Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2012 Honda Civic Released (Updated)...Hyundai lol'd

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-10, 10:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
They just do not get it right with any new model - either it's ridiculously overstyled or generically understyled.
The Civic and Accord, though, are two of Honda's bread-and-butter products.

The designers are going to think twice before making any really outlandish style-changes that could turn people away. In fact, I'm surprised they went as far on the current-generation Civic, in 2006, as they did, with the wedge-shaped front end, small A-pillar windows, and bi-level primary dash gauges.
Old 10-11-10, 10:40 AM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Civic and Accord, though, are two of Honda's bread-and-butter products.

The designers are going to think twice before making any really outlandish style-changes that could turn people away.
Ok, but to remain stagnant when the competition is clearly coming out with more modern/edgy designs in this class just shows how out of touch with consumer trends they really are. Hyundai took a big chance with the new Sonata and it has paid off tremendously for them - the sales numbers prove this. I know you tend to favor the more conservative designs in general, but this new Civic is just way too boring for a 2012 model.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
In fact, I'm surprised they went as far on the current-generation Civic, in 2006, as they did, with the wedge-shaped front end, small A-pillar windows, and bi-level primary dash gauges.
It was a risk for sure, but it paid off. If I owned a current generation Civic and was considering trading up for a newer model when it comes out, I would seriously reconsider after seeing what the next generation looks like. It just has no modern styling characteristics whatsoever - especially from the side profile. Ugh, could they make it any more boring?
Old 10-11-10, 11:03 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Watch the 2011 Civic's sales jump when people see this thing, lol.
Old 10-11-10, 11:15 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Although I hate this new Civic design, and haven't liked a Civic design since 2 generations ago, something needs to pointed out.

All these "edgy" designs that enthusiasts talk all day long about on internet forums don't really sell that well. The compact car sales leader in the US is the Corolla, followed by the Civic. No other competitors comes close to the sales of these two. The biggest seller after the Civic is the Focus, and there is a big gap between Civic and Focus sales. The spaceship Civic still being a big seller is an exception, as the polarizing spaceship design hasn't affected the Civic's reputation to a big extent yet. That's probably why they went with a more bland design this time.

Bland sells.

The new Civic being more bland is not a huge problem, as it will likely sell well and appeal more to the masses than the current spaceship design. The problem with this new Civic design is that it looks dated already. Arguably it looks just as dated, if not more so than the current Corolla. The Corolla is getting a redesign however in the next 2-3 years.

This new Civic should have looked bland and modern. Honda failed here because they could make this new Civic look very modern.

As for the Sonata, we'll see if it can continue its sales in the future, or if it will drop off in sales like the previous-gen Sonata did. When the previous-gen Sonata first debuted, sales were pretty good, then they dropped. Will the Sonata be able to maintain consistent sales like the class leaders? That is the real question.
Old 10-11-10, 11:51 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

TRDFantasy, sure bland plays a role in sales but in the case of Civic, Corolla, Camry, & Accord, the cars will always sell in high numbers because they wear those legendary names. Styling almost doesn't matter unless they really made them offensively ugly.

The current Civic pushed the styling envelope for compacts and sales continued on. Toyota could make the Corolla very stylized and I bet sales would be just as strong perhaps dropping a few customers while gaining others.
Old 10-11-10, 12:17 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
TRDFantasy, sure bland plays a role in sales but in the case of Civic, Corolla, Camry, & Accord, the cars will always sell in high numbers because they wear those legendary names. Styling almost doesn't matter unless they really made them offensively ugly.

The current Civic pushed the styling envelope for compacts and sales continued on. Toyota could make the Corolla very stylized and I bet sales would be just as strong perhaps dropping a few customers while gaining others.
The names/reputations means a lot, but edgy or stylized designs risk alienating consumers.

This was part of my point though; Honda going back to a more bland design means they realized that the spaceship design was a mistake and was pushing it a bit too far with a mainstream car.

With that said, a car can look modern and somewhat stylish without looking edgy or alienating.

I think vehicles like the new Focus and Fiesta as well as the new Sienna are good examples IMO. They look modern, somewhat stylish, without too edgy or alienating.

I think automakers now must balance modern design with some style, while keeping some bland or mainstream styling elements, as to not alienate buyers too much.

Honda IMO is failing in this sense.
Old 10-11-10, 03:51 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I never thought i would say that i want an elantra over the civic. Sad...
Old 10-11-10, 05:44 PM
YEH
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
All these "edgy" designs that enthusiasts talk all day long about on internet forums don't really sell that well. The compact car sales leader in the US is the Corolla, followed by the Civic. No other competitors comes close to the sales of these two. The biggest seller after the Civic is the Focus, and there is a big gap between Civic and Focus sales. The spaceship Civic still being a big seller is an exception, as the polarizing spaceship design hasn't affected the Civic's reputation to a big extent yet. That's probably why they went with a more bland design this time.

Bland sells.
It's not so much that "bland sells", but rather that attractive design is a consideration that comes after other factors such as reliability, features, MPG, price, etc.

The Civic and Corolla were able to dominate this segment (even w/ bland styling) b/c there were no competitors which could match them on the other, more impt. factors.

However, w/ the new offerings by Ford, Hyundai/Kia, GM, etc. being competitive on these fronts - good/interesting design can be the diff. maker.

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
As for the Sonata, we'll see if it can continue its sales in the future, or if it will drop off in sales like the previous-gen Sonata did. When the previous-gen Sonata first debuted, sales were pretty good, then they dropped. Will the Sonata be able to maintain consistent sales like the class leaders? That is the real question.
The NF Sonata never came close to the sales success of the YF on the sales charts.
Old 10-11-10, 06:47 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts

I agree bland does sell, but there are several grades of blandness. There's frumpy blandness (like the new Civic), athletic/trim blandness, heavy blandness (luxury), and nerdy blandness. So, there's good and bad blandness. This is not good blandness.
Old 10-11-10, 07:04 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

This is a weak point frankly. The midsize segment has had a lot of competition, and a lot of very good vehicles are available in the midsize segment.

However, that has not changed the fact that the Camry continues to be the clear sales leader and no other competitor except the Accord comes close.

Edgy or polarizing designs do not sell very well. History has proven that time and time again. I do not wish to argue this point.

As for the Sonata, you missed my point. The previous generation Sonata started off with decent sales, and then PERCENTAGE-WISE the sales dropped as time went on.

Here are the sales figures to show what I mean:

Sonata sales for:

2004: 107,189
2005: 130,365
2006: 149,513
2007: 145,568
2008: 117,357
2009: 120,028

The previous-gen Sonata debuted in the middle of 2005. Sales increased in 2005 and in 2006 thanks to the new model, but they then started to go down and did not recover.

Like I said, it remains to be seen if the new Sonata can continue with consistent sales in the future. The previous gen Sonata had a fairly high percentage sold to fleets too if I remember correctly, especially in 2009.

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I agree bland does sell, but there are several grades of blandness. There's frumpy blandness (like the new Civic), athletic/trim blandness, heavy blandness (luxury), and nerdy blandness. So, there's good and bad blandness. This is not good blandness.
I see your point, although I wouldn't put it into those terms.

As I said, the new Civic is bland and it looks dated already, which is a bad combination. Arguably it looks more dated than the current Corolla. The rear is really what gives it such a dated look.
Old 10-11-10, 07:12 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Yup.

Camry = very nice blandness

This new Civic, particularly beyond the front end, is dated, bloated, unoriginal, second thought, awkwardly shaped blandness.

When I look at these pictures of the 2012 Civic, I honestly feel like these are 2005 pics of an alternative version that was dropped in favor of the current design. Seriously, it's that dated.
Old 10-11-10, 07:18 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The one advantage the Honda Civic always had over its competitor Corolla, Sentra, and others - is the coupe version. Civic sedan has always been bland. Lets wait for the coupe.
Old 10-11-10, 07:26 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Coupe sales only make up a small fraction of Civic sales though. Sedan styling is a bigger deal in terms of the market segment.
Old 10-11-10, 07:33 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Even the Hyundai Accent (class below of course) is more compelling than the Civic. If I had my choice, I'd take the Accent.

Old 10-11-10, 08:08 PM
LexFather

I guess I'm slightly puzzled why anyone is surprised. This is going on for a few years now with them.

I wasn't expecting anything but ugly and underwhelming.

Quick Reply: 2012 Honda Civic Released (Updated)...Hyundai lol'd