Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Twin Turbo or Supercharger...Which One

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-11, 11:21 AM
NTRUDA
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin Turbo or Supercharger...Which One

I looking to purchase a 1991 Toyota Supra Turbo..the car has 158,651 miles on it...I'm looking at this as a project car with upgrades and everything...the dealer wants roughly $6k but the bb value in excellent condition is $4100...I really want this care but the dealer is acting like a scrub...but questions is picking a turbo or supercharger...I'm looking to make this thing a rocket but what iduction system should I use based on price, reliability, speed, repairs/maintenance and what not...Give me you honest opinons...here are some pics of the car...
Attached Thumbnails Twin Turbo or Supercharger...Which One-supra-1.jpg   Twin Turbo or Supercharger...Which One-supra-2.jpg   Twin Turbo or Supercharger...Which One-supra-3.jpg   Twin Turbo or Supercharger...Which One-supra-4.jpg   Twin Turbo or Supercharger...Which One-supra-9.jpg  

Old 01-18-11, 12:06 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

The only good thing that ever came on these cars was the 5spd R154.... And this car is automatic. Let's see..... crappy engine and a crappy auto.... for 6k? You must be nuts if you're even thinking about it. You can pick up a 2jzgte/LSD/R154 SC300 here in the classifieds for around $8k.

MKIII's suck. Period. Unless you swap them. Also, never heard of these being supercharged...where'd you get that idea lol?
Old 01-18-11, 12:13 PM
NTRUDA
Rookie

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
The only good thing that ever came on these cars was the 5spd R154.... And this car is automatic. Let's see..... crappy engine and a crappy auto.... for 6k? You must be nuts if you're even thinking about it. You can pick up a 2jzgte/LSD/R154 SC300 here in the classifieds for around $8k.

MKIII's suck. Period. Unless you swap them. Also, never heard of these being supercharged...where'd you get that idea lol?
I said that I thought about supercharging it..but I'm just looking for a project car no I'm not going 2 pay $6 for this car--I SAID $4100...and I don't want an SC300, I want a Supra--I am quite sure that I can find a 2jzgte but they are hard 2 find..but thanks for you input...NEXT...
Old 01-18-11, 12:18 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 97-SC300

^the correct answer.

Sounds like an impending disaster (and also lack of knowledge) if you're talking supercharger for an MKIII Supra. Head over to supraforums.com and read before you buy anything.
Old 01-18-11, 12:21 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts

I usually see these Supra's with a twin turbo setup. Since that's the most common form of forced induction, I would go with that. Would you swap the engine or turbo the current engine?

Even $4,100 is a little high for a MKIII, but it is hard to find a decent MKIII that runs. If it's not a turbo Supra, you should be able to get it even cheaper than that.
Old 01-18-11, 12:27 PM
NTRUDA
Rookie

Originally Posted by pvmike1
^the correct answer.

Sounds like an impending disaster (and also lack of knowledge) if you're talking supercharger for an MKIII Supra. Head over to supraforums.com and read before you buy anything.
Thanks PVMIKE...I did a little research on suprercharging vs turbo...I think I will stick with turbo...I guess I got the notion because most cars not all cars are going surpercharge..but it seems adequete to just stick with turbo since that swap will be a little difficult or as u say...IMPENDING DISASTER...but I will still do my research and due dilligence..but thanks for your imput.
Old 01-18-11, 12:31 PM
NTRUDA
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kira X
I usually see these Supra's with a twin turbo setup. Since that's the most common form of forced induction, I would go with that. Would you swap the engine or turbo the current engine?

Even $4,100 is a little high for a MKIII, but it is hard to find a decent MKIII that runs. If it's not a turbo Supra, you should be able to get it even cheaper than that.
I agree but this is the bb value for this car in excellent condition...I haven't told the dealer of what I would offer, I just told him that I'll get back to him after several days of negotiation...this is a Supra Turbo but will do a twn turbo setup on this...if I could, I would swap the engine for the 2jzgte which are a pain to find in good condition and at a decent price...thanks for you input...
Old 01-18-11, 12:57 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by NTRUDA
I agree but this is the bb value for this car in excellent condition...I haven't told the dealer of what I would offer, I just told him that I'll get back to him after several days of negotiation...this is a Supra Turbo but will do a twn turbo setup on this...if I could, I would swap the engine for the 2jzgte which are a pain to find in good condition and at a decent price...thanks for you input...
You're welcome!

I didn't realise it was a turbo Supra. It's really difficult to get a clean one. Hopefully they'll take the $4,100 offer. Those 2JZ's are hard to find cheap. I'm trying to get one too, but I can't find one.
Old 01-18-11, 01:01 PM
NTRUDA
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kira X
You're welcome!

I didn't realise it was a turbo Supra. It's really difficult to get a clean one. Hopefully they'll take the $4,100 offer. Those 2JZ's are hard to find cheap. I'm trying to get one too, but I can't find one.
I did check out this website for supra parts and info...hopes this helps..

http://www.suprastore.com/