Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Volkswagon Darth Vader Superbowl commercial

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-11, 08:00 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very good commercials, can't wait to see the rest during the Super Bowl!
Old 02-04-11, 08:41 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Default New Volkswagen Passat commercial

Pretty cute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R55e-uHQna0

I have to say, the car looks pretty good.
Old 02-04-11, 08:44 AM
LexFather

^^^ Car looks like a Camry from the 1980s, if you think that also looks good. Not a stylistic bone in its body and way to close to the Jetta.

Old 02-04-11, 08:48 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

In the days when more and more cars look like they were designed by someone who suffers from hallucinations and substance abuse, a car that looks like a 90ies Avalon is a good looking car
Old 02-04-11, 08:55 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
^^^ Car looks like a Camry from the 1980s, if you think that also looks good. Not a stylistic bone in its body and way to close to the Jetta.

The thing about the Volkswagen design language is that you can tell it's a Volkswagen. There's a gradual and progressive evolution to their designs, all of them.

I can't say the same about the Camry, however. Each Camry generation looked like it could have come from a different brand. Granted, the Camry sells based on value and quality, not because it looks good. I think Volkswagen customers care a little more design.

Personally, I like the new Passat. It's handsome and elegant. If I were back in the US, I might consider one.
Old 02-04-11, 08:59 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DustinV
The thing about the Volkswagen design language is that you can tell it's a Volkswagen. There's a gradual and progressive evolution to their designs, all of them.

I can't say the same about the Camry, however. Each Camry generation looked like it could have come from a different brand. Granted, the Camry sells based on value and quality, not because it looks good. I think Volkswagen customers care a little more design.

Personally, I like the new Passat. It's handsome and elegant. If I were back in the US, I might consider one.
Not every car needs to look alike. Its hard to tell theis Jetta and Passat apart and its hard to tell many German cars apart in general. Many people like that design language, others need more imagination.

The car is a snoozefest. Its amazing people bash the Camry/Accord etc for no style and here is VW making snoozefest looking cars. Yawntastic.

The new Passat=this

This was a great design, still good looking today and different and stylish.

Old 02-05-11, 07:19 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Not every car needs to look alike. Its hard to tell theis Jetta and Passat apart and its hard to tell many German cars apart in general. Many people like that design language, others need more imagination.
I agree. I know the recent Audi/VW design language has been criticized as being "lazy", but personally, I like the family resemblance of their vehicles as it enforces the Audi/VW look and appearance. These are handsome, even stylish cars.

The car is a snoozefest. Its amazing people bash the Camry/Accord etc for no style and here is VW making snoozefest looking cars. Yawntastic.
A car can look boring, yet still be considered handsome or elegant. That's how I feel about the new Passat. The design isn't anything radical or emotionally uplifting, yet it doesn't appear offensive. The car looks "happy" and conservative and I believe most people in this particular market, especially VW customers, want something along those lines.

By the way, I like the current Honda Accord and Hyundai Sonata. Camry? Great car, but from a design point of view it doesn't really appeal to me.
Old 02-05-11, 09:24 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Cute commercials. Don't care for the cars, though. Don't like the new styling and, IMO, reliability has been an afterthought. I lump VW in with Chrysler as brands I'll probably never own again.