CLS. Which is their choice, that is fine. And its a fine car. But note that the Sonata isn't #1 in much anything.
If I remembered correcly, the Sonata beated the Carmy and Accord in a magazine's comparison test.....if those comparison test mean anything. Also the sales # of the Sonata went up dramatically since the new model came out, again those buyers are previously Camry, Accord and Altima buyers. So even though the Sonata are not outselling the top cars, it is directly take sales away from the top cars.

You know I will really judge these cars after 100,000 miles and people have owned them for 5-10 years. They are unproven still. Are they much better? Yes and I think this Azera looks great in and out.
That is so true. The true indicator of a great car is how it looks and perform at 100k miles.

I'm one of the few here that likes the current Azera
I like the current Azera too, maybe I am one of the few?
Old 12-24-10, 06:46 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by akbergq
The current azera starts at 25K and loaded is $32K.

This new azera is not oging otbe anywhere near $40K loaded - whoever said that. Thats how much a loaded gensis goes for. The azera fits between an sonata and a genesis.
The current Azera maxed out at $33k, the new one looks quite a bit more upmarket and I am sure it will come with more available features. I bet you the new one will maxed out at $36k~$38k. Just like how the new Sonata is much nicer but come with a big price increase. Maxed out V6 and V8 Genesis sedan are at $42k and $44k respectively. The gaps between levels in these kind of segments are very small, just like how loaded ES350 and GS350 are only $4k~$5k difference in price.

Originally Posted by akbergq
I have a feeling it will give the ES and TL a run for its money big time.
This is true. For buyers who can overlook the badge and looking for a discount, the new Azera should be a serious challenger.
Old 12-25-10, 06:22 AM
AkzS5
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Leaked specs/details for the US version:

3.3L V6 unit with an output of 286 horsepower and 255 lb. ft of torque. Mated to a 6-speed automatic transmission. Thats the only powerplant.

Standard/Available Features:

Auto Parking Assist System,
LKAS (Lane Keeping Asist System: Advanced than Lane Departure Warning System)
PSB (Presafe Seat Belt Tightening)
TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System)
Full front HID/LED and rear LED lights
Welcome Lighting System
Interior Ambient Lighting System
Surround View Monitoring System,
Panoramic Sunroof, Full LED Head-lamp or HID Head-lamp with Full LED Tail-lamp and LED interior lights
ASCC (Advanced Smart Cruise Control System),
Voice Navigation System
Bluetooth Hands Free
Heated/Cooled perforated seats
Power rear sunshade
Panorama sunroof
Supervision Instrument Cluster
Telescopic steering column
Push Button Start
Lexicon 15 speaker sound system
Vehicle Stability Management System
Electronic Stability Control

Im going to take an educated guess based on the current Azera that tops out at $33K, the 2012 model will be $34-$35K with every possible option package. They wont price it any higher than $35K. But i have a strong feeling that they will still hit it home at very close the same price point loaded as the current azera, but with all these new features.

Thats a hell of a bargain given superb styling, quality of materials used in the gorgeous interior, and standard and available features/technology.

Pitted against the Maxima, Taurus, TL, ES350, Avalon..... the Maxima and TL will outplay it in the performance/drive dynamics category only with their sport suspension. In most all other comparison areas with those and the rest of the competitors - they dont really stand a chance against this if one is objective and doesnt play the badge game.

Im 29 im seriously considering this vehicle when it launches, particularly at a $34K loaded.. Black/black will be killer combo.

Last edited by AkzS5; 12-25-10 at 06:56 AM.
Old 12-25-10, 07:47 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

It certainly is an attractive package. OTOH as previously mentioned, even if the new Azera sells 10 times better than its current rate, it still won't match the sales of many of its competitors. With the Sonata below it and Genesis above it, it probably won't increase sales by that much. It will no doubt be way more successful than the current gen tho.
Old 12-25-10, 09:48 AM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

not bad at all. It has my interest. I hope mpg #'s are nice...
Old 12-25-10, 04:22 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

well, they shaped the center stack like a uterus.

Old 12-25-10, 04:51 PM
vipism
Driver School Candidate

here's a korean commercial

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO5MEj4Aah0
Old 12-25-10, 06:39 PM
AkzS5
Driver School Candidate

My local dealer is collecting deposits on this already. Theres about 12 people signed up for this car. These guys are asking 2k over sticker, whatever the msrp happens to be. Thats ludicrous....

WOW never heard of a line for a hyundai vehicle before. I admit this is going to be an impressive and sexy car with a lot to offer.

Quick Reply: Hyundai Gandeur/Azera (fifth generation)