Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lemme ask you guys another one..... BMW X5 4.4i

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-11, 08:48 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts
Default Lemme ask you guys another one..... BMW X5 4.4i

2006 BMW X5 Sport 4.4i

What are your thoughts on this one? Anyone have one? I'm way past the 50% sure part of buying this and getting towards 90% so I need some good advice form CL brethren before I take the plunge.

Any he said, she said, word on this vehicle?
Old 01-30-11, 09:03 AM
askhao
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2003 BMW X5 4.4i with sport package as well, and many more. Many people will say right off the bat how unreliable they are and should never be purchased unless you're willing to spend $5000 a year on maintenance and problems. I'm proud to say that I've never had any problems with it since new. (knock on wood).

For more information, i suggest you check out xoutpost.com
The members are very friendly and knowledgable when it comes to cars.

See you there!
Old 01-30-11, 09:56 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by askhao
I have a 2003 BMW X5 4.4i with sport package as well, and many more. Many people will say right off the bat how unreliable they are and should never be purchased unless you're willing to spend $5000 a year on maintenance and problems. I'm proud to say that I've never had any problems with it since new. (knock on wood).

For more information, i suggest you check out xoutpost.com
The members are very friendly and knowledgable when it comes to cars.

See you there!
I had a 2003 4.4i with a little over 100 000 miles on it and the maintenance on it was too expensive to justify keeping it. It had developed an engine seal leak and with all of the accompanying parts and labour the dealership wanted $4000 to fix it.

That was aside from the tailight that worked intermittently (a known problem with it) and the dash display lights disappearing.

It was a good driving vehicle, but there is zero chance I would own anything high mileage or out of warranty from BMW or MB.

Are you looking at an E53 or E70? They changed models mid-year in '06 I believe. What specifically are you wondering about it?
Old 01-30-11, 09:58 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My best friend has a 2002 3.0i and that thing is a tank. With all the abuse she's put on it that thing still keeps running like a champ. Only issues on it have been the intermittent brake light/license plate light and not much else besides normal maintenance.
Old 01-30-11, 11:13 AM
askhao
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
I had a 2003 4.4i with a little over 100 000 miles on it and the maintenance on it was too expensive to justify keeping it. It had developed an engine seal leak and with all of the accompanying parts and labour the dealership wanted $4000 to fix it.

That was aside from the tailight that worked intermittently (a known problem with it) and the dash display lights disappearing.

It was a good driving vehicle, but there is zero chance I would own anything high mileage or out of warranty from BMW or MB.

Are you looking at an E53 or E70? They changed models mid-year in '06 I believe. What specifically are you wondering about it?

the dealership will always rob you regardless of what you're going there for. I don't really know what the known problem is with the tail lights.. the MID pixels in the dash display is fixed for free under BMWNA, you just pay either half hour labor, or one hour of labor depending on how well you know your service advisor. the X5 can be a great car if maintained well.
Old 01-30-11, 11:20 AM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

I would get a x5D
Old 01-30-11, 12:07 PM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

my mom had one. in one year, valve covers started leaking, water pump broke, O2 sensors went out, all 4 window regulators broke, transmission broke, lower control arm squeek. i think they spent around 10k in repairs that year. and it only had 60k miles. after that it got hit and totaled it out.
Old 01-30-11, 04:48 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

Looking at the E53. I actually don't think the E70 looks good. It's "bland" IMO.

I am definitely a previous BMW owner, many of them and I know their maintenance. I was just looking for things to know like the tail light issue or any major failures.

Good info so far! Man this thing sure looks fun to drive.

YouTube - bmw x5 4.4 acceleration

YouTube - Bmw x5 4.4 acceleration

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO2IVPsc7UE

Last edited by O. L. T.; 01-30-11 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-30-11, 05:13 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

FWIW in Consumer Reports Used Car Reliability Ratings the '06 X5 (6 cyl) is rated Average overall.

From '07 on, it falls to Below Average and Worse Than Average.

The low rated areas don't seem to be mechanical but are Electrical, Fuel System and Body Hardware. Everything else is either Average or Above Average.
Old 01-30-11, 05:29 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Find a good reputable shop that fixes German cars, makes the ownership experience so much more enjoyable, your mechanic wants you to keep returning for basic maintenance and repairs, dealers are looking to make monthly quotas and do nothing more then have you empty your wallet I don't even own a german car and know places to take one
Old 01-30-11, 07:49 PM
LexFather

Just get some sort of warranty package. The "baby momma" SUV (Jay-Z reference) is one of my surprises. Handled great, great interior build and with the 16" wheels some off road ability. With the sport package it really turns it into one of the sportier SUVs and it looks great.

Just get a warranty!

Old 01-31-11, 12:25 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

cooling system issues I'd say are the biggest concern.
Old 01-31-11, 04:20 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Ehhhhhhhhhhh....

WARRANTY... its a Bimmer...
Old 01-31-11, 10:59 AM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would personally take a look at the 3.0 version instead. Yes, it's got less power, but the engine setup should be the most reliable since it is a variant of the 3.0L I-6 BMW is known for. IMHO a big engine in an SUV doesn't make a whole lot of sense unless you're constantly towing stuff (which isn't really the X5's forte anyways). I've driven the E70 and I must say it is THE BEST SUV I've ever driver, bar none. I've also driven the Lexus RX350, the Merc ML...those cars can't compare to how solid and confident the X5 feels to drive. Only thing I would consider besides an X5 would be a Range Rover.
Old 01-31-11, 01:00 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by askhao
the dealership will always rob you regardless of what you're going there for. I don't really know what the known problem is with the tail lights.. the MID pixels in the dash display is fixed for free under BMWNA, you just pay either half hour labor, or one hour of labor depending on how well you know your service advisor. the X5 can be a great car if maintained well.
Keep telling yourself this.

Maintenance has nothing to do with it....more like luck of the draw. We've had 4 of these between my father and I and not one has ever been what you would call reliable, and my father is ridiculously **** about his vehicles and only ever lets the dealerships look after them. There are plenty of stats to support their lack of reliability.

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Looking at the E53. I actually don't think the E70 looks good. It's "bland" IMO.
I actually agree with this.

The rest of the vehicle more than makes up with the average looks. Imo, the ML is a much better looking SUV.

Originally Posted by CarGuy89
I would personally take a look at the 3.0 version instead. Yes, it's got less power, but the engine setup should be the most reliable since it is a variant of the 3.0L I-6 BMW is known for. IMHO a big engine in an SUV doesn't make a whole lot of sense unless you're constantly towing stuff (which isn't really the X5's forte anyways). I've driven the E70 and I must say it is THE BEST SUV I've ever driver, bar none. I've also driven the Lexus RX350, the Merc ML...those cars can't compare to how solid and confident the X5 feels to drive. Only thing I would consider besides an X5 would be a Range Rover.
The old 3.0 is badly underpowered. The new TT set up with the smaller motor in the new ones is a huge step up.

The Cayenne is probably the next step up from the X5 in terms of performance, handling and luxury before the RR.

Quick Reply: Lemme ask you guys another one..... BMW X5 4.4i