Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus to empahsize "Performance" at Chicao Auto Show, Five Axis Project CT to debut

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-11, 08:21 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
I am probably the only one, but I don't like what Five axis does. The GS looks the best ,but even that is not my cup of tea. Maybe they look better in person?
put it this way, driving them on the road, that might be weird. but as concept cars i think they are fabulous
Old 02-03-11, 09:45 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Five Axis does this kind of car very tastefully, something I tend to appreciate.
Old 02-03-11, 02:35 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
put it this way, driving them on the road, that might be weird. but as concept cars i think they are fabulous
I suppose my problem is that I never really understood concept cars. If you design a car a certain , build it that way. The reason I say that is b/c there have been some great looking concept cars , but never get mass produced, I mean it is only metal and no matter what shape you make it, it is not going to affect the final price too much. Of , exotic materials is different.
Old 02-03-11, 03:09 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

I suppose my problem is that I never really understood concept cars. If you design a car a certain , build it that way. The reason I say that is b/c there have been some great looking concept cars , but never get mass produced, I mean it is only metal and no matter what shape you make it, it is not going to affect the final price too much. Of , exotic materials is different.
very good point, at times the actual product does look more disappointing than the concepts
Old 02-03-11, 04:40 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
very good point, at times the actual product does look more disappointing than the concepts
Sadly that is often the case.

One concept that made it into production and still looked good was the original Porsche Boxster. I'm trying to see if I can remember some more........
Old 02-03-11, 05:46 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It irks me that 5Axxis does not put their Lexus kits into production.
Old 02-03-11, 08:41 PM
LexFather

^^^I agree, but I think they did put the wheels in production. Even Honda used the same wheels on their CR-Z concept.

I'm really evaluating my trips and this car is really appealing to me in sport trim.

Old 02-04-11, 12:46 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I mean it is only metal and no matter what shape you make it, it is not going to affect the final price too much. Of , exotic materials is different.
I don't want to go off-topic too much, but I just wanted to say, while this is true for the most part, there is more to this story. It actually does matter what shape you want to make the metal; some complex or exotic shapes actually require the metal to be hand-made or shaped by hand. With some of the more complex and exotic metal shapes, technology simply doesn't exist to stamp the metal into that shape. Hand shaping the metal is much more expensive than mass-producing the metal with a stamping press.
Old 02-04-11, 01:26 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

And let's not forget the engineers and bean counters need to have a go at the concept cars as well.

Something that looks good may not function and have mechanical operating problems in the real world. Cars have to be designed to be durable and practical in real life. Rain, snow, desert heat.
Old 02-04-11, 02:52 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I don't want to go off-topic too much, but I just wanted to say, while this is true for the most part, there is more to this story. It actually does matter what shape you want to make the metal; some complex or exotic shapes actually require the metal to be hand-made or shaped by hand. With some of the more complex and exotic metal shapes, technology simply doesn't exist to stamp the metal into that shape. Hand shaping the metal is much more expensive than mass-producing the metal with a stamping press.
I agree, but....

Seriously, the most complex shapes and forms are usually taken care off with plastics these days and that is very easy to make into any shape you want. The metal parts are pretty much straight forward, look at the Five axis stuff, mostly add ons with a little bit of re-engineering.
Old 02-04-11, 08:45 PM
crazybuggy
Racer

performance for Lexus! aww yea!