Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Review: 2011 Ford Explorer

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-11, 09:18 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree with a lot of your views here from a strictly financing point of view, but there is still nothing like having a brand-new vehicle....there's a reason why they cost more. You can also (often) get a brand-new vehicle for lower payments if you lease....that's one reason, among several, why leasing has become so popular.
Spot on!!!
Old 02-03-11, 09:27 AM
LexFather

Nice review Mike. 45k is hard to swallow here, even if it has good features.

I used to ride in a friends fathers Explorer to baseball practice games (1st gen) so its pretty stunning to see this new model. Wow.

Old 02-03-11, 03:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Nice review Mike.
Thanks.

45k is hard to swallow here, even if it has good features.
LIke I said earlier, though, the 45K (and the 49K for the earlier one I looked at) was for Limited models. Base models run considerably less than that...but, right now, you don't seem to find them in stock at D.C. area dealerships. There was one lower-priced one at at the D.C. Auto Show....along with a couple of Limiteds, of course.

I used to ride in a friends fathers Explorer to baseball practice games (1st gen) so its pretty stunning to see this new model. Wow.
So the Explorer is not just a Soccer-Mom vehicle, but a Baseball-Pop one as well? (Just kidding)

BTW, Mike........I now have a digital camera (something I've never had before), and am trying to learn how to use it, download images, transfer images onto the Internet, etc..... IF successful, I'll be able to have more accurate images for future car reviews and car shows....but I can't guarantee anything.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-03-11 at 03:17 PM.
Old 02-28-11, 11:43 AM
LexFather

Was at a light and saw a new Explorer next to a Pilot. The Explorer looks absolutely fantastic in person, aggressive but swoopy and a good size. The Pilot looks horrendously bland and ugly next to it.

Nice looking SUV!

Old 02-28-11, 03:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Was at a light and saw a new Explorer next to a Pilot. The Explorer looks absolutely fantastic in person, aggressive but swoopy and a good size. The Pilot looks horrendously bland and ugly next to it.

Nice looking SUV!
Despite the odd-looking computer-port grille, the Pilot's rather bland, squarish styling you refer to helps it out a lot in the space-efficiency department. It is also, IMO, screwed-together and assembled somewhat better right out of the factory than the Explorer.....but, I agree, you have to give the new Explorer some brownie points for its new interior, even though it's not quite as plush as the new Jeep Grand Cherokee's.
Old 06-04-11, 07:02 PM
airahcaz
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any updates on Explorer vs MDX? I'm looking for a 7 passenger and thus it is a criteria, and looking to get either of the 2011's used next year.
Old 06-04-11, 09:59 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I love explorers. We had a 1996 XLT model and thing was reliable as a tank. But I'm not liking this new model, looks too much like a crossover and not a true SUV. Also $50K is alot to swallow for a Ford. At that price I'd rather get a almost-new-used ML.
Old 06-05-11, 10:00 AM
airahcaz
Instructor

Originally Posted by KA8
I love explorers. We had a 1996 XLT model and thing was reliable as a tank. But I'm not liking this new model, looks too much like a crossover and not a true SUV. Also $50K is alot to swallow for a Ford. At that price I'd rather get a almost-new-used ML.
Ya, I wonder how resale would be affected on a 50K 2011 Explorer
Old 06-05-11, 11:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by KA8
48-50K is for the top-line, option-laden Explorer Limited. Lesser models start out far less than that.....between 30 and 40K. When I went to review the Explorer last winter, the Limited models were the only ones in stock and available for test-drives. That is probably not the case now, depending on which Ford shop you go to.
Old 06-05-11, 11:33 AM
airahcaz
Instructor

Originally Posted by mmarshall
48-50K is for the top-line, option-laden Explorer Limited. Lesser models start out far less than that.....between 30 and 40K. When I went to review the Explorer last winter, the Limited models were the only ones in stock and available for test-drives. That is probably not the case now, depending on which Ford shop you go to.
We like the XLT, but some options I believe force us into a limited, I haven't confirmed, but AWD or 4WD, 3rd row, and power lift-gate is a must, push start button, and power push 3rd row folding is nice.

Alternatively, and although the 2010 MDX is more powerful, better looking, etc, I see 2007 - 2009 MDX's have similar make-up, so I have been comparing to a 2007 MDX w Technology Package which also has the power-lift gate, etc. for $26 - 30K, significantly less

Last edited by airahcaz; 06-05-11 at 11:36 AM.
Old 06-05-11, 06:48 PM
airahcaz
Instructor

wish I could get a 2011 explorer at used certified prices, guess I have to wait 2 18 months or so...