Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Need advice for fighting BS citation

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-11, 09:23 PM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my opinion, a plate is meaningless without a clearly identifiable state, but if you can get it signed off as a fix it, I'd be happy for you.

Bottom line though is that you've brought a significant amount of inconvenience onto yourself by not mounting your plate normally, and I'd expect it to continue until the plate gets mounted normally.

I've fought a ticket in court before and had it dismissed by the judge after presenting my defense (yes, the cop did show up), but I still felt like I lost with all the time I spent. The same thing probably applies to you here.
Old 01-20-11, 09:25 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stick
I'd say, just pay the small fine.....or....get some bolts, nuts, some kind of metal frame, and fashion a bracket that will mount through the mesh of your bumper.

If you fight it, you will lose. Sorry, but it is true. They will just think you put the plate on so you can fight the ticket.
The bracket recommendation is a project I won't mind undertaking, I've always liked the way the front plate mounts on the Evos. My IS had one installed front and center from the factory, but I can get creative with my G.

I don't doubt the fact that I'll lose, I have the same exact thought cross into my mind, LOL. I told my friend to do what he wish, as he incurred the citation while the vehicle was under his care. He completely agrees, but just doesn't know what to do or where to start. I basically have no say in the final outcome of this resolution, but it is nice to have situations like this to be analyzed by other members from a neutral perspective.

I know there are new fines in effect Jan. 6, 2011, but does anyone know if the fix-it fee remains the same or has it increased from $25?
Old 01-20-11, 09:32 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomZX
Bottom line though is that you've brought a significant amount of inconvenience onto yourself by not mounting your plate normally, and I'd expect it to continue until the plate gets mounted normally.
I wouldn't call this an inconvenience. If anything, the emotions I experience is more along the lines of surprise. Like I said, when I got the car back from the body shop I was told this was completely legal. Went home, did a quick search on Google, and confirmed all the information they shared with me was correct. Drove by dozens of cops who watch the entire vehicle pass by and none of them ever hassled me for it. Lived in bliss for four months, then I get a text message one day from my friend saying that the G got cited.

If anything this is more of a learning experience (that this technique of mounting is not accepted) for me and to whomever has bent plates from that body shop I used. Again, its interesting to see laws and vehicle codes interpreted from other perspectives. Its natural for the person who gets cited to be on the defense, and said person needs to be clued in.

Last edited by felixsc300; 01-20-11 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-20-11, 09:51 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by felixsc300
We don't need tags/'registration' on the front license plate. California's registration stickers are affixed to the rear license plate only, and our registration placard is a sheet of paper that can be stored away in the glovebox or wallet until requested by a police officer. Therefore I'm not 'blocking' any 'tags' on my front plate. Thus my front plate is not invalid. Valid plate = front license plate present.
Not living there, I wasn't sure about the tags, simply pointing out another possibility. You ignored my other point, however, in that your plate is both off center and at an angle. This could definitely be construed as attempting to avoid getting your tag nailed by a camera being used by police.

Originally Posted by felixsc300
If anything this is more of a learning experience (that this technique of mounting is not accepted) for me and to whomever has bent plates from that body shop I used. Again, its interesting to see laws and vehicle codes interpreted from other perspectives. Its natural for the person who gets cited to be on the defense, and said person needs to be clued in.
Good outlook on it, mang.

Big Mack
Old 01-21-11, 09:13 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

**** them, **** the system. I say fight it to the death. If they find you at fault , I would take a lawsuit out against them for incompetent meter maids. I hate **** like this.