Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2012 Honda Civic Released (Updated)...Hyundai lol'd

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-11, 07:27 PM
acheparev
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like a Neon and a Saturn had a baby.
Old 02-18-11, 07:37 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by acheparev
Looks like a Neon and a Saturn had a baby.

Old 02-18-11, 08:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

They need to toss that split-level dash/gauge setup. They had a chance to do it for 2012, and (apparantly) still haven't done it. Now we have to wait at least four more years.
Old 02-18-11, 08:56 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The new Civic looks great in and out, at least in these pics. Not sure why all the hate.

There are far worse cars in its class, especially the new tC, which is 90ies GM like junk, and far worse than its predecessor, yet I don't see anyone complaining.

I find the new Civic attractive, I showed these pics to my wife and daughter, they said it looks cool. I'm sure its going to continue to sell as good and even better than the previous model. As far as performance figures, its a damn econobox, not sure why everyone seems to have been expecting it to be some sort of super car.
Old 02-18-11, 09:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
The new Civic looks great in and out, at least in these pics. Not sure why all the hate.
Yes, the Civic is a good car, but is it hate to simply desire a more-conventional dash? I never have been a fan of the split-level dash (with the digital speedometer)....and probably never will be. The designers had a chance, with the new model, to toss that set-up....and didn't. Now we'll have to want for at least (maybe) the next-generation model.

There are far worse cars in its class, especially the new tC, which is 90ies GM like junk, and far worse than its predecessor, yet I don't see anyone complaining.
When I reviewed the new tC a few months ago, I thoroughly described its thin-plastic interior cheapness and cost-cutting.
Old 02-18-11, 09:04 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Hahaha.

This is the most epic of all known fails.

Here's the 12 year old Dodge Neon near the not even out yet '12 Civic.

Attached Thumbnails 2012 Honda Civic Released (Updated)...Hyundai lol'd-04-2012-honda-civic.jpg  
Old 02-18-11, 09:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
Hahaha.

This is the most epic of all known fails.

Here's the 12 year old Dodge Neon near the not even out yet '12 Civic.
You're counting your chickens before they are hatched.....and assuming something that probably won't happen. The Civic, no matter what its design, has never failed in the American market since it was first introduced here in the early 70's.
Old 02-18-11, 09:18 PM
LexFather

It might not sell as well as the current model. Honda has dropped quite a few sales duds as of late
Element-never met sales goals
Crossturd-never met sales goals
Rimjob-never met sales goals
Insight-never met sales goals
CR-Zzzzz-not currently meeting sales goals
Accord refresh-hasn't helped sales at all
Odyessy-hasn't seen a huge jump in sales and its all new
RL-never met sales goals
TL-sales dropped 50%
RDX-never met sales goals
ZDX-50% of sales target

The CR-Z has been a huge hit.

I think people are waking up and realizing Honda is selling average/ugly on their 1980s/1990s track record. Ford, GM, Hyundai, Kia, Chrysler and Toyota are wide awake. Honda is completely lost.

Old 02-18-11, 09:41 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From this

To this

The clunky steering wheel and the cheap-looking gear lever housings don't seem to help either

Damn, and to think I like the interior of the 8th gen Civic (FD). With this new 9th gen one, I'm afraid not. Rather, this new interior looks like a pieceof****

What looks ***** now stays **** later

Last edited by Blackraven; 02-18-11 at 10:27 PM.
Old 02-19-11, 02:02 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
They need to toss that split-level dash/gauge setup. They had a chance to do it for 2012, and (apparantly) still haven't done it. Now we have to wait at least four more years.
Yes they need to, however knowing Honda, they will stubbornly continue to use the split-level dash.

Originally Posted by Och

I find the new Civic attractive, I showed these pics to my wife and daughter, they said it looks cool. I'm sure its going to continue to sell as good and even better than the previous model. As far as performance figures, its a damn econobox, not sure why everyone seems to have been expecting it to be some sort of super car.
I strongly disagree, I think the new tC easily looks better than this, and I don't even like the new tC.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
It might not sell as well as the current model. Honda has dropped quite a few sales duds as of late
Element-never met sales goals
Crossturd-never met sales goals
Insight-never met sales goals
CR-Zzzzz-not currently meeting sales goals
Accord refresh-hasn't helped sales at all
Odyessy-hasn't seen a huge jump in sales and its all new
RL-never met sales goals
TL-sales dropped 50%
RDX-never met sales goals
ZDX-50% of sales target

The CR-Z has been a huge hit.

I think people are waking up and realizing Honda is selling average/ugly on their 1980s/1990s track record. Ford, GM, Hyundai, Kia, Chrysler and Toyota are wide awake. Honda is completely lost.
I agree, but the CR-V continues to sell like hotcakes, and unfortunately the ugly Pilot and Odyssey are not dropping that much sales-wise. It seems Honda's core models (Civic, CR-V, Accord, Pilot, Odyssey) will continue to sell well despite the ugly. Non-core Honda models certainly seem to be struggling sales-wise.
Old 02-19-11, 03:16 AM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Awesome post, but which model were you referring to? I am unaware of the Honda Rimjob. The Crossturd=Crosstour, go that. Rimjob=Honda ???
Old 02-19-11, 05:12 AM
LexFather

Rimjob= Ridgeline

Old 02-19-11, 06:34 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

You're counting your chickens before they are hatched.....and assuming something that probably won't happen. The Civic, no matter what its design, has never failed in the American market since it was first introduced here in the early 70's.
Not saying the new Civic will be a sales failure. It most definitely will not be simply because it's a "Civic". I was just pointing out the completely underwhelming new design that somehow feels more dated and generic than the 6 year old model it replaces. That's the fail. Oh, and that overall, it's very reminiscent of a 12 year old NEON.

No one's suggesting a sales flop. This will continue being either #1 or #2 (with Corolla) indefinitely. Regardless of the fact that nearly all of these two car's competition has become superior ('12 Focus, Cruze, Elantra).
Old 02-19-11, 09:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
Not saying the new Civic will be a sales failure. It most definitely will not be simply because it's a "Civic". I was just pointing out the completely underwhelming new design that somehow feels more dated and generic than the 6 year old model it replaces. That's the fail. Oh, and that overall, it's very reminiscent of a 12 year old NEON.

No one's suggesting a sales flop. This will continue being either #1 or #2 (with Corolla) indefinitely. Regardless of the fact that nearly all of these two car's competition has become superior ('12 Focus, Cruze, Elantra).
OK... Thanks for clarifying that. Your previous post (at least to me) suggested that you were saying that the new Civic would be a sales flop. The chances are, of course, that that just won't happen.
Old 02-19-11, 10:41 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes, the Civic is a good car, but is it hate to simply desire a more-conventional dash? I never have been a fan of the split-level dash (with the digital speedometer)....and probably never will be. The designers had a chance, with the new model, to toss that set-up....and didn't. Now we'll have to want for at least (maybe) the next-generation model.

When I reviewed the new tC a few months ago, I thoroughly described its thin-plastic interior cheapness and cost-cutting.
Mike, Im not singling you out by any means, your comments are very objective pretty much always. Its just that general comments on the new civic are very negative from seemingly everyone here, and I don't understand why. Sure no car is perfect, and the new Civic will have its flaws, but overall its a good looking, practical, economical car. Compared to some of Honda's other efforts, which are truly ugly, the Civic is excellent.

Quick Reply: 2012 Honda Civic Released (Updated)...Hyundai lol'd