Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2012 Honda Civic Released (Updated)...Hyundai lol'd

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-11, 03:37 AM
suislide
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The new Civic gets 2mpg more than the Fit. Kinda makes the Fit irrelevant since someone could be a Civic Sedan that has more power and perhaps more legroom.
Old 04-22-11, 05:21 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
And neither engine has direct injection right?
No Honda or Acura has direct injection. That is oddly too advanced for this supposed "engineering" company.

Old 04-22-11, 05:24 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You guys knocked the last generation styling too.
It doesn't matter how it looks.
The Civic is going to sell.
Old 04-22-11, 05:33 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Some like it, I think its horrendous. That said it seemed to be a better car than the previous generation no questions asked whereas this version is uglier and seems worse than the last generation. So thats a problem.

Then its compounded by tremendously better competition today. When the last Civic debuted the competition was no where near as fierce.

Surely people will buy it, it is a Honda, its a Civic. That said I am going to predict it will not sell as well as the last model nor will this model extend its legacy in a positive matter.
Again, they pushed the release date back and this is what they came up with?
Honda used to lead and this is far from leading. As a matter of fact is is very worrying b/c Honda sucks at luxury but always was seen as a leader in the small car segment. If they can't lead where they are supposed to be best at, this is an issue.

Old 04-22-11, 05:39 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Some like it, I think its horrendous. That said it seemed to be a better car than the previous generation no questions asked whereas this version is uglier and seems worse than the last generation. So thats a problem.

Then its compounded by tremendously better competition today. When the last Civic debuted the competition was no where near as fierce.

Surely people will buy it, it is a Honda, its a Civic. That said I am going to predict it will not sell as well as the last model nor will this model extend its legacy in a positive matter.
Again, they pushed the release date back and this is what they came up with?
Honda used to lead and this is far from leading. As a matter of fact is is very worrying b/c Honda sucks at luxury but always was seen as a leader in the small car segment. If they can't lead where they are supposed to be best at, this is an issue.
That's true.
I think the Corolla will lose sales too.Plenty of competition in that market.
I'm not a fan of the new Civic design.The last generation was nicer,no doubt.
Old 04-22-11, 05:44 AM
LexFather

That's true.
I think the Corolla will lose sales too.Plenty of competition in that market.
I'm not a fan of the new Civic design.The last generation was nicer,no doubt.
I don't like the Corolla either. Its actually more stunning to me that Toyota sells more Corollas than Civics. That said it is the most reliable, it is very well built and will last forever. It shows what people really want, just reliable basic transportation. They dropped the XRS model with 170hp b/c no one bought it.

That said they better step it up with the next gen model b/c VW dumbed down its Jetta to 1995 Corolla levels and people love it and its selling like hotcakes. Its the damnest thing, make your car crappier and people love it.

Maybe that is what Honda is shooting for?

Old 04-22-11, 05:46 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

I agree, the new Civic will sell well even with the controversial update, and in the face of greatly increased competition. Typical buyers of small sedans have different priorities.
Old 04-22-11, 07:00 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I agree, the new Civic will sell well even with the controversial update, and in the face of greatly increased competition. Typical buyers of small sedans have different priorities.
i bet a lot of regular buyers (read: older) will buy Civic...
Old 04-22-11, 07:08 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

I don't like the Corolla either. Its actually more stunning to me that Toyota sells more Corollas than Civics. That said it is the most reliable, it is very well built and will last forever. It shows what people really want, just reliable basic transportation. They dropped the XRS model with 170hp b/c no one bought it.

That said they better step it up with the next gen model b/c VW dumbed down its Jetta to 1995 Corolla levels and people love it and its selling like hotcakes. Its the damnest thing, make your car crappier and people love it.

Maybe that is what Honda is shooting for?
it made the car cheaper...
Old 04-22-11, 07:39 AM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Worst part about the new SI is that its literally un-tunable. Header is not changeable. No exhaust cam just intake. Tuning for the 2.4 tsx is non existent. I'm not even sure if fanboys will buy the 2012 SI.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcBN5...layer_embedded
Old 04-22-11, 10:36 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

Because the last generation styling is still horrible.... but when Honda comes out with something even uglier, it makes the last gen seem a bit nicer. They both still suck hard, it's just that this new one sucks harder.
Old 04-22-11, 11:32 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

It didn't get uglier because it looks the same

But really, it's not 'ugly'. It's just very very tame (read: bland) compared to the competition.
Old 04-22-11, 11:34 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

No Honda or Acura has direct injection. That is oddly too advanced for this supposed "engineering" company.
Yeah, I am sure Honda/Acura and buyers want them to jump right into Direct Injection just to say they have it especially seeing how reliable it is turning out to be. The last time I looked the IS250 thread dealing with Direct Injection issues/carbon buildup is well over 20 pages long, those owners must love needing major engine cleaning/maintenance on their cars with less then 60K miles. Audi, BMW, VW, GM, and Porsche models with direct injection are all having issues stemming from Direct Injection systems. Some Porsche GT3 owners are thankful the GT3 engine does not have DI and some speculate Porsche is not utilizing DI in that motor because of DI issues.

There is a reason Honda is not bothering with DI and buyers are not demanding it, the benefits do not come close to outweighing all the issues, complexity, and expense of DI. DI is not all its hyped up to be, you can get power/fuel economy through other means. I am glad Honda did not just jump into it only to then have a bunch of issues later down the line. Unless they are able to perfect it to where it is completely reliable/does not cause carbon buildup/oil consumption/degredation issues, it is not noisy, and will not force owners to have to make a very expensive repair/replacement down the line I doubt you will be seeing DI even from Honda's newer engines due soon and I doubt people are going to complain much. I don't want DI after reading about all the problems unless all its issues have been addressed.

Once you have significant carbon buildup you lose all the advantages DI was supposed to give you-more power/better fuel economy. If you have to pay hundreds of dollars to get your engine taken apart and cleaned you are well behind in any fuel savings you might have had from DI.

I am disappointed in the new civic also but this was pretty much expected considering the civic normally does not change much from generation to generation after a complete redesign like last generation. Bland and reliable is what most people want especially in this segment and is what sells these days, look at the Corolla for no further proof which also has no DI, only has a 4 speed auto/5 speed manual with 132hp and it is a huge seller.
Old 04-23-11, 01:20 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bad co
No di in the stang, ford said it doesn't need it, and that it makes good power w/ o it. Ford said they'll add it in the future for a power bump and a mpg bump.
Thanks for the correction. That makes that V6 that much more impressive. Proud to be a stock holder.
Old 04-23-11, 05:36 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Because the last generation styling is still horrible.... but when Honda comes out with something even uglier, it makes the last gen seem a bit nicer. They both still suck hard, it's just that this new one sucks harder.
and still will be top ten in sales.

Quick Reply: 2012 Honda Civic Released (Updated)...Hyundai lol'd