Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2012 Honda Civic Released (Updated)...Hyundai lol'd

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-11, 06:34 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Slight similarity? It's quite a bit more than that. Honda went with the same general shape as the 5th-gen Camry rear lights first all. They also went with the same reverse light shape and arrangement as the 5th gen Camry.

Honda just made the outer edges of the tails a bit sharper and less round. Otherwise, the resemblance is very similar.
Yes because Toyota invented the shape .. Has it ever crossed your mind that the taillight could be based off of the 02-08 Honda City? Or did Honda steal that too? Design a taillight and I can guarantee it'll either be a 'copy' of some sort, or it'll be too extreme. Mind you some Toyotas share similar design for parts as other cars out there, yet if someone was to point it out, you'd be first in line to defend it.
Old 02-14-11, 06:42 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Yes because Toyota invented the shape .. Has it ever crossed your mind that the taillight could be based off of the 02-08 Honda City? Or did Honda steal that too? Design a taillight and I can guarantee it'll either be a 'copy' of some sort, or it'll be too extreme. Mind you some Toyotas share similar design for parts as other cars out there, yet if someone was to point it out, you'd be first in line to defend it.
if they copied it from their old, cheapo car, even worse.

:-).
Old 02-14-11, 07:45 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by spwolf
if they copied it from their old, cheapo car, even worse.

:-).
Taking their older design and changing it is so incorrect right? As long as they did something to it, then who cares? It's not like they're taking the 02 taillights from the parts department and slapping it onto the 2012 model. My challenges still holds. Design a taillight that doesn't look like anything we've see, and make it not offensive or wild.
Old 02-14-11, 07:53 AM
BunthaKev
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll bet the civic coupe shares no similarities visually with the sedan. The coupe will still be sporty. but have you ever noticed how dramatically diffrent the coupe is, from the sedan with only minor changes?
Old 02-14-11, 10:00 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Same thing could be said about the MB C-Class tail lights. Really, its been a very common shape.

Old 02-14-11, 10:06 AM
LexFather

All I know is I checked out the Elantra and it looks stunning for a car in this segment. The Civic and Corolla should be very worried with their bland/ugly ways. I also like the Cruze for its classy Audisih exterior. The Focus is quirky in a good way.

Honda and Toyota need to realize this is not 1995 anymore. The competition is fierce and getting better every year.

Old 02-14-11, 10:31 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,362 Likes on 1,549 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
All I know is I checked out the Elantra and it looks stunning for a car in this segment. The Civic and Corolla should be very worried with their bland/ugly ways. I also like the Cruze for its classy Audisih exterior. The Focus is quirky in a good way.

Honda and Toyota need to realize this is not 1995 anymore. The competition is fierce and getting better every year.
excellent post.

but as TRD points out, a TON of Americans like bland. the Elantra may be 'too much' for many.

design is a really tricky thing. too 'busy' a design can be sensory overload. too 'plain' a design might be considered 'elegant' one day, and 'boring' the next.

the public is very fickle too. how bmw managed to sell ANY early bangle bmw designs for example is beyond me, but they did, and prospered.

many earlier hyundai/kia designs also (esp. the cuvs) are seriously ugly/boring too. but they sold in reasonable numbers.
Old 02-14-11, 10:34 AM
LexFather

^^^ Oh I agree with you. CIvic/Corolla sell on their name value, known reliability/quality and dare I say "prestige" over the other guys. They clearly dominate here. I just don't know how much longer though they can depend on those merits alone.

Old 02-14-11, 11:33 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

For sales, yes it is good. Just to clarify, I find it disappointing and mediocre that Honda is copying an old Toyota in rear end styling. However, it WILL sell simply because it is bland.

There is a double standard here. Toyota gets heavily criticized here on CL, which is ironic given it's a Lexus forum.

Yet Honda should be given a free pass from criticism?
Do you have facts that Honda just copied the rear of a old Toyota Camry or could it be they just have a similar shape in a design of their own? Show me some taillight designs that are completely original and don't look similar to other cars. Maybe it is better to wait and see it in person before we just dismiss it as Honda copying old Toyota designs. From those pics I see a somewhat similar shape but don't see evidence all they did was copy a Toyota design, if they did copy a Toyota design like you said then I am surprised you don't love it.

I won't even comment that "Honda" gets a free pass on criticism from CL compared to Toyota", that is too funny.

As for criticisms about the looks being similar to the previous model, that is to be expected considering how similar many generations were to each other over the years until a complete redesign. The fifth gen 1992-1995 stayed with that similar design/look to the seventh gen 2001-2005. Styling updates between those generations were mainly just front and rear enhancements between 92-05. It still kept a similar basic shape/design throughout those 3 generations so expecting the completely new 8th generation to change much going into the 9th gen styling wise is a bit unrealistic.

The larger 2.4 liter in the Si will give people the extra torque many complained was missing from smaller displacement Honda 4 cylinders but unfortunately it will no longer be unique and high revving like before that enthusiasts preferred, it may feel watered down now.

The new civic does not look as bland to me from more recent pics as that previous video in the desert, the coupe looks pretty good but I will wait until I see it in person.
Old 02-14-11, 09:11 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah mean this Honda City:

Sorry, I see less resemblance between this and the Civic than compared to the Civic and Camry. Even so, if they took inspiration from a lower end, older Honda model, you have to ask ... why? I can understand taking inspiration from previous Civic generations, but inspiration from a lower end model makes no sense. They could have at least taken inspiration from a higher-end Honda model.

If you feel that some Toyota models share distinct design details with other cars, feel free to point it out.

Taking their older design and changing it is so incorrect right? As long as they did something to it, then who cares? It's not like they're taking the 02 taillights from the parts department and slapping it onto the 2012 model. My challenges still holds. Design a taillight that doesn't look like anything we've see, and make it not offensive or wild.
You see nothing wrong with taking an older design from a lower-end model?

Imagine if Toyota copied the Yaris tails for the new Camry. There would be huge criticism here on CL and many other places if Toyota did that for example.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

On the flipside, Hyundai needs to realize not EVERYONE will like their garish and over the top styling. The new Elantra looks like a previous-gen Elantra that melted and then got plastic surgery. It looks good from some angles, but it looks stretched and over the top from other angles. The styling looks "forced" from some angles, just like a woman who has had plastic surgery has a "forced" appearance.

The Corolla and Civic continue to be big sellers, not in spite of their bland styling, but I argue BECAUSE of their bland styling (well the Civic less so than the Corolla). Focus and Fiesta sales so far have been mediocre, despite the fact that many enthusiasts think they look great. Despite my criticism of this new Civic, I think it will sell very well because it looks more bland, more like a car, and less like a spaceship (which is what the current dated model looks like).

I honestly think the media and enthusiasts are seriously overhyping "stylish" cars and the importance of garish, over the top styling.

Look at the top selling products in all kinds of industries; for the most part, the top selling products are clean, simple designs that some might call bland. Garish, over the top designs are very rarely big sellers, no matter what industry we're looking at here.

As an example, Hyundai with their guerrilla marketing, ghost bloggers, and rude in your face marketing has influenced the media and enthusiasts that garish, over the top design is what the market wants. Ironically, we have yet to see substantial proof of that in terms of Hyundai's sales numbers.
Old 02-14-11, 11:39 PM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honda needs to get rid of their designer(s). All their cars including the Acura division looks hideous. I like the current civic and crv, but that's about it.
Old 02-15-11, 08:36 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Yeah mean this Honda City:

Sorry, I see less resemblance between this and the Civic than compared to the Civic and Camry. Even so, if they took inspiration from a lower end, older Honda model, you have to ask ... why? I can understand taking inspiration from previous Civic generations, but inspiration from a lower end model makes no sense. They could have at least taken inspiration from a higher-end Honda model.
The amount of resemblance you see between the Civic and the City is about the same as the resemblance between the Civic and the Camry. Just because they share some edges doesn't mean it's a 'copy' or so you put it. Toyota didn't invent the curves/lines because there are other cars who had them before, so I guess the Camry is a copy?

There is nothing wrong with continuing the same design theme. Look at the current gen taillights, they're basically the same crap as the 2012 model except it's not as big and flat. We're not talking about major overhaul here . And the comment about the Yaris and Camry, I don't know who you are talking about but if you ever search for my username and the word "copied" you won't find much. That's because I don't believe in this "copying" nonsense. There is only a finite amount of ways to design a housing and as designs keep rolling out, there are less ways of doing things without being called radical or controversial.

The Civic will sell just because it's a Civic. It has been dominant in this category forever and people will stick to it just because they know the merits of the car. The people who are buying these cars under $20k do not have looks at the top of their list. If it is, then they are in the minority.

Last edited by GSteg; 02-15-11 at 08:40 AM.
Old 02-17-11, 05:09 PM
LexFather

Here it is....wow...

Honda has completely lost it. Its uglier yet bland. The interior looks the same. It still has only 200hp in SI form. 39/41/45 MPG Hwy depending on model. It also seems to be a 4x4.

I am in shock at how this is an all new model.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/02/17/2...n-five-flavors

Civic HF, Sedan, Coupe and Natural Gas Specifications

* 140 horsepower, 1.8-liter i-VTEC™ 4-cylinder engine
* 5-speed automatic transmission
* ECO Assist technology
* EPA-estimated Civic HF highway fuel economy: 41 mpg
* EPA-estimated Civic Sedan and Civic Coupe highway fuel economy: 39 mpg

Civic Hybrid Specifications

* 110 horsepower, 1.5-liter i-VTEC™ 4-cylinder engine (combined gasoline + electric)
* Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT)
* Lithium-ion battery
* ECO Assist technology
* EPA-estimated Civic Hybrid city/highway combined fuel economy: 45 mpg

Civic Si Specifications

* 200 horsepower and 170 lb-ft, 2.4-liter i-VTEC™ 4-cylinder engine
* 6-speed manual transmission
* EPA-estimated Civic Si highway fuel economy: 31 mpg

That's right, this is the 2012 Honda Civic in all its glory. Though it might be difficult to tell with just a casual glance, this Civic is brand-new, sharing practically nothing but its moniker with the previous generation. As much as we may have liked some additional visual flair, it seems Honda is being conservative and aiming right for the heart of the market with five separate and distinct flavors of its compact offering.

We'll start with the all-new HF model, which, as you may have guessed, is the most fuel efficient of the non-hybridized Civics that will be available in the United States. Honda expects the HF, with its 1.8-liter i-VTEC engine, to earn EPA-estimated fuel economy of 41 miles per gallon on the highway. The HF will share its aerodynamics package with the returing Civic Hybrid, which manages a combined rating of 45 mpg (a four-mpg improvement over the outgoing Civic Hybrid) thanks to its lithium-ion battery – a Honda-first – and 1.5-liter i-VTEC engine and CVT transmission. There's also a natural gas-powered Civic GX.

While those two models aim for the ultimate in fuel efficiency, we imagine that the standard Sedan and Coupe models will make up the bulk of sales. Buyers will find a 1.8-liter i-VTEC 4-cylinder engine underhood with 140 horsepower that scores an EPA-estimated 39 mpg on the highway (a three-mpg improvement over the last Civic). The Civic soldiers on with a five-speed automatic at a time when most of its competitors are packing six ratios.

And then, of course, there's the sporty Si model. As the Civic that's meant to steal the hearts of performance lovers, it's nice to see a new 2.4-liter powerplant with 200 horsepower mated to a six-speed manual gearbox. Perhaps more importantly, the larger mill pumps out 170 pound-feet of torque, a 22-percent increase over the outgoing twist-starved Si. All that and an additional two mpg on the highway (31 mpg estimated) ought to make for a reasonably fun everyday commuter.

And now to the styling. We'll start off on a positive note: the 2012 Honda Civic is not ugly. Problem is, it's also not hugely attractive. In fact, *yawn* it's not really anything. Both inside and out, this latest Civic is barely distinguishable from the previous generation, and as competitors continue pushing their design envelope forward, well... we really expect more these days. Let's hope the driving dynamics live up to our lofty expectations, and let's also hope that Honda accidentally left the shipping blocks in the cars it used for photography – particularly the Si models – or the new model looks a bit high-riding.

In any case, you don't have to take our word for it. See the 2012 Civic for yourself in our high-res image gallery below and feel free to peruse the full press release after the break.

Last edited by LexFather; 02-17-11 at 05:28 PM.

Old 02-17-11, 05:12 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That has to be the most depressing interior I've seen in a long, long time.
Old 02-17-11, 05:28 PM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...and they'll still sell a gazillion of them.

Quick Reply: 2012 Honda Civic Released (Updated)...Hyundai lol'd