Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2012 Honda Civic Released (Updated)...Hyundai lol'd

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-11, 05:39 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Maybe they're going for the Mitsu EVO design. Basically the same thing generation after generation
Old 02-17-11, 05:46 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL at the interior. Apart from the gauges and nav, that is such a dated and completely plain interior. It makes a Corolla interior look modern; it even makes the previous-gen Civic interior look modern .

Also what's with listing only highway fuel economy? Where are the city mpg numbers Honda? Afraid to show them? Nice highway economy improvements, but not class-leading.

The regular Civic gets basically zero powertrain refinements, apart from slight mpg boosts. The Civic Si remains with the same power, although it gets more torque.

Also have to laugh at that HUGE wheel gap. The Civic Si doesn't even look sporty anymore; it just looks dorky. I'd buy a Scion tC over this new Si, and I don't even like the tC styling that much .

Honda also needs to stop with the rice-looking "i-VTEC" and "DOHC" exterior stickers/signage. This is the not the 80s anymore Honda. It makes the cars look dated and tacky.

I get almost a Chevy Cobalt vibe looking at the rear end of the Si.

Only thing I can give Honda credit for it that it looks more like car than the previous-gen.

Absolutely have zero interest in this product, but it will sell because it's bland.
Old 02-17-11, 05:46 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

so the hybrid gets lithium tech and manages to make fewer horses and be less efficient than the prius.
Old 02-17-11, 05:59 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the interior is fine for an economy car.

the exterior is a letdown.

what's up with the tiny fixed piece of glass near the side mirrors? why did they do that....
Old 02-17-11, 06:07 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RXSF
so the hybrid gets lithium tech and manages to make fewer horses and be less efficient than the prius.
Honda fails yet again with a hybrid model.
Old 02-17-11, 06:13 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's sad is that this car will still sell, if only because people seem to be programmed to believe that the Civic is the ONLY cheap car out there to buy or something. This is a conversation I had recently with one of my girl friends looking for a new car at this price bracket:
Her: Well I want a new car, so it's basically the Corolla or Civic right? I mean the Corolla is boring, so the Civic right?
Me: Well how about the Mazda 3
Her: My parents told me the Civic is better. Plus my friend has a Mazda 3. So I should go with the Civic right?
Me: Well how about the Hyundai Elantra
Her: A Korean car? Yeah right! So I should go with the Civic right?

etc. etc. etc.

A few days later I sent her a picture of the new Elantra without telling her what it was and she fell in love with it.
Her: "IS THIS THE NEW CIVIC?!?!?!"

smh
Old 02-17-11, 06:18 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sucks to admit, but Hyundai has better designs than Toyota and Honda now.
Old 02-17-11, 06:22 PM
cl400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
For sales, yes it is good. Just to clarify, I find it disappointing and mediocre that Honda is copying an old Toyota in rear end styling. However, it WILL sell simply because it is bland.

I may not like it, but I am still aware of what the market likes, and the market likes bland.

However, while looking bland, the rear also looks dated. It's possible to make a bland design look modern as opposed to dated, there is a difference in that regard. So there is a small chance consumers may shun this Civic for it's dated design, even if it is bland. It is a small chance though and unlikely to happen.

Slight similarity? It's quite a bit more than that. Honda went with the same general shape as the 5th-gen Camry rear lights first all. They also went with the same reverse light shape and arrangement as the 5th gen Camry.

Honda just made the outer edges of the tails a bit sharper and less round. Otherwise, the resemblance is very similar.

No. It's because there is a double standard. When Toyota does something bland like the new Avalon, it is heavily criticized, despite the fact the Avalon targets a non-sporty and older demographic.

When Honda does bland *and* dated design on a new model, it's supposed to get a free pass from criticism?

Yes the Civic is a sub-20K car. However, ALL kinds of buyers purchase the Civic, from young to old.

I'm not criticizing this design because it's bland. It should be bland, and I'm glad Honda made it look more like a car and less like a spaceship. I'm criticizing the design for being unoriginal and dated.

There is a double standard here. Toyota gets heavily criticized here on CL, which is ironic given it's a Lexus forum.

Yet Honda should be given a free pass from criticism?

i think 1998 sonata came out first.
Old 02-17-11, 06:25 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by knihc2008
What's sad is that this car will still sell, if only because people seem to be programmed to believe that the Civic is the ONLY cheap car out there to buy or something. This is a conversation I had recently with one of my girl friends looking for a new car at this price bracket:
Her: Well I want a new car, so it's basically the Corolla or Civic right? I mean the Corolla is boring, so the Civic right?
Me: Well how about the Mazda 3
Her: My parents told me the Civic is better. Plus my friend has a Mazda 3. So I should go with the Civic right?
Me: Well how about the Hyundai Elantra
Her: A Korean car? Yeah right! So I should go with the Civic right?

etc. etc. etc.

A few days later I sent her a picture of the new Elantra without telling her what it was and she fell in love with it.
Her: "IS THIS THE NEW CIVIC?!?!?!"

smh
Sad but true. Honda sells completely on past merits. They have done nothing truly incredible in what over a decade now? All we've gotten are more ugly and more misses and the same old powertrains etc etc.

What is SCARY is they DELAYED the Civic to make it better and make it smaller and more competitive and this is what they came up with?

Honda fails yet again with a hybrid model.
It is ridiculous that the latest Prius debuted first and now the Insight, CR-Z and new Civic hybrid are not close to its MPG. It is utterly amazing to think this.

Originally Posted by GlobeCLK
sucks to admit, but Hyundai has better designs than Toyota and Honda now.
The Elantra destroys this inside and out. Honda has the edge on reliability and "image" but I think people are going to finally realize the competition is better. I worry for the next Corolla as well.

It is clear Honda is satisfied selling average and ugly to loyal fanbois and to those that buy b/c of the badge. There is no excuse for this kind of debut.

WHERE IS THE CONNECTIVITY?

Old 02-17-11, 06:43 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Next-gen Corolla is supposed to be a big upgrade over the current Corolla.

Toyota will likely push Entune on all new models, including the next Corolla. This is actually something Hyundai and others have to worry about. Ford and Toyota now both have sophisticated infotainment systems, with the Toyota one debuting in a few months. GM supposedly is also going to introduce it's own infotainment system later this year.

One thing Toyota better get right is having at least 40 mpg highway on all models for the next-gen Corolla.
Old 02-17-11, 06:56 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Next-gen Corolla is supposed to be a big upgrade over the current Corolla.

Toyota will likely push Entune on all new models, including the next Corolla. This is actually something Hyundai and others have to worry about. Ford and Toyota now both have sophisticated infotainment systems, with the Toyota one debuting in a few months. GM supposedly is also going to introduce it's own infotainment system later this year.

One thing Toyota better get right is having at least 40 mpg highway on all models for the next-gen Corolla.
Speak of the devil, this just happened:
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/02/17/c...-toyota-entun/
Old 02-17-11, 06:58 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.
Old 02-17-11, 07:26 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Honda is dead.
Old 02-17-11, 07:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,424 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Absolutely have zero interest in this product, but it will sell because it's bland.
oh right, so bland is bad with honda, good with toyota, and not-bland is bad with hyundai. just trying to keep score.
Old 02-17-11, 08:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,424 Likes on 1,588 Posts

but i agree all, that civic (interior especially) is monumentally ugly.

i don't get the asymmetric interior / angled center stack. it's really hard to make that look good, and that one isn't good.

Quick Reply: 2012 Honda Civic Released (Updated)...Hyundai lol'd