Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Closer to Reality: VW XL1

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-11, 10:46 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Closer to Reality: VW XL1

Volkswagen has taken another step towards making the one-liter car a reality, and this 200 mile-per-gallon dream could be on the roads within the next few years.

The Formula XL1 Concept combines a two cylinder TDI engine, electric motor, lithium-ion battery pack and a seven-speed dual-clutch transmission to achieve an astonishing 0.9L/100 km – just over 260 mpg to us Yanks. The included plug-in system, along with the XL1's low drag and extensive use of lightweight materials has the potential to make the concept the most efficient vehicle to ever grace public roads.

The XL1 is making its debut at the Qatar Motor Show this week, and while it might look familiar to previous iterations, this latest version is more production read than its predecessors. Check it out from every angle in the gallery below and click past the jump for the full details.
(Courtesy of Autoblog)

Hasn't VW been working on this since the late 90s / early 00s?
Old 01-25-11, 12:56 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JessePS
Hasn't VW been working on this since the late 90s / early 00s?
No wonder, needs a restyle right away.
Old 03-19-12, 07:30 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Post Testing

Just over 1 year ago, we heard reports suggesting that Volkswagen would actually be building a production version of its Formula XL1 concept for limited consumption. And while the skeptics among us were quick to dismiss these reports with a resounding "yeah, right," this latest set of spy shots show that Volkswagen is indeed making progress on an honest-to-goodness road-going model of its 1.0-liter fuel economy warrior.

It's still unclear exactly what will power the production XL1, though the concept car featured a 2-cylinder TDI diesel paired with an electric motor, lithium-ion battery pack and 7-speed dual-clutch transmission. All in, this is said to be good for an astonishing 235 miles per gallon. It might look big and sleek, but the XL1 is about as long and wide as a Volkswagen Polo. It should be ultra-light, too – the concept version tipped the scales at just 1,753 pounds.

The XL1 might look sleek and sporty, but performance will be anything but. The latest reports state that the production car will be limited to a stop speed of about 75 miles per hour, and that it'll take 32(!) seconds to shoot from a stand-still to 50 mph.

We'll keep our eyes peeled for future XL1 prototypes as development continues, but for now, scroll through our attached high-res image gallery to see the space-age VW for yourself.

Old 03-19-12, 07:19 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

The XL1 might look sleek and sporty, but performance will be anything but. The latest reports state that the production car will be limited to a stop speed of about 75 miles per hour, and that it'll take 32(!) seconds to shoot from a stand-still to 50 mph.
That shouldn't be legal. I'd be so pissed if I were getting on the highway behind this guy! Not to mention that would be a huge safety concern. Merging onto the highway at speeds significantly less than the rest of traffic is an accident in the making.
Old 03-19-12, 08:10 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by anthrax144
That shouldn't be legal. I'd be so pissed if I were getting on the highway behind this guy! Not to mention that would be a huge safety concern. Merging onto the highway at speeds significantly less than the rest of traffic is an accident in the making.
Guess you better use the car when there isn't anyone else on the road It be a great car to get some groceries I'd probably stick to the Prius Plug-In though.
Old 03-19-12, 09:42 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

0-50 in 32 seconds!?!?!?
Old 03-20-12, 02:56 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

People need to stop expecting mind-blowing performance from every single car. It's almost silly how there are some places on the 'net where sports car owners discuss the poor track handling capabilities and 0-60 times of minivans and demand that these cars rival a GT-R. I'm exaggerating but you get the point.

The way I see it, it's a car for the city environment or the occasional trip on state roads (like the Smart car). Acceleration isn't important here, fuel economy is. Also, I'm betting that the car is actually "quick" from 0-40 mph, but slower from there onwards. It'll most likely be geared to give decent acceleration in the speeds that we use on a daily basis (city speeds / 25 mph). Besides, the point of such a car is fuel economy.

And this car will most likely not be sold in the US market. It's to fuel efficient! There is no gas-guzzling V8 under the hood which means it won't get 9 mpg. So why bother selling it there?