Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2012 Honda Civic Released (Updated)...Hyundai lol'd

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-11, 06:24 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Yes, you have to consider the segment. Priorities are different for potential buyers. Cars like the Civic, Corolla etc. do well year after year generaton after generation.
Old 04-21-11, 06:31 AM
LexFather

Sorry I don't believe that. I browsed Civic forums and they are very very disappointed and many owners point that Honda interiors (like Toyota) used to have interiors with better materials than the competition in the past which was a a buying factor. They complain of the hard plastics in new Hondas and do not like the new Civic interior. People that had the opportunity to check it out are very disappointed.

I agree, in the past people bought Honda/Toyota b/c their interiors were seen as better built with better materials. This new Civic seems to be behind the competition and its the newest entry and was delayed.

Old 04-21-11, 06:39 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This "new" Civic is very similar in translation to the "new" Corolla in 2009 - everyone was rolling their eyes then, too. Both cars were barely different from their predecessors but I think the Corolla is a bit nicer inside and did get slightly more differentiation vs. the old model than the Civic did.

When I first saw the pics above, I actually thought it might have been a mistake - like someone uploaded the wrong set of images to autoblog.
Old 04-21-11, 06:43 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,473 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Most buyers don't care about the hard interior plastics and the car being not fancy.
They buy it for the reliability and MPG factor which are both very good,bitkahuna.
i'm not even talking about hard interior plastics or not being fancy. i'm talking about being just plain freakin' weird with so many angles, asymmetry, multiple guage clusters, plain surfaces, and look at those seats... they look like they could have come from walmart.

i'd get an elantra over this civic every time! no brainer.

but yes, there are a lot of sheople who buy on brand/reputation/consumer-reports alone.
Old 04-21-11, 06:54 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i'm not even talking about hard interior plastics or not being fancy. i'm talking about being just plain freakin' weird with so many angles, asymmetry, multiple guage clusters, plain surfaces, and look at those seats... they look like they could have come from walmart.

but yes, there are a lot of sheople who buy on brand/reputation/consumer-reports alone.

Actually,the new Elantra is very nice and I would definitely consider the car.It wasn't what is is today back in '08.
Old 04-21-11, 07:03 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

it has to be said that Honda was always weird... Only Acura escapes this inherent weirdness of their designs, especially inside.
Old 04-21-11, 07:51 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

They basically tilted the center console towards the driver and called it a day. Hyundai here I come.
Old 04-21-11, 07:53 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Joeb427

Actually,the new Elantra is very nice and I would definitely consider the car.It wasn't what is is today back in '08.
The competition is good for the consumer.

With improved offerings in this segment from Chevy, Hyundai, Kia, Ford and Honda, there is a lot to choose from.
Old 04-21-11, 08:17 AM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sorry, did someone just say ACURA'S design ISN'T weird? What?????
Old 04-21-11, 09:51 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,473 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
it has to be said that Honda was always weird... Only Acura escapes this inherent weirdness of their designs, especially inside.
they used to make beautiful interiors. this is similar to the legend i had in the early 90's...

Old 04-21-11, 09:56 AM
LexFather

they used to make beautiful interiors. this is similar to the legend i had in the early 90's...

Perfection. To this day. Great materials, great ergonomics and REAL WOOD.

Old 04-21-11, 10:03 AM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

^ I agree, but to keep it relevant, If I had to use weird, especially, and Acura all in the same sentence, it would read, "Acura is especially weird, except (maybe) their interiors.". Aside from the Pontiac Aztek and a handful of Ssangyongs, Acura takes the cake when it comes to weird.
Old 04-21-11, 10:21 AM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

That is absolutely ridiculous. If I was a Honda enthusiast I would be pissed. Brand loyalty or not if anyone wanted to see an example of sheep look at the buyers of this car. Horrible!!!
Old 04-21-11, 10:28 AM
LexFather

The people working and buying them today need to heed the founders words.

Old 04-21-11, 12:30 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

This is a crowded field. Sales thru March:

77k Corolla
65k Civic
50k Cruze (I was surprised)
41k Elantra

Factor in the new Focus, new Civic, Elantra gaining momentum and it will be a dog fight between the manufacturers. Nissan, Mazda and Kia also sell a lot of cars in the segment.

Quick Reply: 2012 Honda Civic Released (Updated)...Hyundai lol'd