Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

OK, Guys.....I'm back in Car Chat (hopefully for good this time).

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-11, 11:07 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

It's good to have you back. I always love to read your reviews. I hope your recovery is going well.
Old 01-20-11, 12:13 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Good to hear your recovery is going well and you are getting back to moving around more and doing more things. Looking forward to your reviews.
Old 01-20-11, 04:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by DunWkg
You didn't mention taste. Nothing tasted right for months.
Some (not all) of the hospital food tasted a little bland, but I don't think it was my taste buds; probably just the way they tended to prepare it. Also, in the hospital, you tend not to have much appetite, period......particularly when stuff like Percocet makes you nauseous and exhausted. I quickly learned to avoid Percocet, and stick to milder pain-pills. Since I left the hospital, though, both my appetite and taste buds have been normal.

Good luck with rehab, it's the best part of the whole process.
As soon as the doctor clears me to return there again, I'll probably be doing a lot of my own rehab at the indoor County-managed pool/recreation center that I belong to. It has, among other things, an Olympic-size indoor pool, treadmills, a gym room, a nice Jacuzzi, and sauna rooms. I've been a member there for several years, and swim/walk regularly.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-20-11 at 04:52 PM.
Old 01-20-11, 05:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
It's good to have you back. I always love to read your reviews. I hope your recovery is going well.
Originally Posted by UDel
Looking forward to your reviews.
Thanks. More reviews will be coming in February....I've already listed the ones I have planned.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-20-11 at 05:05 PM.
Old 01-21-11, 12:43 AM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks. More reviews will be coming in February....I've already listed the ones I have planned.
We'll be looking forward to that. Glad to have you and your knowledge back at CL (along with your borderline obsession of all things Subaru). And of course Happy New Year!
Old 01-21-11, 03:06 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

welcome back and stay healthy
Old 01-21-11, 08:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexLaw
We'll be looking forward to that. Glad to have you and your knowledge back at CL (along with your borderline obsession of all things Subaru). And of course Happy New Year!
Thanks.

Despite the fact that I like how Subaru does boxer-engine designs with Symmetrical AWD, I'm as objective with them as I am with any other automaker. They have, IMO, made several mistakes in the last few years, and I've mentioned them as I see them. There are also some engineering issues with the new 2010-2011 Subaru Legacy/Outback models, in the front suspension/steering....one reason why I did not replace my older Outback with a new one this year.
Old 01-21-11, 09:17 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some (not all) of the hospital food tasted a little bland, but I don't think it was my taste buds; probably just the way they tended to prepare it. Also, in the hospital, you tend not to have much appetite, period......particularly when stuff like Percocet makes you nauseous and exhausted. I quickly learned to avoid Percocet, and stick to milder pain-pills. Since I left the hospital, though, both my appetite and taste buds have been normal.

As soon as the doctor clears me to return there again, I'll probably be doing a lot of my own rehab at the indoor County-managed pool/recreation center that I belong to. It has, among other things, an Olympic-size indoor pool, treadmills, a gym room, a nice Jacuzzi, and sauna rooms. I've been a member there for several years, and swim/walk regularly.
Owning a private hospital here in Japan, I can say that there is a reason for bland food.
Old 01-21-11, 09:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
Owning a private hospital here in Japan, I can say that there is a reason for bland food.
My guess is that they don't put a lot of salt, sodium, spices, etc.... in the hospital food because of concern for blood pressure in the paitients. That would make sense.
Old 01-22-11, 03:56 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My guess is that they don't put a lot of salt, sodium, spices, etc.... in the hospital food because of concern for blood pressure in the paitients. That would make sense.
You would be correct. Although food will vary for different patients, generally food will be prepared to encourage a patient to follow a nutritional balanced diet which is healthy. Unfortunately , most times there is a lack in taste, even though there is the nutritional value there.
Old 01-24-11, 02:42 PM
rai
Lead Lap

glad you are ok

I've been off the site for some time also so didn't know you were ill.

I was wondering have looked at the 2011 Odyssey vs Sienna.

I am a former Odyssey owner, current Sienna owner and probably going to update to either one this year.

phil
Old 01-24-11, 04:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rai
glad you are ok
Thanks.

I haven't seen you post for quite a while. Hope things are OK with you.

I've been off the site for some time also so didn't know you were ill.
I wasn't really ill, in that sense. I had some minor angina while excersising, and it turned out to be blocked heart arteries....significant, but not critical. They did a multiple by-pass (stints were unsuitable for the blockage locations), and I'm recovering from it.

I was wondering have looked at the 2011 Odyssey vs Sienna.

I am a former Odyssey owner, current Sienna owner and probably going to update to either one this year.
They are both excellent minivans. The Sienna generally runs a little more, but is the only American-market minivan that offers an AWD option if you need winter traction.

An interesting new vehicle coming out later will be the Ford C-Max, which is like a mini-minivan, somewhat along the lines of the old Mitsubishi Expo/Plymouth Colt Vista/Eagle Summit Wagon triplets of the early 90s (you remember them, don't you?). It differs from the similiarly-sized Mazda5 in that the Mazda has 2+2+2 seating, while the C-Max will be more conventional inside.

Old 01-25-11, 05:52 AM
rai
Lead Lap

Thanks.

I haven't seen you post for quite a while. Hope things are OK with you.
I've been OK but after buying the MDX and the M3, I needed to cool off for a bit and not think about another car.

we are leaning towards the Sienna AWD (we have one and it runs great but it's not as nice as it used to be) my wife likes the awd for the several times it snows each year.

I think I'll start to look in the summer so I can get a little more use out of the old van, it will be 8 in July and I kind of like to make it to that milestone.
Old 01-25-11, 12:22 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome back! Glad to hear you're recovering well.